Introduction - new poster (Albany, NY)

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sandra B
Rank 0
Rank 0

Introduction - new poster (Albany, NY)

Post by Sandra B »

Hi Folks - I particpated on this forum years ago, then gradually faded away. I'm in the process of acquiring a new chow - probably this Spring (warm weather to socialize, yard is less miserable for trips outside, more opportunities to meet people in parks, airports, stores, etc.).

I had one beloved chow, Odin, who died in January of stomach cancer at the age of 7. I was heartbroken - he was my baby. We do have one other dog, a 3 year old Black Russian Terrier (Stoli) http://www.rarebreed.com/breeds/bk_rus_ ... rrier.html - who is now the alpha dog. Since Stoli is male, I'll get a female chow that he can help raise and establish the pecking order from the onset. I prefer male dogs, but Odin and Stoli's relationship was unique and I don't feel confident that 2 males will work out as well as it did in the past. Stoli grew up with Odin and Odin was a saint - the benevolent Alpha who wandered the house while Stoli was crated, was always fed first and was king of the house. Now Stoli has become top dog and I think I need to get a female puppy to find her own place in the hierarchy.

Stoli absolutely worships my partner, Doug. Me, he's friendly and tolerant but not devoted since I'm the one who has done the grooming and then from 2004 - 2006 lived out of the house for a couple of years on an expat assignment to Europe. However, I think we can happily adjust to a household where Stoli belongs to Doug, the puppy is mine and they work out their own doggie pecking order over time.

I'm anxiously looking forward to getting a new baby in the house - I'd like to get a red rough female (still biased about the look of rough reds - they just tug at my heart).

I'm sure I'll be posting with new pictures and stories once she arrives, but I thought I'd sign up for the site again and start acclimating into the psyche of those owned by chows again.

Cheers,
Sandra (and unborn puppy who I already love)

BTW: Not sure of the protocol of this board, but if anyone can recommend a good breeder within 8 hours driving of Albany, NY, I'd love to hear from you. I am in touch with one breeder in Long Island, they expect puppies this Spring, but want to keep my options open to find the right puppy.
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

Welcome to the boards again :) How exciting to be getting a new puppy! We did in May, boy how the time has flown and he is a big boy now. looking forward to your posts.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

How lovely looking forward to a puppy not yet born. We were in that position 5 and a half years ago when we were looking for a little girl chow.
At the time, we spoke to all the breeders on and there was not a puppy on The Island. But then we heard Milly and Mabel's litter had been born in Cumbria. :)
Wonderful time!
We look forward to hearing more.
Meantime, have a lovely Christmas and get ready! :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Welcome to the boards... again. :) What a neat thing to look forward to... the pitter-patter of puppy chow feet in the house. :) I know I have missed my first chow terribly since she crossed the bridge, but never did realize just how much I did miss having a chow again until Koda came into my life. What a joy it is to have another chow baby to love. I am really looking forward to pictures of your new baby when she gets there. And again... welcome :)
Nancy and Tai

willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Welcome back! I also have a female, a rough blue. I'm so looking forward to seeing your pictures.