how high can they jump?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

how high can they jump?

Post by bchow »

Just wondering how high do you reckon a healthy adult chow could jump?
Not really known for their agility, but they can have a bit of power and I think they could suprise a few people!

So...a four foot or 6 foot fence in garden!?...lol

C&J
Grrr Woof woof!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I'm not sure BUT I'd guess pretty high :lol: :lol: At least 6ft. They probably could strole over a 4 ft :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

It all depends on the Chow and what they want. Charlie, 3 ft. is fine, he's happy at home. Murphy, the rescue we were fostering in Florida, he was on a chain behind a 4 ft. fence, pulled the stake out of the ground, jumped the fence, over the top of a car on the other side with chain and stake attached. :shock:
We had to find another home for him after that, they were not amused.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Last night Yoshi jumped over a 3 ft fence to get at a toad that was making too much noise, it squirted something in his mouth and made it all frothy, we don't have poisonous toads here but what ever it was, It was enough to make Yoshi drop it alive. I would say the taller the better if it is a perimeter fence
dogdad
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

We call Simon "Tinkerbelle" because of his jumping abilities. Doesn't take a running start either, just POUNCE!!!! :-)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I try to discourage it but Mr. N will jump straight up about 2 feet when I come home. He watches me thru the sliding glass door and as I get nearer, he jumps straight up. I think that he could easily do a 4 ft fence if he wanted to. :roll:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Tess used to jump straight off the ground from a sitting positions and could easily clear 3 feet. Our back porch is about 3 feet and she used to jump up it all the time without missing a beat. She doesn't jump as much anymore, mostly I think because she is a little heavy...and she is 9 years old. I think she could still do it, it would just need more work than what she's willing to put into it.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

My Sheena doesn't bother with the jumping routine - too much energy. She just pulls the cedar 6 foot fence board, nails and all with her teeth, one at a time. Needless to say I can't leave her in the yard for long. :roll:
Jennifer & Sheena
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

The heavier boned ones don't jump to well, about 2.5-3 ft would be their limit for an easy jump but the longer legged agile ones can do 4-5 ft easy. And that's with little or no running start. With a running start and enough reason I'm very sure they could do 5.5 -6 ft with little trouble.

Also the heavier boned ones may not jump too well, but they can usually go through things with few problems or dig under them. All of them are escape artists.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

That's one of the things I love about Chows. You can look in their eyes and see them thinking, they are problem solvers, like how do I get where I want to go. 8) I can't jump this 6 foot fence, Hey! I'll just take it apart!!
Vicki caught Baara, our new girl, looking at our fence first at the top, then at the bottom, back and forth. She said it was like she was sizing it up, trying to decide if she could get over it. I don't think I have to worry about it for now though, it's hard to get her out of the air-conditioning. :lol:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
shandilady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shandilady »

When Shandi got to meet our cats for the first time she went straight up to about 6 ft. We have ramps up near the ceiling for the cats to travel around on. She was nose to nose. She still can but usually doesn't now that she is older.
Rob
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

I'm happy to say my girls still haven't jumped over the 2 ft baby gate,lol.We put it up a bit higher a couple of times an they managed to crawl under it,but no jumping up going on here.Jumping down is a different story,Chey always skips the bottom two steps we she runs down the stairs.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I've seen Pekoe clear 2 to 4 feet going after a cat but acts like she's being put out if she has to step up on a curb.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Jeff&Peks wrote:I've seen Pekoe clear 2 to 4 feet going after a cat but acts like she's being put out if she has to step up on a curb.
LOL. Isn't that the truth?
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

HA HA HA.. This is great! I thought Sid couldn't jump. I have to park the Jeep against a sidewalk so he can jump from the ground into the back of the Jeep. The baby gate on my front porch is so low that he can stick his nose over the top of it. He will not even try to stand on it let alone jump over it. I've been picking his big 'ol butt up to get him into the Jeep until about a month ago so part of it is that he's just spoiled and I'm well trained. LOL
Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Haley »

Lily can jump HIGH. When we first got her, the first night she was so tiny, and we had her in about a 2 1/2 foot box thing, and she kept jumping out of it. :roll: she can jump pretty high from a dead stop.
kirstyM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kirstyM »

Kiazer jumped at my partner and met his hight (his 6'2) so it was a good 4 or 5 foot, sometimes he acts like his on a spring board,other times in the park he steps over branches in his way & still manages to trip over!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Teddie is a jumper and also a bulldozer. He will try to jump the fence and if not he will plow right through it. Boogie on the other hand wants so badly to be able to jump but most of the time he can't make it. He was so proud of himself this morning because he bent the three foot fence enough in his area that he could teeter totter over it and get to where Teddie could only go before. The fence has to come down now because I don't wan't him to get stuck on teh wrong side.
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I could bet that JR could clear 5-6 feet if he really wanted to...he is extremely agile and jumps very high at the the mailman from INSIDE the front door.
Cheyenne, who couldn't even get up a curb, let alone walk very well when she 1st moved in from the pound...now we know she could jump at least 3-4 feet.

David....I am still laughing about Yoshi and the toad...glad that it was not poisonous!

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
TwoBelovedChows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TwoBelovedChows »

Chubaka is very graceful and agile considering his very stocky build. In the morning when the alarm goes off he just seems to "alight" on the bed. The bed doesn't even shake when he does it.
Magda can clear three foot yard obstacles when she's doing zommies....or chasing chipmunks and rabbits. :-x
Marlena, Chubaka & Magda
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

My girl Kimba she just goes through the fence, and she also jumped out of my truck window one day (not while i was driving) in the driveway at home, scared the crap out of me, but she was fine, i opeded the door she jumped back in...
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Desi wrote:I'm happy to say my girls still haven't jumped over the 2 ft baby gate,lol.We put it up a bit higher a couple of times an they managed to crawl under it,but no jumping up going on here.Jumping down is a different story,Chey always skips the bottom two steps we she runs down the stairs.
Neither Firesong or Dreamdancer will jump over the baby gate although I know they can jump that distance easy, (there are retaining walls in the neighborhood that are much higher and they can both jump to the top of them without effort) I think the babygates flimyness scares them, it will fall if they hit it when they jump against it so they are a little scared of it.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

Victory wrote: I think the babygates flimyness scares them, it will fall if they hit it when they jump against it so they are a little scared of it.
More than just a little,it's out most of the day,but they're always afraid to walk past it because it has fallen over a couple of times.Silly girls.