General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Something horrible

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Hi everyone,

With it being the holidays and everyone putting such nice posts on I was reluctant to do this post but I needed a place to tell what happened to us today and to remind everyone to be careful with their pets.

We were driving home from my daughters basketball game this morning down a very busy country road when out of nowhere a Boxer darted out in front of us. It happened so fast that there was nothing we could do. We hit the poor dog. It was horrible. I just saw her for a very quick flash and I screamed so loud because I didn't want to hear it but it didn't help because we felt it . We stopped to see if the dog was okay and the car that was behind us had gone over and stopped over her. It was horrible. The poor thing was bleeding in several places but she lifted up her head and kept trying to get up. My husband and I ran to all of the near by houses to try to find her owners while the other driver, who was an off duty police officer, tried to call animal control to have someone come and help her. It was amazing that no one seemed to know anything about her and that they didn't offer to help. I was asking people for tarps or old towels and everyone just said they knew nothing and couldn't help. It was pouring down rain at this time and we were all soaked standing out there trying to protect her and avoid causing any other accidents. I wanted to take her to the emergency vets but the other driver wouldn't let me move her because he was afraid that she would bite and that she may have internal injuries. He found out that the soonest animal control could come would be over two hours so he said he would help me get her into my SUV to drive her the 20 minutes to the emergency vets. The only problem was that when we went over her, she punctured our radiator so our car was not drivable. I called my mother who arrived quickly and we were getting ready to mover her into my mothers car when my husband found the owners. The family had been asleep and were all in their pajamas. The man came running out and grabbed her out from under the car and ran with her to his house. My husband told me to run after him and let him know where to take her on a Sunday. I followed him and he put her in the back of his truck and then he went in his house to tell his family to get dressed. I told him where to go and he said he already knew. We had to wait for a tow truck so we were still there and it took another 10 minutes before he finally drove away with her. When I got home I called the vets and they said there was no dog matching her description being brought in but even if there was they could not give out any information. I left my information along with the address of where it happened so the family could contact us if they did take her in. My family and I are very worried about this poor dog. I am hoping that since she was not hit with our tires but with our plastic bumber and license plate that broke off that she will survive. Please keep her in your prayers and give your own animals an extra hug tonight. This was so traumatic for me and for my whole family.