General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Not sure I've had a worse day....

Post by Layla »

My chows are ganging up on me....

Milo kicked off the day by waking me up early pawing my shoulder. I guess I didn't get up on time as I have some nice scratch marks now :(

We go out & Millie slips her harness to chase the cat, she goes across the road, through trees, across the carpark, & into the forest, down a steep bluff. Completely paniced I run Milo home & put on trainers, run back & career down the bluff over all the fallen trees, screaming her name & finally a little cream puffball appears looking very scared. I have to carry all 52 pounds up the bluff as she just sinks into the earth :roll:

Mid morning I swap harness for martigale collars & head out for a walk. Milo is so needing to mark that he pees on Millie twice (she was so unamused :shock: ) & in the pet store twice. :shock:

There are kids playing in the area & both dogs keep barking the place down as their dog keeps running around the door. To distract them I give out bones & pop them in their crates.... Milo is not to be distracted & I have to put him in another room to calm down.

This evening we head out to do some chores & end in the doggy park for a good run around. BOTH of them blow me off & run after other dogs, one of which decides that Milo is a good bet for a fight :shock: Millie thankfully runs to me & I grab Milo as I'm worried there could be trouble. We leave! On the way home, He slips his collar to run across the road & up to a guy and really really growl at him :shock: The guy is terrified & waves his newspaper at Milo whilst shouting. I catch up & grab Milo & he goes for me. Thankfully he figures it's me & lets go of my arm. Millie gets spooked (?) and runs off back across the road. I finally get both of them & get indoors.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm sure they know it's cause DH is away :evil:
Thank you Elodie!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bad day

Post by pfordeb »

Hope things improve. Glad to know our one dog isn't the only one who can flip out of his harness. He's an amazing escape artist, but he's calmed down a little now that he's nearing 3.

How old are your dogs? Ours definitely got calmer as they aged, though they do play on and copy each other.

You truly deserve the "have a nice day" comment!
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Not sure I've had a worse day....

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

Layla wrote:My chows are ganging up on me....
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm sure they know it's cause DH is away :evil:
EEeeeGads Layla! Next time just tie a steak around your neck. :-( poor dear. I give you permission to have a tall glass of your favorite adult beverge and some chocolate!

As for the pooches... Millie! Milo! Shame on you, you just added 10 grey hairs and possibly a frown line to your Mum...!
No biccies for you! Hhmmphhhh.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Bad day

Post by Layla »

pfordeb wrote:How old are your dogs? Ours definitely got calmer as they aged, though they do play on and copy each other.
Milo is estimated by my vet to be 4-5 yrs & Millie is just under 9 months

I'm not sure about grey hairs Carla, I feel as though I've survived a dozen heart attacks!
Thank you Elodie!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Layla, Yes you have had a bad bad day, Naughty kids, I am sure they sense that your dh is gone and think they can get away with anything. Hang in there , tomorrow for some reason, they will be angel dogs, I don't know why but they do it.

David
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Wow, what a day! I've gotten so I just hate taking both of mine together. Its been quite a while now since I last tried it. Its just to much. When we see a squirrel or rabbit they both want to go after it, thats a lot of chow power and 1 me. If Gracie gets wiggly or anything and I need to keep her from slipping out of her harness Princess will continue to pull and act like a mad dog making it difficult to keep Gracie from getting loose. If we take them someplace on a big adventure and I'm pretty sure I will be having to deal with both of them, I put a collar on Gracie and attach it to the harness so if she slips the harness hopefully the collar buys me enough time to keep her from getting loose. They are just so hard to handle when they see rabbits or squirrels. Alone they are controlable, together its a walk from he11.
The harness Princess has I have never seen her slip. But Gracie's can be slipped out of if she really wants to. I'm glad your day ended with both being safe. Hopefully today wont be so bad.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Oh, layla, what a day. They really did gang up on you. You are braver than me, I couldn't even think of handling more than one of Butters!!!

Hang in there!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

That's why I don't leave the house when DH is on the road. The dogs know - go potty in the yard and get back in the house. Life goes back to normal when DH returns.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh dear - what a nightmare - they really did gang up on you didn't they! Little jiggers. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Layla,

Uh oh, naughty little furkids! [-X [-X

I'm so sorry you had such a trying day!
I don't know how you managed to carry 52lbs uphill in wooded terrain??? But...YOU GO GIRL!!!:lol:
I hope your not paying the price today in aches and pains?
Like dogdad said, they will probably be angels today! O:)
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I rarely walk the girls together. You have illuminated my reasons why...indeed, have a nicer day!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Layla, I hope today is going better. Days like that I am usually checking to see if there's going to be a full moon or something :lol: They were just wanting to make sure you stayed busy all day.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

bama wrote:I don't know how you managed to carry 52lbs uphill in wooded terrain???
I have no idea how I did that, I can barely pick her up to put her in the car normally (normally as in when it doesn't suit her chowness to jump in for me :roll: ) I was just terrified that I'd lost her & wanted to get her home.

The only lasting damage is the rope burn on my leg from Milo's long leash needed a lot of recleaning with peroxide :evil:

They best be angels today, I'm starting the trip to Chowfest & staying with Java & his mommy Lynn this evening :D I can't wait to see him again :D
Thank you Elodie!
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Poor Layla, have a better day at Chowfest. Don't forget your camera! :D
Sandy
Owned by Sophie