Chowling

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Chowling

Post by kingalls »

While playing volleyball on Santa Cruz beach yesterday, we saw a woman walking a what we knew could only be a Chow. The coloring looked brown to me so I'm not sure if it would be considered a cinnamon. I have only seen one other Chow and that was in Santa Cruz, too. I was able to finish my VB game so that I could meet the lady and her Chow. She had her camera out and was trying to take pictures. Sure enough, her Chowling was a young female - 18 weeks old. "Za-za" was the Chow's name. The lady, Laurie, was thrilled with having this Chowling. Za-za was really cute and curious. I thought it was funny that she got Za-Za from a family in my hometown. She said she was trying to socialize Za-Za as much as possible. We talked a long while and alot of people stopped to pet the "cute puppy". It was interesting to see Za-Za react with a growl at some of the guys that came up to pet her but very happy, curious with the kids.
I also thought it was interesting that she had limited knowledge about a Chow. Sometimes I think the same thing about some of the posts on this site.
When Shiloh came into our lives, one of the first things we did was read books and search the web to find out about Chow Chows. After all, when we first got her, we thought she was a pomeranian (sp?). We were totally ignorant. We posted with the Animal Shelter and rescue groups but no one claimed her...we weren't surprised as we felt she was dumped anyway. Having made the decision to keep her, we started to educate ourselves on the Chow by reading and joining this site.
What puzzles me at times are the posts from people that have knowingly taken on a Chow Chow but are surprised by their behavior and their needs.
As said in the other post, pets are for life and not a Christmas gift.
I hope that Laurie does buy a book to read like she mentioned. I hope she paid attention to some of the tips I gave her on owning a Chow.
Karen
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I totally agree. When I brought my mom's two back to Minnesota with me, I'd already read the book on Chows she had, listened to her go on about them for years and still one of the first things I did was buy two more books on Chows. I didn't have access to this website back then, (not sure it was even around). But I am glad it's here now and hope that more people learn from it. I think anyone considering any specific breed should research them first and learn about them, just to see if your personality type and theirs is compatible.

More problems with dogs of every breed could be avoided if people would take the time to educate themselves about them. This is one of the reasons I think all breeders should be licensed and hopefully that would mean that only the most serious people would be breeders and would insist on potential owners being educated. It would stop a lot of the unwanteds and a lot of the "he/she is just too much to deal with now that he/she is no longer a cute little puppy"
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chowling

Post by Shane »

kingalls wrote: I also thought it was interesting that she had limited knowledge about a Chow.
When i got Krillan I knew nothing about a chow, the word was not even in my vocabulary. I got Krillan as an early b-day gift and was shoved head on into the breed. I knew nothing about dogs let alone a chow. Everday i would go online and read any available info on chows (and i still do). Now I am quite knowledgable about the breed and people even ask me for advice when i carry them out. Quite suprisingly with all the info. i tell them, they still find it kinda strange I was in the breed for only 3 years and know as much.

Shane
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

When I first got Sasha, I have very little knowledge about the breed. And even with almost 8 years with Sasha under my belt, I still don't know it all. Sasha was the exception to the rule with chows. She wasn't strong willed, she did live to please me, she wasn't usually aggressive or mean, she was obedient, and she was usually super friendly... all she asked was that you allowed her to smell your feet. LOL If the foot test passed, then you were fine with her. Now with Koda, it's an entire new learning experience. There is also tons more on the internet about chows and their care and behavior. Not that all of it is correct mind you, but there is alot to learn. I did run across a web site not too long agon that gave all the reasons why chows were not to have as pets and gave every reason in the world why chows should not even exist. Grrrrrrrrrrr But like I said, Koda is a new learning experience with me, he is the typical chow and we are both learning and growing together. :)
Nancy and Tai

sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Gracie is my first full blooded Chow. My husband had told me there is no other breed like that of a ChowChow. Princess has enough of the attitude that made me long for one. But my husband insisted I start reading up on the Chows, learn what I can then tell him if I still thought I wanted one. It was spooky but I still felt I could do it.

Gracie is wonderful. All she has done is made me decide the only breed I will ever again get will be Chows. I love that attitude. The breeder I got Gracie from is always there for me when I have questions. I now have the people of this site to turn to if ever I need advice, and I hope if ever I say something you feel is totally the wrong thing to do with a Chow that you will tell me. I am here to learn. In a year or two when I'm confident I understand the breed fully, I would like to be a foster mom to needy Chows. Thats my goal.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

What breeder did you get Gracie from? I am really interested in breeders in Illinois, which is why I am asking. You can either let me know on the boards, or PM me or email me to let me know.
I myself will never own any breed but a chow. There is just something different that makes you love them and the breed all the more. :)
Nancy and Tai

sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Actually I didnt get Gracie in IL. To start with I was going to go with a rescue Chow. But I was worried about taking on a fullgrown Chow with my sometimes hyper grandaughter. Decided to take the safe route and start with a puppy. Then I had a tough time finding a breeder here in this state. I know there are some, but I wasnt finding them. So went out of state, my husband and I made a long drive to get her. And, by the time we got home, Gracie had already decided I was ok.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Chows are very hard to find in Illinois, much less reputable breeders, which is why I asked where you had gotten Gracie. As much as I love Koda and would never, ever give him up now, I know the kids bought him from a back yard breeder which I'm sure is part of the reason why he is so skiddish. I know the kids had made the decision between themselves to get me a chow puppy for Christmas a long time before they had found Kodie and looked for weeks trying to find one when they finally did find Koda. Had I been made aware of what they had planned, I would have been part of the looking and also interviewing breeders since I knew what to look for in a chow pup. The kids didn't know and took the first and only one they had found. If he had been mistreated (which is what I suspect) I would have taken him anyway just to get him out of that environment, but at least maybe then I would be more aware of what is wrong than what I am now. But he is much loved, has a forever home with me and with much love and work, hopefully he will become a great example of the breed. But if nothing else, the boy has love and understanding here and all of my love. And that's what's important.
Nancy and Tai

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Nancy, I am sure that you can sort him out.
AS you say he has a forever home and he is only young. Firm, loving handling - teaching him to trust etc. etc. will make the difference and establishing the pecking order will show him how to behave.
Loving him will work and if there are little problems you will learn what they are and take appropriate action.
Thank goodness he has a loving home. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

When I was looking for Lily, I was looking in the Chicago and Detroit area, both are 200 miles from me, and I figured I had a better chance of finding a Chow in the suburbs to a major city. I actually got her from Valparaiso, Indiana, which is on the way to Chicago, but a fairly small community. After seeing the comments about the scarceness of Chows in the Chicago area, I guess I got lucky when I found Lil. She's my first full chow (Pippy is chow/lab) and I was ignorant when I got Lily as well...though I had animals my entire life. Lily is hardly show quality, but I'm not showing her...lol.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Koda is show quality, he is simply gorgeous (and I'm truly not being partial... LOL) But I have no intention of showing him or breeding him for that matter. He's a pet, period. With his shyness and being timid the way that he is, I would probably never be able to show him anyway. And as far as breeding goes, even tho he is beautiful, between the shyness and being timid and the fact that he does have a belly button hernis, which tends to be genetic, I couldn't breed him even if I wanted to, which I don't. There is absolutely no sense in continuing to breed problems that could possibly be hereditary. Koda is a good boy, well loved, going to go in and get fixed in February and that's where we will leave it. I just want him to be healthy, happy and as well adjusted as he possibly can. By the way, he was also the last out of his litter. As pretty as he is, it makes me wonder if others didn't see his problems and decided against taking him. Oh well... their loss. I wouldn't trade him for the world. :) We are going to try some obedience classes after the holidays and I get caught up on finances some. So maybe that will help him. Our vet has a trainer that he highly recommends and says she is great with all breeds. Guess we will see. :)
Nancy and Tai