Pit Bull gift from Girlfriend...NO!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

I was 19 as well when I got married..I love my puppy...but a baby..oh that's a big no no :shock: . A baby is completely out of the question. That's a whole different ball park.

Judy I admire you for being able to take care of a puppy and two babies by the time you were my age. I tell my mom the same thing too. She had me when she was 24 and my sister when she was 28, but she's been a single mom for almost ten years now, and even now I don't know how she did such an awesome job as a mom.

I could never be a mom..unless of course its a mom to my chowling...well at least I know my limitations :wink:
Claudia & Riley
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

=D= =D= You are a very smart young lady, Claudia =D=
Its not very often you see a young person who knows her limitations.........I've seen so many get pregnant first, before they get married, or get the dog before they even have a place to live. Your Mom should be proud of you :wink:

Thanks Sweetpea!
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Aww, thanks..you are making me blush :oops: :wink:

You guys are awesome! :)
Claudia & Riley
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I think some young people have it together and can handle responsibility.
But for the most part, young people are in the irresponsible category, some with the idiot sign on their foreheads.
Some of us just love our dogs so much that that love extends to every dog, everywhere and we only want what is best for ALL of them.
And yes, I agree with this statement. So many on this site are so dedicated to rescuing every animal in all the dog pounds, humane societies,
rescue shelters, homeless animals, that seeing anything remotely irresponsible as a 3 week old relationship of kids barely out of their teens giving puppies as gifts is nothing short of ridiculous!
Yeah, mom and dad need to put their foot down and say no.
Son needs to tell girlfriend sorry, but no, can't have a puppy.
Girlfriend needs to stop being stupid and spend her money more wisely.

Bama I hope all works out with this situation.
~ Sally
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Millie was a wedding gift from my brother. He knew I'd wanted a dog / chow for the last 10 years but didn't have a that was compatible until now. He said that as I was away from home (England) she would remind me of my family everytime that she was a 'little baggage' (Judy's term is just so apt for Millie) No WAY was I ready any earlier than this......
Thank you Elodie!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

If "sanctimonious" is defined by gut-wrenching sorrow at the site of a an animal who has been abused, neglected, or starved, then yes, I suppose I am sanctimonious.

This is a chow mix, just one of many,
dumped by humans and having to fend for themselves.
This one died from starvation.
Maybe, he was just one of many BYB puppies, who was unfortunate enough to be born in an unwanted, "oops" litter

Sorry for the graphic, but it is a sad reality and we can't hide it.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I have always had chows. Ivan was my first that was mine I got him when I was around 10 I think. I had him when I was dating... had him when things did not work out...had him when I met hubby. sadly did not have him too much longer after that :_| . I know other young people (not me anymore I am 28 so super old now) and did great. But I think it is about them choosing to get a dog. If they want a dog or cat, research the breed, and take a couple trips to a shelter or look up abused animals on the internet they will appreciate more the responsiblity they are taking on.

If after all that they still wanted an animal I would have no problem with the gf or bf buying it, but they should never suprise someone with a pet or put the idea into thier head. And if they do they should still look up information and do whatever they can to learn before a puppy is bought.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

The two young lovers of whom I refer, have only been dating for 3 weeks. He lives at home, but is rarely there, because he is out doing what most unmarried young kids do, having fun. The pit bull puppy will be in the yard at all times.
He's not thrilled at having a puppy, he is thrilled with the idea that his new girlfriend desires to get one for him.
He interprets that to, "hey, she really must like me as much as I like her". And therein lies the real problem.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

How old are they?
OR mostly he since she will not be around forever.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
jerseyp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jerseyp »

Ty is our adoptee from our daughter and her "ex-boyfriend". She
was going out with this guy for a month when they got him. She was a college freshman going to WVU. I gave her the same speech as Bama but she wouldn't listen. My wife and I agreed to train him (Ty was 8 weeks old when we got him) until she came home for Christmas (2 months). Well the obvious happened - they broke up, he (ex-boyfriend) wasn't allowed to have pets in his new apartment and she was still living in the dorm. The ex-boyfriend said her mother would take Ty and he could live in the locked BASEMENT :evil: The next obvious thing happened - we fell in love with Ty and he was already attached at our hips. I know few dogs that have a better life.
Ty thanks me everyday from saving him from the Basement (dungeon)
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I have been think about this since it was posted, how this is really not a good situation and the dog will be the one to suffer if or when things go bad. There are definitely times when young owners work out with dogs, I found Tacia when I was 19, still living with my parents. I kept her, paid for vet bills, I buy half the food, I am the one that keeps up with both dogs bathing and grooming, and I know others that have done the same, but here is another problem. Even if Bama's nephew takes responsibility and keeps the puppy. He may become really attached to the puppy, give it a great life, as well as his parents. They work together for the next two years caring for and training this puppy, turning it into a well-loved, well-cared for dog. In two years, the nephew gets a good job, or saves up money to move out, or goes off to school. Now, the nephew can find a place to live where he can take the dog, which as many people on here know, is not easy with a breed that has a reputation, or the dog can stay with his parents. Either way, someone is going to leave the dog. Either his beloved young owner, or the dogs "grandparents" who after a year or two, is probably very attached to also. Most of us know the pain of losing a pet, having one move away, or move away without one is not much easier. Sure the son could bring the dog to visit, or he could come back to his parents and visit the dog if they keep him, but either way, someone is going to lose a pet...again, this is just if this would actually work out, more times than not it doesn't.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Red,
The guy is 20 and his girlfriend is 18. It's not so much their age, as it is their circumstances. He has never had a lot of responsibilty and still lives at home.
Who knows for how long?
This is also his FIRST girlfriend!
When I turned 5, I got my first dog. However, my 5th birthday was my initiation to farm chores! Woo Hoo!!
By age 7, (when my legs were long enough) I was driving a tractor and a truck!! :shock: That was rural farm life!
Things today are very different.

Amanda,
You make a very valid point. No matter who the puppy stays with, he loses someone.
*He's not my nephew, he is the child of a friend of mine.

Please understand, these are very nice people. It's just that we're talking a living and breathing animal, whom I feel will be entering circumstances with very poor odds for success.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
chris

Post by chris »

Bam... have you expressed all of this to your friends? Why dont' your friends talk to the girlfriend. Just tell them to tell her that it's really not a good time for that.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Chris,
Thanks for your suggestion, I appreciate it.
Actually, I talked to the parents first, because I felt it was the proper thing to do.
Their bottonline response was, "that's what he says he's going to do...keep the puppy here". I really think they
are just happy that he finally found a girlfriend.
It was later that I talked with the kid. He, too pretty much shifted the focus to the girlfriend.
It was a friendly conversation with the parents and the kid to express my concerns. I don't know what more I can do, except hope that they reconsider the puppy idea.

Jersyp,
I'm glad your chowkid didn't have to live in a basement! You rock!
I love the photo!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
chris

Post by chris »

Hmmmm... well, maybe the parents.. your friends.... will fall in love with the puppy and it wont matter. They will keep him no matter what. ?????
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Oh Chris, I sure hope they would keep the puppy.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

bama wrote:If "sanctimonious" is defined by gut-wrenching sorrow at the site of a an animal who has been abused, neglected, or starved, then yes, I suppose I am sanctimonious.

This is a chow mix, just one of many,
dumped by humans and having to fend for themselves.
This one died from starvation.
Maybe, he was just one of many BYB puppies, who was unfortunate enough to be born in an unwanted, "oops" litter

Sorry for the graphic, but it is a sad reality and we can't hide it.
Did you read the entire post Sherill? Did you? because I put more than just that one word in there that some of you may be stuck on. Go back, reread. It was a note to be positive.. you still can't be positive can you. Maybe dogs wouldnt be dumped off if those who CARE so much about them, tried the positive. Tried to educate...Realized they were Jaded and got rejuventated and kept on trying. Nice on the drama though. I still think you have the ability to share and help people. But I still think you may want to use a bit of psychology and get them to listen so they want to do whats right. You do that by giving them the info a positive way giving them the tools to choose to do the right thing.
I did say I totally agreed with you that the guy was too young. Did you read that part Sherill?
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

bama wrote: It was a friendly conversation with the parents and the kid to express my concerns. I don't know what more I can do, except hope that they reconsider the puppy idea.

!
Bama, do you know some good places they can take the puppy to train it? Maybe you could make up a welcome puppy pack for the "kid." With a leaflet on where they can go to train the puppy, for puppy kindergarten, etc, Info on food, maybe some links for them on pitbull lists like this one? A few toys, and even work in a list of what it will cost them for medical. A phone number of a good vet you recommend...
If nothing else, it will give that puppy a chance, and you can even add in there, that you still think they are too young, but wish them well and if they have any questions, to either call you or as I said, maybe find some numbers to some local pit bull folks for help.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Chris wrote:
>>Hmmmm... well, maybe the parents.. your friends.... will fall in love with the puppy and it wont matter. They will keep him no matter what. ?????<<

Chris,

I hear ya girlfriend!!!
This is where I'm putting my faith!!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.