General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

2nd adoption

Post by Sharons Chows »

Hi All

Just found this forum last week the day after we adopted our second Chow Chow from the Cleveland Animal protective League.
She is a 3 1/2 yr red female The unusual thing was that they had her medical history from birth. The stated reason for being turned over to the shelter was disobedience ? Hmm .
She joined her brother an 8 yr. old black male. It is going pretty well over all.
We will be uploading pictures and more details shortly.
Alan and Sharon and of course, JR and Cheyenne
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Welcome to the boards and congrats on your new adoption. :)
Nancy and Tai

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Welcome and look forward to seeing the pictures. :)

Yes, well disobedience - what did they expect her to do, jump through hoops and say "Yes, Ma'am"! Humph! :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Disobeidence, HA! Most likely they wanted a Golden Retriever, "Yes, I'll do what ever it is you ask repeatedly for absolutely no reason other than to please your royal human highness"

What they got was a chow, "and you want me to do this because?"

I'm glad you have her now and it sounds like you have some idea what she'll be like.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

our story

Post by Sharons Chows »

Hi,
This is Sharon....the female counterpart of the Alan and Sharon duo.

I owned my 1st Chowling...also my 1st dog...about 13 yrs or so ago. I rescued my 4 month old Mozart from the back and "to the pound" room of a pet shop. I always had cats and figured that another 4 footed critter couldn't be that different. As you all know...........WAS I WRONG!!!!..
Mo was a most stubborn gorgeous animal. I took him to obedience school at 6 months, taught by a dog "physchologist"...shouldn't she have known that Chow-Chows don't do all those "tricks" that normal dogs do? Long story short..he was the worst of the worst and they gave him a diploma and prayed that he would never show up again. I had 5 wonderful years with my Mo and then lost him to a tragic accident...I was devastated!
3 weeks later I rescued my 2nd chowling from the back row of the APL {death row}...a black, fuzzy 7 month old bear! Mo Jr....aka...JR. Within a few he found a resting place within my heart. Pretty soon it was Sharon and JR together forever. When he was 2 along came Alan and JR decided that this was his Alpha male and adopted him for Dad.
Dad then took this very affectionate, but "wussy" fuzz ball and introduced him to all of the things that "real dogs" do like swimming, rock climbing, and river hiking...all the while still thinking what a wierd critter this Chow Chow doggie was. Maybe it was when JR "escaped" on one of his hikes and his Dad finally tracked his barks down and there was our 45lb rescued, mostly blue tongued misfit hanging onto and pulling the leg of a petrified 115lb sheep...good thing the farmer didn't get there 1st! Maybe, just maybe that was when we started to realize that these wern't quite dogs.
As the years have passed all together and JR has entered into his 9th year, Dad decided that it was time for JR to have a little sibling. After lots of research Dad decided only a sister would do...maybe even a flaming redheaded one. This would keep Mr. J's status intact as the "head honcho!"
Back to the APL Dad went...it was fitting that we keep the rescue and unwanted dynasty going!
And that my friends is how our new chowlet, Chianne, came to live with us last week. She is still pretty shy and has lots to get used to, but our 2 Chow Chows seem to really like each other...and Mr. JR, the brat, has cut our little girl a lot more slack than we could ever have hoped for. Dad seems to have a block with the name Chianne and it has evolved into Cheyenne...any better suggestions from any of you chowlet Mom's and Dad's?

One thing for sure....life could never quite be right without a Chow Chow to share it with. They are wonderful "Mystical Beasts!"

One more very important question......yes, we know that this is a very personal question but.....how many of you get good chowy tongue foot massages...and are Chows the only foot lickers out there???
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello there and I loved the story of your chow chows! Glad you have a new chowling.
Regarding your personal question, no Milly and Mabel do not lick feet but our daughters Standard Schnauzer Hector is a wonderful foot licker! :D
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

My little chowling Coco, would spend hours licking your feet if you would sit still long enough. If you don't sit there long enough he satisfies himself with stealing dirty socks out of the laundry hamper uggg :?
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

Foot licker?!! I'm laughing so hard! Max-A-Million is our foot licker. He will lick and lick your feet until you say stop! Not only that, he will push the bathroom door open, sit by the tub while you are bathing and lick your shoulder, soap and all. When you tell him to stop, he will look at you, turn and walk away with an attitude that says, "Hrmmph, your loss!" Its a little embarrassing, but to me, it is very funny. Max will dig through the clothes hamper and will only take out my husband's dirty white sweatsocks. He will not remove any other socks or clothes, just those horrid sweatsocks!! He licks and plays with them, but never rips them. When he is finished, he leaves them in the middle of the laundry room floor. Meanwhile Mahayana and Mei-Mei just stand there with quizzical looks on their faces, "Why is that nut playing with dirty socks?!"

Chow Chows...yes, they are Mystical Beasts!
Peace and Blessings
Elaina, Max-A-Million, Mei-Mei, Mikko and our Queen...Mahayana
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Willow likes to lick arms, legs, whatever she can get to. :roll:
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

What a wonderful story! Welcome to the site! We have a Cayenne - so I personally love the name! They are both foot lickers too.
Funny pups!

Mandy
Sandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sandie »

LOL! I just love your stories and am so glad that I found you! I love my boy, Beatle who turned 2 on Christmas Eve. we've had him since he was 8 weeks.
No one appreciates a chow chow except another chow chow lover. When we decided to add a new member to our family we researched looking for the perfect dog. We loved the aloofness of the chow chow. We still do as he cracks me up with his why and whatever attitude. we enjoy him so much that shortly he will be joined by his niece.
Mommy to Storme, Beatle, Bailey and Mufassa aka Moose.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello Sandie and welcome! :)
As you say, nobody appreciates a chow except another chow lover - I bet other people would think we are completely crackers with our stories - only we all understand! :roll:
Your Beatle sounds lovely and it will be nice for him to have a companion. WE have two - they are litter sisters and are five years old. We call them Milly and Mabel and we absolutely adore them but they are so funny, arrogant, disobedient, strong willed, difficult, loving and totally gorgeous. I cannot imagine being without them! :)
Keep posting, we all love new stories and pictures.