Chows that love water {pics}

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chows that love water {pics}

Post by Brisco »

I hope you enjoy these. It always amazes me when I read that there are chows out there that actually don't like the water???? Dixie on her float, Brisco in his pool, The two of them in the Avon river and the kids and I at the beach.
Image[/img]
No matter where you go, there you are.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Matthew, those pictures are just priceless! Wonderful! :)

There are some Chows in America who have kiddies paddling pools and love them in the hot weather, but won't go out in the rain and hate wet grass! :roll:

We said we were going to get Milly and Mabel a Kiddy Pool last year but did not get round to it. But I have just called Fred to see the pictures and he said we must get them one this coming summer.

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures, they are beautiful. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Those pictures are great! I took one look at your dixie and thought I was looking at my Chewie! They look a lot alike! I have yet to introduce my furkids to water but we are getting a kiddie pool for the summer and we plan on taking them on a camping trip where we will be on a river so we'll see!

Thanks for posting them!

Mandy
CenTexChows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CenTexChows »

LOL great pictures!!! It looks like they love the great outdoors.

I need to get a bigger kiddie pool. Andromeda proably won't share her's with Zeus. It gets pretty hot here in Texas during the summer time. :roll:

Hehehe... it’s a comfortable 75 degrees right now. 8)
Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Haley »

I LOVE the one where she is on the raft. priceless. the others are realloy really adorable..i hope we can do that with lilyann some day
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Great pictures! I love scenic shots with Chows beind natural, so I especially liked the River shot. I'm not sure about how Lily will act in the water. She will go up to her knees, but we only had a couple occasions to take her to any real bodies of water, and she was young. She goes out in the rain, but is liking it less and less...
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Those are GREAT! My chow does these big dramatic jumps over puddles!
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

If anyone is interested I have a small photo album that I will regularly add pictures to at: http://WWW.PHOTOBUCKET.COM search for BRISCOSDIXIE
to see the pics.
bruinsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bruinsmom »

Your kids are beautiful! How long does it take for them to dry off?
My "daughter" goes to the groomer every 6 weeks. I've known the groomer for a long time and she does an excellent job on my Bruin. She schedules her for early morning because it takes forever for her to dry. Hmmm, wonder why! LOL!

I'm always amazed that Bruin doesn't mind getting groomed but, have her go out on a rainy day to "do her business" and she looks at me as if to say "but mom, I'll get my paws wet".
Put a leash on her for a walk on a rainy day and she'll walk through puddles! Good Grief.

Awesome pictures!
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Drying off

Post by Brisco »

Bruinsmom,
There coats a very diferent. Brisco, the more red of the two dries in an hour or two on a nice day. Dixie the 8 month female takes 6 hours probably after a good soaking. Her coat is changing and we are wondering if it is going to become more like Brisco's or not??? Her undercoat is much, much thicker than his. I think her breeding is more on the "show" quality side than his, maybe that has something to do with the full coat? Thank you for your nice comments and I'm glad you like the pictures. It's nice to show them to people that love there dogs as much as we do. I think my work colleauges are getting tired of me showing off my "kids"
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Ahhh Brisco... get ready for a huge mess. Sounds like Dixie is going to start blowing her puppy coat. That thick fuzzy mass is all just puppy fur. My Chewie who is 16 months started blowing his at 12 mo. They first start growing some new fur - their adult coat- which is coarse and thick compared to that puppy coat. Then that dark gray undercoat she has will start falling out in chunks! Get ready for a lot of combing and brushing. We would work on chewies undercoat every day - he is almost done! Dixie will continue to grow that overcoat and then will finally grow a new undercoat. Let me tell you how much fun that all is. Some chows go through it quicker than others. Chewie is taking forever...

Good luck!

Mandy
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

I'm envious. :D Would love to have Chow that loves water.
Great pics. :D
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

UNDERCOAT

Post by Brisco »

Mandy,
wow!, did you hit the nail on the head. We did not notice the change with our 2 1/2 year old boy, just lucky I guess. With Dixie though it's just as you described. I actually just started noticing it about 3 weeks ago when I found that her left hindquarters had a few mats in the coat. I thought that I had been missing that area because she lays on that side and I felt awful. I have since discovered that the whole undercoat seems to sort of "mat" and then falls out or brushes out in clumps. It is a bit messy and I hope it doesn't last too long. It is summer here and maybe the heat will speed up the process?? fingers crossed.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

oh wow Mandy, thank you! I'm going thru this with Gracie. I thought it was something I was doing wrong, not getting her brushed good. Gracie will be a year old in Feb. Now I understand whats going on with her. Thank you.
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

No worries guys! Chewie lost his fur on his neck first - we thought we were doing something wrong too! It has lasted a total of 4 months so far and he just keeps losing fur! Quite the mess around the house. We can start to see what a handsome boy he will be with his adult coat. His fur on his mane is growing so long! You will be astounded by the amount of fur you will get. There is a lady in my town that spins dog fur (she has 3 kaeshounds - I know... weird) so we saved it all for her. We have filled 7 grocery bags full so far.

Good luck to both of you and if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask!
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Oh boy... I can hardly wait for the garbage sacks full of chow fur. I had forgotten all about them blowing their puppy coats. <shaking head> And Koda's is REALLY thick. Becky... you're close to me, I'll let ya come help brush. LOL It honestly doesn't hurt when Koda chews on your hand. LOL He's gentle. :twisted:
Nancy and Tai

Liddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Liddy »

Wonderful pictures :) Im a bit jealous -my dog hates water , and he is afraid of rain :lol:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel pat the grass with their precious paws to see if it is dry enough to walk on! :)
Hummph!
Auddymay

rain

Post by Auddymay »

In Michigan there is a saying, "Don't like the weather? Wait 5 minutes!". Lately it has been reality . We went from a freezing snowy DEcember, right up to Christmas, when it went brown. Yesterday it was 54 degrees and sunny. Today it was rain! Tomorrow, they're predicting snow...With it so rainy, I was surprised Lily wanted to stay outside as long as she did. Here she is, testing thr water...hehe!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Those pictures are great - that middle one is exactly how M & M test the grass!! :lol: