General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

HELP!! Fleas!!

Post by dchernandez »

Hey everybody,
I know I haven't been here in a while, but I have been super busy at work..working 7-7. I do sneak in here once and a while and read some of your posts. How is everybody?
Good I hope...well I wish we can say the same for us.

So the other weekend my husband decided we should take Riley to a new dog park our in Beverly Hills/Bel Air area. Let me just say that its the most largest, most beautiful dog park I have seen...its in Beverly Hills..what else could I have expected.

Well as it turns out....there must have been fleas at the park. A day or two after the park visit we were giving Riley a bath and I found a flea on his tummy :shock:

I don't know what to do. He is on Frontline and its not like he's infested because I have been checking him everyday for the last couple of days and found nothing but that one flea. The tummy itchy stopped after we got rid of that flea. Now I'm paranoid...is Riley going to get infested??? Is my house?..do I need to buy new couches and new comforter set? (ok I just had to throw that one in for my DH... :wink:, but I'm kidding). So now I"m worried and I don't know how worried I should be.

I'm even getting my carpet cleaned this weekend...(that might be a little overboard..what do you guys think?).

I don't know what to do. I feel like the bad parent who let his kid hang out with the dirty kids and got fleas. Any suggestions on how to solve my problem???? Thanks guys. You are all awesome and I apologize for this being so long.
Claudia & Riley
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

frontline should do those fleas for 3 months on the chow. can not say about the house , but i have been in some notable infestations of fleas , diatomacious earth works good , there was once i went in the house and dumped diatomacious earth in the leaf blower and Blew the house , heh , well maybe not just that way . when one walks in the yard and hears thousands of fleas jumping , a very faint and scary noise , then you will know .. or in the house walk in the room and thousands are jumping .. well it was so bad that year it was on the news.. the whole city had fleas ...

there are some flea sprays[ pyrethirum based] thats crysanthimums[ sp] is it not ?] that say "apply to bedding
so if you are really worried get 10 lbs of diatomacious earth and spread it every where and spray with lots of poisions too, , or maybe just get a little bottle of flea spray and put it on chows bedding or in the vicinity of the chows favorite spot every couple weeks as a preventative, and keep up the frontline if you are in an infested zone .. its ticks here, not so many fleas but the ticks are worse ,,, they will carry disease ..

ciao chow
michael
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Thanks for the advice...I think I might have been overreacting just a tad bit.. :P
Claudia & Riley
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

:lol: Yes you are over-reacting just a touch. Don't panic and you don't have to turf out the furniture! There is flea spray for upholstery that is very effective.
Just go round where he sleeps - where he lies down etc. Just a spray on the settee etc. and just keep checking him. The odd flea is not a problem - even a few fleas is not a problem - they can be deal with! :D
Secret formula - don't panic!! :D :roll:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

I was planning on using the flea "problem" as an excuse for a new living room furniture and new comforter set..I guess I'll have to find a different excuse :P
Claudia & Riley
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh dear sorry!! :P :roll: 8)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Oh man! You found a flea from the swanky park? So sorry. You will have to pull up the carpet and that spray Judy recomends are resistant to swanky flea eggs. So you will have to get new furnishings! So sorry! Next time, you should be mindful of the neighborhood you walk your chow and/or let Riley play in. Those uptown fleas sure like to invest in the other communities. :lol:

I use to live in an apt by the beach. The former tenants had cats and possibly a dog at the place because the place was infested (beach and sand fleas can also add to the situation). My former landlords did a flea test before they laid the new carpet and padding prior to my moving all my stuff in and it was all clear of fleas. Well, there I was stacking my dishes into the cupboard and my mom was sitting on the floor watching the one TV station I could get a signal from and then the hopping of little black things on my mom started happening! Apparently, the eggs were in the wall crevices and began to hatch. So, the landlord called an exterminator and they did some good exterminating and not a sign of flea from that point on. You can buy a flea light/trap from the pet store to help you see if there are any buggers in your home. But I think you're safe.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

dc,

I like Bubba's method of using a leaf blower in the house! :biggergrin: Not really!
That was funny Bubba!! :lol: :lol:

Frontline doesn't not last 3 months, nor does it kill fleas on contact, not does it repel fleas.
Frontline's active time is said to be 3 months, but only a very diluted residual is present. Not enough to be very effective in an area where fleas are present.
The true time table of all-ingredient effectiveness is more like 20 days.
Frontline takes up to 24 hours to kill a flea and or flea larvae. Therefore, you may see fleas on your chowkid, the flea may bite a few times before being killed off. This can cause hot spots.
That's why there may be no sign of fleas, but the itching lives on.
As far as the most effective product on the market:
IMO K-9 Advantix
Kills ticks and fleas faster, and REPELS fleas, ticks, and mosquitos! DO NOT USE ON CATS!!

Just a tip on vacuuming (besides doing it often...
Spray some tick and flea killer onto pieces of a cotton ball. Vacuum up the cotton ball pieces, so that any ticks, fleas, or flea larvae/eggs do not breed inside the vacuum cleaner bag.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Riley is on Frontline and we put it on him every month per my vet's advice...

Those darn ritsy dogs that walk out of bentley's and ferrari's...geesh I have never been in one of them, yet they can ride in expensive cars all they want. Who knew uptown fleas liked the non-rich neighborhoods too..lol...they just want to take over anything.. :lol:

Poor, poor me...looks like I need new furniture, and a new wardrobe..who knows where those fleas might be hiding.
Claudia & Riley
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Maybe Paris Hilton's doggy sitter forgot to apply frontline while his/her mommy was incarcarated?

During the summer I apply Advantage to Mikki. Maybe Canadian fleas are different?

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Maybe I was the one who brought the fleas in the house. I did wait for the elevator with Paris Hilton the other day(she probably got the fleas from Tinkerbell)...one of her lawyers is in the same building as where I work...geesh first she threatens society while driving drunk, now she's going for the flea infestation :lol:

I haven't laughed this much in a while
Claudia & Riley
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

We all need a good laugh once in a while. I had a hard time to keep a straight face at last nights televised interview of P.H. on CNN's L. King,

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Oh I missed it...all I have to say the coverage was ridiculious. Since when is a celebrity going to jail breaking news...what about all of those high speed chases going on in LA? I figured that is more important that way I know what roads to avoid :lol:
Claudia & Riley
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

I had a flea infestation a number of years ago. The vet gave me something for the cat that would make any fleas biting him sterile. I don't recall the name of the product, but after about a month the fleas were gone.

I probably wouldn't use diatomaceous earth, but that is just me. If you decide to use it, it's very important to get the right type. Here's a link that was posted on another forum that I belong to.

http://www.safe2use.com/safe-products/d ... _Earth.htm
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

i like the products at this site
http://www.biconet.com/

http://www.biconet.com/pets.html

true enough the diatoms will do the bugs with exoskeletons, i see they have some food grade , which one eats , i think i will try that

.actually i used one of these blowers Image
but it might as well been a leaf blower the way wife reacted , i hate fleas and ticks and had sevin, diatomacious earth and pyreathrin in the blower. , i laid it thick in the house, pulled all the rugs out and threw them away [ leaving hard wood floors] and then dusted the surrounding acres , cut down on the ticks OK

m
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

dchernandez wrote:... Riley is on Frontline and we put it on him every month per my vet's advice...Poor, poor me...who knows where those fleas might be hiding.
YIPES! Since you're not on Frontline, they might be hiding in your COMFORTER. I think you need to get rid of it and buy a new one, just in case, you know?! :lol:
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I "heard" that once fleas get into a comforter, you have to get rid of it and buy another one!
I was told that all flea infested comforters must be sent to Alabama for proper disposal.
I can get that address to you.
:biggergrin:
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Larry King's Beatles interview the night before was much better...but then again...I wouldn't want Paris Hilton to show her face on my tv...then I would have to throw it out with the flea infested comforter.

Yep...time to invest in that new comforter just in case on of the high powered rich poodles or bichons was sneaking around with a mut in a neighborhood that had fleas!!!

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Just so that I have the stats right for justifying my new sofa, sheets, comforter / duvet, clothes etc etc to DH.... I only have to find ONE flea, eys :biggergrin:
Thank you Elodie!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Layla wrote:Just so that I have the stats right for justifying my new sofa, sheets, comforter / duvet, clothes etc etc to DH.... I only have to find ONE flea, eys :biggergrin:
I think the criteria is one flea from uptown and you are not on Frontline. Not sure if criteria changes if you are on Revolution or Advantage.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Zhuyos mom wrote:
Layla wrote:Just so that I have the stats right for justifying my new sofa, sheets, comforter / duvet, clothes etc etc to DH.... I only have to find ONE flea, eys :biggergrin:
I think the criteria is one flea from uptown and you are not on Frontline. Not sure if criteria changes if you are on Revolution or Advantage.
No frontline so good there. I just need an uptown to go to....
Thank you Elodie!
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

So I'm going today to buy some spray to spray my apartment and do an in depth cleaning of my place.

I don't see anymore on Riley but I know there must be another one...I got a bug bite on my arm and I'm not happy about it :-x

Oh so I was thinking since we did use my car to take Riley to the park...maybe my car is infested too :idea: .

We might have to add new car to my list of to-buy things due to this insane "infestation" :lol:
Claudia & Riley
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

LOL...

Why, you can't get in that flea infested car any longer???
Better hurry and get another before the flea epidemic drives car prices up even higher than they are!
I heard fleas don't like Mercedes! :wink:
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

Three months? I thought flea meds were a once a month sort of thing??

bubba wrote:frontline should do those fleas for 3 months on the chow. can not say about the house , but i have been in some notable infestations of fleas , diatomacious earth works good , there was once i went in the house and dumped diatomacious earth in the leaf blower and Blew the house , heh , well maybe not just that way . when one walks in the yard and hears thousands of fleas jumping , a very faint and scary noise , then you will know .. or in the house walk in the room and thousands are jumping .. well it was so bad that year it was on the news.. the whole city had fleas ...

there are some flea sprays[ pyrethirum based] thats crysanthimums[ sp] is it not ?] that say "apply to bedding
so if you are really worried get 10 lbs of diatomacious earth and spread it every where and spray with lots of poisions too, , or maybe just get a little bottle of flea spray and put it on chows bedding or in the vicinity of the chows favorite spot every couple weeks as a preventative, and keep up the frontline if you are in an infested zone .. its ticks here, not so many fleas but the ticks are worse ,,, they will carry disease ..

ciao chow
michael
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

In the south, where ticks and fleas run amuck...
treatments must be applied every 20-30 days!
It's flea mecca in my neck of the woods! :lol:
My furkids are inside all the time,
except for walks and getting a bit of sunshine while lying on the deck. One would think they are not greatly exposed to fleas.
Gotta figure much depends on where one lives?
**Photo by Sweet Pea.