Pit Bull gift from Girlfriend...NO!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Pit Bull gift from Girlfriend...NO!!

Post by bama »

Why do youngsters in love think that a living breathing pet makes a great gift???

Ok, we have some really good friends who's grown son has a new girlfriend. They've been dating 3 weeks. Well, they are head over heals! The girlfriend is 18 and he is 20, so I suppose it is puppy love!
When the 20 yr old told he was to receive a pit bull for his birthday from his girlfriend, I had to comment, I couldn't keep my big mouth shut. I immediately replied, "this must be estremely serious if you twe are deciding to share the responsiblity for a living breathing animal. I said, "you may want to re=think the pit bull, because they live to be 15- 20 years old. Where will you and your girlfriend be in 20 years? He responded,
"well be married". Ok, I said, "you know that after 3 weeks you are going to marrying this girl and have a furkid together before you have a chance to enjoy your new life.
I must not be very persuasive, because they are still hell bent of getting a pit bull puppy.
I hope this makes sense...I'm falling asleep...zzzzzzzzzzzzz
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

You got me Bama. Don't understand at all why a puppy this early in a relationship is a good idea. Maybe, sometimes it happens, that they will be together for 50 years. Chances are, they won't make it 6 months. Then what?

Well, hopefully things will be ok for the puppy regardless what the humans do. Hopefully one of the humans will have the brains to continue caring for the pup long after the humans have gone their separate ways........
~ Sally
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:roll:
a friend's son went to collage and decided to get his girlfriend a jack russell for a present...the girlfriend moved to another dorm that didn't allow pets - so the JR went to my friend's home (his Mom)...same friend's daughter went to collage and got a jack russell...then changed to another college/dorm which didn't allow pets...hence, my friend now has 2 Jack Russell's - and alot of chewed up furniture. I know you tried to impart some wisdom but I think most kids think they know more than you.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

oh kids.... Were we that dumb... yes of course... tell him that perhaps he could wait a year and then it will be more special or better yet as a wedding gift, that way it may never happen. You could also say you are an adult. Before you get yours, come here this weekend and babysit while dad and I go away. Give him a huge list of things to do and remind him that dogs are just like children but stay dependant throughout their lives

David
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

That happened to one of my Best Friends too :roll: :roll: The girlfriend got the son a PB puppy.....he still lived at home with Mom. And Mom ended up with the PB. She had a teacup chawawa sp that she worried about..... so after the PB chewed up her living room carpet he ended up in a dog pin in the yard, since the son was seldom home to train him or take him out. :roll: :roll: I didn't know who to feel sorrier for the PB or my Best Friend because she didn't have the heart to say NO!!! NO WAY!!! And had to live on concrete floors for over a year because she didn't have the money to replace the carpet and neither did the son :roll: :roll:

Thanks Sweetpea!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Vickie,

I have no doubt that this situation will turn out the same way! The kid still lives with his parents and the pit bull will be brought there. They are afraid of alienating their dearly beloved son if they say anything to him about it.
So, that's when I spoke to him. Right now, he is so smitten with his girlfriend of 3 weeks that he is dislusional! It's sad.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
chris

Post by chris »

Mike and I had been dateing 3 years before we got our first Chow Chow..(or he did actualy) AND we were engaged. (sp?) Bama... take him to a shelter. Show him what happens when they become irresponsible and or break up. Mike's Mom and Dad wouldn't let him have the dog at their house.. so what did Mike do??? He moved out! He was 21 I think.
chris

Post by chris »

PS. Tell him to get engaged first!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Chris,
I agree with you whole-heartedly!! This is not a kid that I see very often or have much influence with.
However, with every opportunity, I will keep up my banter concerning this pit bull pup!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Chris and Sherill, I think kids like this are SOOO USED to getting their way about everything (since the parents don't have the heart to say NO) that it usually ends up the PARENTS are the ones that have to suffer the consequences of the kids actions......and well the pets that end up at the parents homes. :roll: I don't get it :roll:

Thanks Sweetpea!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

WOW, my parents are the opposite of that. When I decided to get Butters at 30 years old and had been married for 1 year, my mother still told me that I was not responsible enough for a dog!!! Can you believe that. Now she tells me I would spend less time on a baby than my dog!!

Oh, if the world had my parents!! LOL Sigh!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Another example of who I think they should forget licensing the animals and license the people instead. Before getting a pet, there should be classes and then a test and then you have to pay a fee and get a license and THEN you can go to a shelter, rescue, breeder or (horrors) petstore and get a pet.

I'd love to say that it is irresponsible young people but then I remembered Barra the chow who's owners split up after several years of marriage and the chow ended up in a shelter. Irresponsiblity knows no age.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Pit Bull gift from Girlfriend...NO!!

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

And why does everyone have to be all sanctimonious like EACH ONE OF US, or YOU, are ONLY people on the planet capable of taking care of a puppy? Or commenting on a young loves relationship tends to drive them further into each others arms and blocks them from listening to what you have to say anyways.
Maybe, saying something like "Wow a puppy! they live a long time. I hope if something happpens to the two of you, you have a back up plan for the puppy and won't fight over it. May be a good idea to write up something like a "pre-pup" to decide these things before you bring it home...If you have any questions on training or such, I'd be happy to help."
I mean so many people want to give negative advice to SOOO many people, I see it all the time... such a great group of people on there, why can't everyone just step up thier game and put on the positive... No,not everyone will listen, but those that do will appreciate it and take it... better to try than just give up and jump to conclusions... I am sure your care for what happened to the pup was sincere Sherill, and I hope you said more than what you quoted, you have the ability to really help people, and could do so much more if you phrased it a little more positively sometimes. But in any event... glad you could vent over it, I totally think its too soon for a puppy, maybe a stuffed animal. But those who are hell bent, need guidance. Lets hope the puppy's breeder does the right thing and puts it on a contract with a back plan. :-)
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Pit Bull gift from Girlfriend...NO!!

Post by enchantedonyx »

RHENEGADE CHOWS wrote:And why does everyone have to be all sanctimonious like EACH ONE OF US, or YOU, are ONLY people on the planet capable of taking care of a puppy?
Maybe it's seeing all the people who can't take care of a puppy. Maybe it's walking into an animal shelter and seeing all of the beautiful dogs and cats who never did anything wrong, except be adopted by someone who didn't care enough to make sure he always had a home. Maybe it's knowing too many people who decided that a human baby or another puppy or a changing lifestyle was more important than the dog they decided they could take care of.

In Ohio (and many other areas), if that purebred Pit Bull ends up in a shelter, he's dead. There will be no attempt to rehome him.

I wonder if you have ever been in an animal shelter. Not a rescue, but an actual Humane Society, Animal Protective League, ASPCA, or even a dog pound. They are nasty, dirty places, full of noisy, barking dogs, crying pups, and yowling kitties. Many of whom will DIE there. Ask the staff why the animals are there. Because the owners broke up. Owner moved. Owner went to college and parents wouldn't keep the dog. Owner joined the military and got sent to Iraq. You can have all the "back plans" in the world. They are bull****, IMO. They don't matter in the slightest when no one bothers to call the breeder and just dumps the dog in a shelter where he has 3 days. Or fewer if a pitbull, Chow, or Doberman. I pray that you never call up one of the people you sold a pup to and find out that your dog was killed at a local pound because they couldn't keep it anymore and just dropped it rather than calling you.

Of course there are other people who can take care of a puppy. Maybe this kid is one of them. I've never met him, I don't know. Unfortunately, the statistics don't lie. Good dogs die every day because someone didn't take care of them.
I think most of us here are upset about this situation because we don't want to see yet another puppy bought from a breeder (which encourages breeding and every puppy bought from a breeder means another shelter dog DIES), become just another statistic.

Some of us just love our dogs so much that that love extends to every dog, everywhere and we only want what is best for ALL of them.
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Pointing out the the young man does not have his own home to bring a puppy into is not being sanctimonious - it is being down right realistic|! :roll: :roll:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chris

Post by chris »

Bama... tell the parents to get some kahoonas!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Kahoonas??? Why would anyone want a big surfer? My nephew has a boxer I fear for. Chauncy has been in 3 homes. She is hyper, and hard to control. I try and help when I see her, showing them how to put her into a consistent sit, and teaching them 'off' should be used instead of 'down' because it is confusing if you use 'down'...half deaf ears. I hear excuses why she isn't being trained. The fact is, they see her as an accessory. Young and dumb. Yep, I am sanctimonious.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Bama, If the kid is still living at home then the parents simply need to tell him NO, you get the dog, you move out. Maybe hand him a list of monthly expenses like rent, food, electricity, water and sewer, insurance, gas, car payment + dog food, dog toys, vet expenses. I doubt if he will beable to afford all of it if he is still living at home. Honestly some parents are afraid to say no.

David
chris

Post by chris »

IM NOT! :evil: I say NO! and if you defy me, I will just have to lock you in the closet for safe keeping :D "I love you sweetpea".... :twisted:
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Hello all...well I'm only 23 so I guess I kind of fall in the category of stupid young people (trust me I know we are..I have taken no offense in that :P ) and I have also been married for almost four years.

We have had Riley for about eight months. Its funny because my husband and I have had the conversation of what would happen to Riley if we didn't work out for whatever reason in the future.

Well, we decided I will keep Riley and my DH would get to visit and take him out on trips. I could never leave my puppy...EVER! I think I would rather live in a cardboard box with my puppy then by myself.

Puppy's as gifts not a good idea at all. People (especially young people) don't realize the amount of responsibility and even costs it takes to take care of a puppy. My little sister (18 yrs old) still lives at home and had been wanting a puppy for a long time. I had to put my foot down and say no.

I know my little sister and the young and stupid comes to mind again :wink: . I went down to visit my sister and let her take care of my Riley for the weekend (of course with me around...she's my sister but she can barely take care of herself let alone my spoiled chow).

Lets just say that after Riley waking her up at 6 in the morning for three days straight because he had to go on his pee walk, and having to feed him on a schedule, and not being able to stay out late and party because she had to come home and walk Riley...the idea of wanting a puppy soon disappeared from her mind. All she said was "How about I go visit Riley when I feel I want to be around a puppy"

Good lesson learned :wink:
Claudia & Riley
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

dc,

You are too funny!
You may be young, but you are definitely not stupid!
It sounds like you have taught your sister a very important lesson in life.
Your wisdom far exceeds your youth, grasshopper!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Thanks Bama :wink:
Claudia & Riley
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

dchernandez wrote: We have had Riley for about eight months. Its funny because my husband and I have had the conversation of what would happen to Riley if we didn't work out for whatever reason in the future.

Well, we decided I will keep Riley and my DH would get to visit and take him out on trips. I could never leave my puppy...EVER!
Sounds like you did a good job with the sister :D Amanda has Tacia and lives at home, but since Day 1, she has taken responsiblity for her, including all vet bills.
Your comment about splitting up reminds me of my parents. Married for 28 years and Dad recently told Mom (jokingly) that if they get divorced, she can have the house and the kids (all of us over 18 now :D), but he is keeping the dog. In all honestly, Tess wouldn't be happy with anyone else. No matter how much she likes the rest of us, the world revolves around Dad, in Tess's eyes.
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Its funny..because even though my husband says all the time Riley is MY puppy...if we ever got a divorce we might have to go into a custody battle...lol :lol:
Claudia & Riley
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Strikes me Claudia, you are not a stupid young person! You have learnt and are passing on your knowledge.
I was 19 when I got married - by the time I was your age, I had two babies and a puppy!
I learnt early too what responsibility means! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)