Road Trip!!!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Road Trip!!!!

Post by jaxsun_12 »

Well on Wednesday I'm taking jack to visit my family in Prince George. It's about a 9 hour drive. Since it's the first big trip he will be taking in the car i was wondering if there is anything special i should be doing with him the night before and during the trip. I was going to freeze a bunch of water bottles and put them in the back seat with him, stop every couple hours for a pee/zoomie break, and have all the windows down. is there any suggestions from my fellow road trippers out there??
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

When I brought Yoshi across, He slept most of the way except poddy stops, you might want to pack some rawhides to occupy jaxson. I had food and water, he ate a bit but drank moreIs it really hot there? If so you should probably run the ac if you have it

David
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

It will probably be hot in the car but i dont have ac:(:(
BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hmmm

Post by BigTrucker »

Not having A/C will be ruff. I travel for a living with my chow...If the A/C goes down...we're in a shop and hotel. But I do this for a living. All I suggest is a lot of water, and a lot of breaks for walks...it'll make it easier for Jack. Additionally, stop by a truckstop (or dare I say, Kmart or equivilant), and purchase a vehicle fan that plugs into a ciggerette lighter. These fans are cheap and give good air flow. The only problem is that your moving hot air around. Even with the windows down, It'll be hot. I like the frozen ice bottle idea. If you can afford to rent a economy class car with A/C...you might be better off. I don't know what the temperature will be on your route...plan ahead and get the forecast for the days your traveling...it might not be that bad. Travel at night...it will be cooler but then you get the driver fatigue factor and wildlife crossings. I almost hit an elk and a fawn at 3am this morning crossing route 200 between Missoula, MT and Great Falls, MT. This truck just came out of the body shop :shock: .However, My trip at night was a cool 54 degrees...in the day its 95 degrees. Hope this helps...just make the correct preperations. Drive safe.

John
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

We have a/c but only put it on when we were in 90 plus temps as Millie & Milo HATE not being able to have the wind in their manes. They just stick their noises up to the window & whine non stop at us when we have it on :roll: We just gave them heaps of water, ice cubes & plenty of breaks and all was well.
Have lots of fun & take pictures :D
Thank you Elodie!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I like the plug in fan idea. Might just have to look into that for myself.

What I've done driving in hot weather with no a/c is have a spray bottle of water.
When it gets unbearable spray the water toward the ceiling and the mist goes throughout the car.
Cools down the temp a bit. Feels good too :D
~ Sally