Confucius

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Roger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Confucius

Post by Roger »

Well, well. I don't visit this site for a bit, and look at the change. Very impressive!!
Well, I have a problem, and I'm hoping you all might be able to offer some advice. My family and I always take Confucius to the park whenever a photo op presents itself. Last Saturday was gorgeous here in Atlanta, and we decided to take the little man down to one of the local parks. He's pretty socialized, but does not particularly enjoy being startled.... none of us do. An unsupervised kid kept gravitating towards him, completely ignoring our requests to stay away. He finally sneaked up behind Confucius -who is always leashed, incidentally- and me, and smacked him on the nose. The little man snapped at him, and succeeded in nipping his hand. Because the skin was broken, Confucius now has to spend ten days locked up in quarantine in a tiny cage. There's no visitation allowed. I spoke to the animal control officer...even though I have all the documentation that his shots are up to date, and he does not pose a rabies threat, they still 'have to follow regulations,' and keep my poor baby isolated. He was really upset when we took him in this morning. He started to wail, something I've never heard him do before, and was baring his teeth at the kennel technicians. After I got over the anger at the kid and -even worse- the parent for not supervising him (we even went to the emergency room with them... he ended up just getting a bandage), I'm really worried about Confucius' adaptability to this, and the long term consequences. For instance, he will not get walked or even let out of the cage. He'll have to do his business right in the cage. As we all know, this is really offensive to a Chow, and I hope he doesn't damage himself trying to hold it in. Now, when he comes back home, will he revert back to going outside, or will we need to retrain him? Also, I'm afraid that -being an Alpha type guard dog, whose natural tendencies have long been questioned, will he still be our same big baby who'll let the kids wrestle with him, or will he now develop a mean streak? My wife and I are so upset about him...it's unfathomable the way he's being treated. And it appears we have no recourse here. Needless to say, it was a very expensive trip to the park.
Have any of you been in this situation, and -if so- did you notice a difference in your Chow's behavior when he/she returned home? He is so much a part of this family that it breaks my heart at what he has to experience. And honestly, none of this is his fault. In the process of defending himself from a perceived threat, he could have done a lot worse. I think he showed remarkable restraint.
Anyways... enough rambling. I appreciate your responses. Thanks.
Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Roger

Post by Debbie »

I am so sorry that you and your Chow are having this experience. I have not experienced anything like this and find it abhorent that he will be in this cage for so long with no visits from you.
I think and hope he will be the same good dog you had before. I think if you introduce him gently back into your home. ie, just you or your wife - no kids - to start and coddle him, hug him, talk to him and let him readjust to the home again before introducing the children back into his life. Let us know how things are going. Its so sad that this happened. Debbie and Bones
kingalls

Confucious

Post by kingalls »

OMG!! I'm sooo sorry this has happened! What a horrible kid and irresponsible parents!! I don't have advice but just wanted to tell you to we have you and Confucious in our hearts & prayers! We've never taken our Chows to a dog park but know what it is like having kids run up and expect to be able to ruffle their mane, etc. I really blame the parents - I can't believe they didn't reprimand that brat!!!
Karen, Jeff, Shiloh & Mr.Nakohe
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I can't believe that's Atlanta's law! It's cruel and unusual punishment to cage a dog that way. Hmmm, something is wrong there. Our family chow nicked me and because I went to ER to get a tetanus shot, he was put on quarantine too but it was a "house arrest" type of thing in my county. What your Confucious is under is very extreme. If you have time, I would suggest you call an animal lawyer or perhaps call a local animal rights center to see what they can help you with to get him out sooner and put on a "home confinement" deal instead.

I am so sorry this situation ocurred. Roger, what I do know is that chows do not like to be isolated. Your Confucious is going to be very sad and withdrawn there. It's bad enough he doesn't really deserve to be there, but not unless someone there at animal control knows how to love a chow, they may prejudge him and your Confucious will feel their the negative vibes, snarl and do things that are instinctual. We all know how sensitive our chow babies are. There will be lots of noises that will clutter him and being around strange barking dogs!

Is there any way they will let you leave an article of your clothing in his cage? A shoe or a t-shirt that you've worn. I know that when I use to leave Zhu at the kennel when I went on business trips, that's something I did so he knew that I was coming back because my scent was on the t-shirt. When I chow-sit Lao, I ask my sister to leave me my brother-in-law's pillowcase. And, I hate to say this but I must because over where I live, there has been news reports on a local shelter (different county as mine) that have made mistakes on euthanizing the wrong dogs. So please, please make sure you find a way to make a presence at your shelter.

When you get him back home, I think he'll be able to readjust back to your normal lifestyle. If he lets you get close to his ear, whisper I'm sorry and I love you and you are a good boy as many times as possible. Don't know about anyone else's chows by my family of chows love being whispered to and it goes a long way in my household. Unfortunately, I think the incident will imprint in your Confucious' brain. There is a possibility that he will be leary of children in the future, especially ones that are similiar in size as that stupid child. Now that's a guess, because when our Sunshine was being spit on by my other sister's neighbor kids (a common fence combined with a step to the front porch was good spit range), whenever Sunshine went out for a walk, she made it a point to lunge at them. Never close enough to hurt any of them, but she was just a feisty princess and wanted to make a statement. Boy, what idiot parents that child must have to bring him/her (I forget) to a dog park and not enforce the basic rules of how to behave with unfamiliar animals. Stupid, stupid people.

Wait till Jeff and Judy read your post!

I am sooo sorry. Oh, and by the way, I kept writing "your Confucious" because Zhuyo's twin brother's name was "Confuscious" too (but with two s's).
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Confucious

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Excuse the expression but after reading that I'm so pissed I'm almost speechless, Its like I want to come to Atlanta and help you break Confucious out of Jail. This is unbelievable, If anything like this ever happens to anyone else's Chow feel free to hide your Chow at my house.

I have children running up to Pekoe everyday and have done everything in my power to keep them away from her even to the point of getting close to fights with the parents because I will say keep that dam kid away from my Chow or yelling at the parents to control their brats, because as you found out our Chows will always be the loser no matter what and as far as I'm concerned they would have to shoot the both of us before they ever took Pekoe.

Anyway none of that helps you with your problem but even though your not allowed to see your Chow I would to be down at the shelter every day keeping track of what is going on or at least make sure they hear from you everyday, Most of these people have no idea what a Chow is like or its temperament. I don't mean to scare you but personally I wouldn't trust those people at all, we all know that in that environment the worst is going to come out in a Chow. I would even suggest you get a lawyer involved in this just to protect Confucious. I would be writing mayors, police chiefs, head of animal control, someone at the news, anyone I could just so they know that if anything happens to that Chow you won't be going away and there will be trouble. If you have children tell them this is having devastating affects on your children, they can't sleep, they cry all the time and they are so upset its affecting them in school. This may all sound extreme but to me this is absolute BS (Excuse the expression again) my concern is not so much what he will be like when he gets out but his safety while there.

If you think it will help for us all to write and let them know Confucious has some concerned people behind him let us know who and where to write, they might change their tune when letters from all over the country start coming in. I'm sure the others feel the same but if theres anything we can do to help just ask.

I'm not sure if these people can help but it wouldn't hurt to call them they might be able to give you some advice.
http://www.aldf.org/

National Headquarters
127 Fourth Street
Petaluma, CA 94952-3005
Phone: (707) 769-7771
Fax: (707) 769-0785
E-mail: info@aldf.org
Anti-Cruelty Division
919 SW Taylor Street
Fourth Floor
Portland, OR 97205-2542
Phone: (503) 231-1602
Fax: (503) 231-1578
Actionline: (800) 555-6517
E-mail: action@aldf.org
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re; Confucious

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Roger this is the most inhumane treatment I have ever heard of to a Chow, I feel thae parents of the child should be reprimanded and the child put onto a lead and locked up for his stupidty, and his parents given a heafty fine, Your Chow is precious to you and with your permission I would like to forward this article to the Chow Chow Club of Gauteng in South Africa, I know that they will all stand behind you all the way. If need be we will write to the President of America and ask for his help. Never in my life have I heard of this sort of treatment to any animal,.
But he will soon be home and I know that he will get the love that he deserves from you and your family. Treat him with care and love him lots, I am so sorry I am so angry I really dont know what to say, but I am thinking of you and praying that all goes well Please let me know
Carolyn Dewrance.
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Hi Roger, it's me again....

You can tell I am so angry about poor your Confucious. So I did a little internet searching about Atlanta's bite laws.

First, is your Confucious in quarantine because of "rabies" or was he declared a "vicious and dangerous dog"? Below is info I copied for you to refer to. If it's just because of "rabies quarantine", this 10 day thing can occur at your home (like our Suntzu), which is different if he was declared "vicious and dangerous".

FREE CONFUCIOUS!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Fulton County Animal Services provides animal and rabies control services to unincorporated Fulton County and the incorporated limits of the cities of Atlanta (except the part that lies in Dekalb County), Roswell, Alpharetta, Mountain Park, East Point, Fairburn, Palmetto, Hapeville and Union city. City of College Park provides its own service - please call 404-669-3778

Our officers are authorized to issues citations for violations of animal related regulations including:
• Leash Law - All dogs must be restrained by means of a fence, wall or other enclosure or restrained by leash.……..
• Animal Bites - All dogs and cats that bite a human shall be quarantined to observe for symptoms of rabies. Bites by other animals to a human or domestic animal should also be reported. For more information about rabies, please read: http://health.state.ga.us/pdfs/publicat ... ies.01.pdf
• Dangerous Animals - Animals declared vicious or dogs declared potentially dangerous or dangerous must be confined in a pen with secure sides, top and bottom to prevent escape
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

FREE CONFUCIOUS!!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Roger,
I am so mad - I dare not start using bad language 'cos it will be so bad I will be banned off the site and incidentally, upset Michael in rural Tennessee.
:evil: :evil: :evil:
Seriously, I am so mad I could spit. That wicked little b****** and his foolish, wicked parents. I really don't know what to say - how to comfort you. I have had similar situations with Milly and Mabel but I have told the parents exactly what to do with their child and so has Fred.
Please God, this turns out alright and in future, take this as a lesson and make sure nobody, especially nasty little children, get within reach of him.
Crikey, I just don't know what to say - I live in the U.K. and I havn't a clue about your laws over The Pond -
all I can say is we are all with you, little comfort I know, but it is all I can give.

With all good wishes and purple kisses from Milly and Mabel.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Roger,

I have just told my husband Fred about Confucious and he is so mad too!

However, he immediately slipped into Redcap mode and asked me to log on again and tell,

1. Are there any witnesses?

2. Are there any witnesses to testify that he was leashed?

3. Did anybody else see the brat teasing Confucious?

4. If so, either contact them if you know where they are.

5. If you don't know where they are, advertise for them.

6. Do you have insurance - if so he says bloody well sue the parents?

Finally, he agrees with what has been said - he feels Confucious will be ok when you bring him home. Just watch him very carefully with your children. Talk to the children and explain it to them over and over so that they will understand how he might feel and take it easy with him.

In future, don't let any strange little Bastards (you see Fred is not so polite as me :roll: ) go near him in the future. Take heed what Jeff says! He would kill the buggers if anybody got near Pekoe as we would if anybody got to M & M.

Good Luck Roger.

from Fred and.......

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: FREE CONFUCIOUS

:twisted:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Confucius

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Well I see Lou and I had the same thoughts this mourning I was all over the web also looking up Atlanta animal laws. From what I read it sounds like any dog that bites someone will be in quarantine for 10 days, rabies or not
however from the Atlanta animal control webite and some others its look like they are into animal rights and laws and seem like they go out of there way to protect the animals so Confucius might be in safe hands but I still would't trust them and keep on top of things

I'm posting a letter that chowchow welfare sends out to animal shelters. You might want to give a copy to the people with Confucius so they have a better understanding of Chows and know what they are dealing with and not jump to any conclusions.

chowchow welfare: http://www.chowwelfare.com/

Chow Welfare Hotline 608-756-2008

CHOW CHOW TEMPERAMENT EVALUATION,
HANDLING & PLACEMENT TIPS
FOR ANIMAL SHELTERS
Chow Welfare Hotline 608-756-2008

The Chow Chow is believed to be a difficult breed to understand and evaluate. Many shelters, doing their best to provide people with safe, friendly pets and avoid liability problems, refuse to offer Chows for adoption at all. We understand your concerns. We, too, are very careful about what dogs we offer in our adoption programs. We don't want people to be hurt by our dogs. We've found, though, that many Chows have wonderful temperaments and are worthy candidates for adoption, as reliable as any other breed of dog. In this article, we hope to show you how to evaluate Chow Chows on an individual basis rather than condemn them all as a group.

When working with Chows, it helps to forget much of what you already know about the "average" dog's behavior. In many ways, Chows are not very doglike and don't behave like a typical dog. A Chow has the mind and independent spirit of a cat locked inside the body of a creature that looks like a cross between a lion and a bear.
It helps to "think cat" in order to understand Chows!

Like a cat, a Chow is.....

proud, arrogant and aloof. He wants you to think he doesn't need you.
suspicious of strangers. He can be slow to make new friends and can put on a fierce show when he's on his own ground.
indifferent to people other than his friends. He could care less what strangers think of him and prefers to be left alone.
not very eager to please his master. He especially doesn't like to obey commands from strangers.
smart enough to figure out how to get out of doing what you want and clever enough to pretend he didn't hear you.
stoic and expressionless. With their scowling face and deepset, dark eyes, it can be hard to know what they're thinking.
very dignified. He doesn't like to be hit, manhandled, muzzled or physically forced into something he doesn't want to do.
very clean, well-mannered in the house or kennel, almost born housebroken, non-destructive and quiet.
very affectionate, loyal and loving with the people they love and trust. They never forget their friends.
Stray Chows:
Loose and lost, even well-socialized Chows may quickly revert to feral behavior. Suspicious of strangers, wary of being trapped or cornered, they can be hard to catch. They may be aggressive when cornered. They may also fight ferociously when captured with a snare pole. This behavior can be considered normal and is not, by itself, an indication of the dog's real disposition.

Once caught and given a few days to settle in, most stray Chows are very happy to be back under a dry roof with regular meals again especially if they've been on the run for awhile. A stray Chow with a good temperament should soon welcome attention from shelter staff. We advise shelters that if the stray Chow has not made friends with at least one person by the end of the mandatory holding period (average 7 days), it's not likely to be a good adoption candidate.

Chows Surrendered by Their Owners:
An owner-surrendered Chow usually takes longer to "come around" than a stray Chow. Left at a shelter, the average Chow is confused and unhappy at first - he doesn't understand why he's there. Since he's sure that his owner will be coming back to get him very soon, he isn't interested in making new friends just yet. The noise of the shelter, confinement to a kennel run and being stared at by strangers offends and irritates him. Adding to his distress are his good housebreaking manners - most Chows won't use their kennel as a toilet unless absolutely forced to. This can result in several days of discomfort and grumpiness as he "holds it" until he just can't any longer.

A Chow that's waiting for his family to come back can be unreceptive and sometimes aggressive toward strangers. He wants to be left alone. He sees no reason to make friends with you. Unless the Chow needs immediate medical attention, it's best to leave him alone at this time. Even Chows with good temperaments can be indifferent and aloof until they finally realize that their people aren't going to return. This process of waiting, grieving and finally accepting their new situation can take a few days, a week or a month, depending on the individual Chow. Unfortunately, most shelters can't give them much time. As with a stray, if the dog hasn't begun to show a friendly interest in shelter staff within 7 days, it's not likely to be a good adoption candidate.

It goes without saying that no Chow with a bite record or
history of aggressive behavior toward people should be offered for adoption
no matter how good his temperament appears to be.

How to handle unfamiliar Chow Chows
In over 10 years of working with abandoned Chows, I've never been bitten by one and rarely need to use a muzzle. My success comes from using good safety practices and common sense. Anyone can learn these simple tricks and they apply to other breeds as well as Chows.

Chows are very perceptive and quickly pick up on people's emotions. They are especially leery of people who dislike or are afraid of them. They may behave aggressively or erractically toward such people. Chows are often remarkably docile, friendly and respectful of people who aren't afraid of them.

To make friends with a suspicious Chow, ignore him! Pretend he isn't even there and go about your business as usual. If you speak to him at all, use a tone of voice that's calm and matter-of-fact. Do not make direct eye contact or try to pet him. The Chow will be baffled by your lack of fear and show of indifference. Like a cat, he'll become curious about you. Even when the Chow starts to show a friendly interest, don't try to pet him right away. Do not crouch down to encourage him to come to you. With your hands at your sides, allow him to sniff your body while you speak to him in a cheerful voice. After a few moments, walk away.

When the Chow has become eager to see you, you can try to pet him. Most Chows don't like a hand coming down on their heads from above or a casual ruffling of their fur. Instead, reach out with your palm up and scratch his chest. If he enjoyed that and didn't back away, then scratch the base of his tail. Once he's allowed you to touch him (and allowed himself to enjoy it), your relationship should continue to improve.

To put a leash on a Chow that doesn't want to be handled, use a one-piece slip lead rather than a collar and leash. Make a large noose with the lead. Open the kennel or crate door slightly. Most Chows will be anxious to get out and will try to push their heads through the opening. Drop the noose over the dog's head and pull the lead snug before opening the door all the way. If you're afraid the dog will becorne aggressive while being walked, keep the dog an arm's length away by extending your lead-holding arm parallel to the ground. If he tries to bite, you can raise your arm to keep his head away from you or lift the dog's front off the ground if necessary.

Most Chows detest being muzzled and will fight hard against it, making it that much harder to vaccinate or examine them. I've never had to muzzle a Chow for these procedures. To lift a dog you're not sure of, stand near the dog's left hip, facing the back of his head. With your left hand, take hold of the dog's collar at the back of his neck, just behind his ears. Put your right hand under his rump. With your left arm extended to keep the dog's head turned away from you, quickly lift the dog to the table using the collar and your right hand.

Once on the table and ready for examination or grooming, keep your left hand on the collar, just behind the ears, to maintain control of the dog's head. Stand away at arm's length using your outstretched left arm to keep the dog's head turned away from you or the people who need to touch him. If necessary, use the collar to raise the dog's front a little so that he's standing on his tip toes, a little off balance. Put your right hand under the dog's belly to keep him from sitting down or scooting away. Be confident and firm without making direct eye contact. Use a calm, confident, matter of fact tone of voice.

Temperament Evaluation
Judgements on the Chow's temperament should wait until the dog's had a few days to settle in and make friends with some of the shelter staff. When I evaluate a Chow for adoption, I first look at the needs of the people who may adopt him. What qualities will the average person want in a dog? What behavior will they be willing to work with and what is unacceptable? Once you've determined what the majority of your adopters are looking for, you'll be able to create a profile of an "adoptable" dog, regardless of breed.

No one will want to adopt a dog that stands at the back of its run barking or growling at them. It's not unusual for a Chow to ignore people who come to see him (or seem to have better things to do) but the dog should not be terrified, snappish or aggressive. An adoptable Chow should allow himself to be handled by strangers.

Extremely shy Chows aren't necessarily victims of abuse, many are born this way. A shy Chow that doesn't show aggression under stress might be an adoption candidate for a quiet household without small children Shy Chows that growl or try to bite should not be considered adoptable.

Some shelters evaluate Chows by trying to physically dominate them, using techniques like "alpha rollovers", "stringing them up" or forcing them into submissive positions. I strongly recommend that you do not use these procedures! Even Chows with exceptionally good dispositions will react very negatively to these methods when used by a stranger or someone the Chow doesn't trust or respect. These methods do not provide an accurate picture of a Chow's temperament.

A dog's eyes will tell you a great deal regardless of breed. Some people claim they can't read a Chow's eyes but with practice, it's as easy as with any other breed. You can read a dog's eyes without making direct eye contact. I like to see a "soft" eye, frightened maybe but it has a look to it that tells you the dog won't hurt you unless it absolutely must. It has a warm, hopeful expression. A freaky dog has a panicked look. This kind of dog will bite without much provocation even if it's not a "mean" dog. A really smart dog will have a sparkle to the eye even if it's frightened. You can see that it's thinking about what's going on and what it's going to do next. Then there are the hard, cold eyes of a truly nasty creature although it may not act nasty. Fortunately, you won't see many of those.

Body language will also tell you a great deal. A dominant dog is confident and fearless. He stands tall, head, ears and tail carried high and forward even in strange territory or when meeting new people. A dog that shows a submissive posture when approaching people - head slightly lowered, ears back or to the sides - is more desirable.

Aggression toward dogs or other animals should not be considered abnormal or vicious. Chow Chows are not "pack" dogs and can be dog-aggressive toward other dogs of the same *Censored Word* even when spayed or neutered. Chows should not be kenneled in groups or with dogs of the same *Censored Word*.

Chows that haven't "read the book":
All rules have exceptions and there many, many Chows in the population that don't behave the least bit like Chows at all! They act like Golden Retrievers - joyously greeting everyone they meet, are eager to please, obedient (if they've had training) and good with children. These dogs are usually very "honest", what you see is what you get - their good nature is readily apparent and they rarely give you any unpleasant surprises. Other than being a little more independent and headstrong than many breeds, Chows with this kind of personality act and react as most other dogs would. We recommend that you give this type of Chow the same chance at adoption as you would any other good-natured dog in your shelter. The adopting family doesn't necessarily have to have previous Chow experience for the placement to be successful.

Chow Chows and small children:
Because the history of strays is unknown and many owner-surrendered Chows have not had proper training, we normally recommend against placing adult Chows in homes with very small children without temperament testing before the adoption To be compatible with young children, the dog should be exceptionally good natured and easy going. People interested in adopting Chows should be told of the Chow's continuing need for socialization with children if they expect the dog to come in contact with them. It's not realistic to expect an adult Chow (or any other dog) to be tolerant of children if it's not exposed to them on a regular basis and trained how to behave around them. By the same token, it's not wise to place a Chow (or any other dog) in a home where the parents show a reluctance or inability to supervise and control their children.

Questions? Need help evaluating a Chow? Call us!
The Chow Chow Club, Inc.'s Welfare Committee has a hotline to help you - just call 608-756-2008. We can answer your questions, help with evaluations or refer to you to a local Chow Rescue service if one exists. We maintain a nationwide adoption referral listing and can help you advertise your shelter's Chows. We can provide printed material about Chows, their care and training to your shelter staff and to adoptive owners. We're there to provide post-adoption support to adoptive Chow owners. We want to work cooperatively with you to help make your life easier and to offer adoptable Chow Chows the same chance at the life of love and responsible care that every dog deserves. We look forward to the opportunity to work with you!

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone:

Thank you so much for your responses. It's really heartwarming to know you care so much. I've done quite a bit of research today too, and it doesn't seem like I can circumvent the law here, just work to try to change it in the future. I spoke to a local animal right activist, and unfortunately it's mandatory I wait the ten days according to her also. I did some web browsing, and -like you- came up with the same results. I spoke to a senior guy at the shelter and he basically said he really didn't want to separate families from their animals, but it's the law and he can't do anything about it. So... I'll try to see if I can get some kind of initiative going to change it. It seems like things are really *Censored Word* backwards down here in the south.
Carolyn, feel free to forward this... hopefully it serves as a blueprint for how not to enact self defeating processes that end up harming innocent animals.
Jeff, Judy and Lou thanks for all of your advice....
Even though the officer documented that Confucius was leashed, and that the mother was on the other end of the field, he still has to be quarantined because of the rabies issue, even though he is up to date on his shots. It's asinine.
We spoke with the kennel attendants today.... they said he's just relaxing and ignoring them. He did do his business (I was really worried that he would rupture himself trying to hold it in), and one girl there said she's been talking a lot to him and trying to give him as much attention as she could. He went from baring his teeth and growling at her yesterday, to literally turning his back and ignoring her today. By the grace of God, he'll be back home first thing next Tuesday.
Thanks again for all of your support, and I'll definitely keep everyone updated.
Roger
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Roger,

Sounds better! If he is just turning and ignoring the kennel girl - that sounds just like Chow Chow. :wink:

Milly and Mabel come in from the garden, we speak to them and they go and lie down with their backs to us! And they love us! And they know we love them! :)

Just keep faith Roger, I shall be counting the hours with you until next Tuesday.

All good wishes to your family.

purple kisses from M & M :)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Confuciusis

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I would love to be there when Confuciusis is finally paroled and see his reaction when he first sees his family, that has got to be a pay per view event or a Kodak moment. Pekoe gets so excited when were just gone for ten minutes she flips out spins in circles and runs around the house or it may be a typical Chow response and just look at you like saying what took you guys so long and just walk out the door like owell just another adventure and do nothing.

Hows Confuious doing?

Post by Guest »

Just checking to see how Confuious is doing, shouldn't he be getting out soon, tomorrow I think?
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

I've been following along and am also wondering how he's doing. Lori
Roger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Roger »

Hi everyone.... yep, first thing tomorrow he'll be home. We called the animal control guy to see if we could just bring him home today, but it didn't work out. So.. 8am tomorrow I'll be over to pick him up. He's been doing pretty well, according to the kennel attendant who's been taking care of him. Apparently, he's been warming up to her. I can't wait to get him home. This weekend he's in for a long bath; with those other dogs there, I can't help but think there's fleas around.
I'll update tomorrow.... Take care all.

Post by Guest »

Hey... the little man's back!!! This morning when we got there it was like he knew we were coming. He didn't make any fuss, just patiently waited for his collar and leash to be attached, then went right to the car and just stood there. He was so ready to go back home. He's been very affectionate all day, and kept following us around everywhere. I don't think he let my wife out of his sight once today. I don't see any changes in his behaviour, and it looks like he's slipping right back into his old bathroom routine. One thing.. his stool was really soft which is really unusual for him. We called the vet, and she said it might be the excitement causing that, but we'll keep an eye. He did lose a lot of weight also. It feels like our family's complete again... it was devastating without him last week.
One thing that I came away with, in addition to all the other stuff... In a couple of months we were going overseas on vacation for 2 weeks. I was going to leave him with the vet, who also offers pet boarding, but after all this, I believe Confucius needs to be in hs own home. I'm looking into pet sitters as an alternative.
Well, hopefully that sordid affair's behind us, and really.... I won't wish what happened on any animal.
Take care everyone.... R
kingalls

Confucius

Post by kingalls »

Welcome home, Confucius! We are all relieved that you are back home with your family...you are probably enjoying much attention and treats!
Shiloh, Mr. Nahkohe, Karen & Jeff
Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Confusious

Post by Debbie »

Welcome home Confusious! I am so glad that he has kept his wonderful disposition, despite the horrible imprisonment. I have been thinking of you and your family often and keeping your beautiful Confusious in my prayers...what a terrific feeling you all must have had that he is himself. He'll need your added attention and whispers in his ears more often now, I bet! Keep us posted. Debbie and Bones :!: :mrgreen:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

:D :D :D
Welcome home Confucious. We are so glad Roger - we have had our computer out of action for ten days but we were thinking of you all the time. It arrived back today all mended and we were thrilled when we read your posting.
Have a lovely holiday and remember, in future don't let the litte brats near him - tell them to 'bugger off' or words to that effect! :evil:

Give the lad a big hug from us.

Poor Confucious!

Post by Guest »

Reason Number 43, 322 NOT to have Kids: They hit poor leashed animals for no apparent reason whatever! Some wretched little kid whacks a dog and the poor dog has to go on house arrest. It's so ridiculous. And this isn't an isolated incident. I know a lady who has a boxer and the same thing happened. The boxer is the sweetest girl ever, and some twit kid came up behind her and smacked her on the back. It frightened her, she whirled around and snapped at him. She made contact and barely scratched his skin. But, of course, his silly mother came over and made a BIG DEAL out of it. She didn't bother to try to PREVENT the incident, but once it occured, of course it's all the dog's fault. The dog couldn't leave her yard for 10 days, and my friend got a fine....A FINE!!! Because some stupid woman couldn't control her jack-*Censored Word* kid. It sooooo pisses me off to think of it. I would say something much worse about that brat kid, but I'd prolly get excommunicated from this site!

I'm glad Confucious is home, safe & sound.
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ooops!

Post by zingara_princepessa »

That last post was from me. For some reason, it didn't show my i.d. :D

Cheers,
Jenn
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Hennifer,

Like you, I dare not launch off on what I would like to say about the brat-kids or else I would get excommunicated too!
I hope the rest of the good people on the site appreciate our self control!! :evil:

Hugs to Orso. :)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Sorry Jennifer - I was getting mad thinking about it all! :lol:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Defending the young'ins

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Kids bother me to when it comes to Pekoe but in reality you really can't blame the kids I can say 8 out of 10 kids will ask if they can pet Pekoe before they approach but its the two out of 10 you have to becarefull of and only because the parents are to dumb to teach them proper behavior around animals. I have a 2 year old grandson and a 3 and 5 year old nephews all three of them have been taught sense day one to respect all animals and never approach with out asking first, we have never had a problem.
Puppies and kids all start off the same, cute, playful and innocent then adult stupidity interferes, I call it parental ruining, then the trouble starts. With Confucius and the kid he bit, it wasn't Confucius's or the kids fault it was the dumbass mom not being with her child and not teaching him/her how to behave around dogs. Small kids are naturally courious so when they see that fluffy bear approaching all they see is a cute teddy bear, so dumbass mom better be around to control her children.

The way I see it you never approach a strange dog with out asking, you never approach a strange human period, the human is much more dangerous.