SOS! Save Willow's Tail

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

SOS! Save Willow's Tail

Post by willowchow »

Whenever Willow hears the people downstairs coming or going she will growl. She's been here 2 1/2 years and she's still doing this, which I don't really mind.

What I'm concerned with is that she is spinning around and snarling and "attacking" her OWN tail. She's gotten it a couple of times and it causes pain and she's made it bleed at least once.

Anyone know what's up with this or how I can stop it? It is a "chow" thing or. . .?
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Maybe she is bored?

The most common sign for a dog being bored is Chasing the tail,
and sometimes it gets really bad when they get the tail.
They get so paralyze from the chase, and they can really damage their tail.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Could she possibly have worms!

That is a sign of worms - when worms irritate, they chase their tails trying to 'scratch the itch' so to speak.

Just a thought.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

willowchow wrote:

"What I'm concerned with is that she is spinning around and snarling and "attacking" her OWN tail. She's gotten it a couple of times and it causes pain and she's made it bleed at least once."

---

There is research showing that chewing or biting behavior, self-mutilation, or excessive licking behavior is a way for the dog to release endogenous opioids in the brain's pleasure center. The opioids calm the anxiety and help diffuse frustration.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

kiwani wrote:willowchow wrote:

"What I'm concerned with is that she is spinning around and snarling and "attacking" her OWN tail. She's gotten it a couple of times and it causes pain and she's made it bleed at least once."

---

There is research showing that chewing or biting behavior, self-mutilation, or excessive licking behavior is a way for the dog to release endogenous opioids in the brain's pleasure center. The opioids calm the anxiety and help diffuse frustration.
In other words, the dog is bored.
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

Have you ever thought of external parasites.

Shane
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

WOW! Thanks, guys for all the responses. Let's see. . .

First, she doesn't have internal or external parasites. She's on year round prevention for both.

I agree she's definately bored. The weather has been horrible here lately, freezing and snowing. Today it's freezing rain. Although, she got FIVE good walks yesterday she was still zooming around. Where she gets this energy I don't know. She's already had one walk today and will most likely get at least three more. We play in the house as much as she will but her idea of ball is getting it about two times and then that's that.

But, I don't know if the attacking her tail is because she's bored, per se. She does this when she hears something or someone, almost like if I can't "get" them, I'll get this thing in back of me. Cause she really has no clue about her back end, her back paws, tail, etc, she doesn't know why they follow her around. What do you think, redirected agressession?? How do I stop it regardless of the cause? I don't want her hurting her tail. I LOVE the big fluffy tail and don't want her to ruin it on herself. Thanks, again, this is great.

Lori
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

TAZ-I just thought of something else, do you think she gets "pleasure" from thinking she's "getting" the people she hears. I wouldn't doubt it, vicious chow that she is and all! LOL :)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe chases her tail once in awhile, if I Hold it for her she will chew on it like she is cleaning. Check her tail for hot spots or some skin irritation. Pekoes tail gets really dry at times.

Might be just excitment form seeing you, spinning around in circles and that 30 seconds of play Chows do.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

kiwani wrote:

"There is research showing that chewing or biting behavior, self-mutilation, or excessive licking behavior is a way for the dog to release endogenous opioids in the brain's pleasure center. The opioids calm the anxiety and help diffuse frustration."

Taz wrote:

"In other words, the dog is bored."

---

Chows as a breed have stress hormone issues. That is why they need to be socialized, desensitized to stressors, and not over-stimulated or frightened when young. If mishandled as pups, it often doesn't take much to set off their fright or flight response later on.

This particular Chow was kept tied up outdoors by her previous owner. If all she could do back then was whirl in circles or bite something to release stress, that's the behavior she'll regress to when similarly stressed today. It doesn't take much stress to set off a previously mishandled Chow either.

If it were only caused by boredom, then the behavior would surface at other times as well. The way I understood the opening post was that the neighbors' noise was setting off the behavior.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

The one and only toy Rogan ever played with was a puzzle ball. You fill it with treats (or dry food) and they have to role the ball. Pieces of food fall out if it is rolled correctly. He loves it still to this day, especially when he knows he's got the puzzle solved and can get a good snack! Foster and Smith calls them Buster Balls. :shock:
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

kiwani wrote:kiwani wrote:

"There is research showing that chewing or biting behavior, self-mutilation, or excessive licking behavior is a way for the dog to release endogenous opioids in the brain's pleasure center. The opioids calm the anxiety and help diffuse frustration."

Taz wrote:

"In other words, the dog is bored."

---

Chows as a breed have stress hormone issues. That is why they need to be socialized, desensitized to stressors, and not over-stimulated or frightened when young. If mishandled as pups, it often doesn't take much to set off their fright or flight response later on.

This particular Chow was kept tied up outdoors by her previous owner. If all she could do back then was whirl in circles or bite something to release stress, that's the behavior she'll regress to when similarly stressed today. It doesn't take much stress to set off a previously mishandled Chow either.

If it were only caused by boredom, then the behavior would surface at other times as well. The way I understood the opening post was that the neighbors' noise was setting off the behavior.
Yes, you are right. But the behavier is caused by boredom.
When a dog or any animal is kept by itself 24/7 with nothing to do, the
animal reacts to this by doing unnatural behavier.
As u said, to release stress.
Why she reacts by chasing her tail when the neighbor walks out, not 100 %sure, but it could be because of stress.
When a dog gets really stressed, they jawn allot, but your Chow could react to stress by chasing her tail.
You could go to her and try to calm her down, as you would do when the dog barks. At least thats what I do.
Just don't comfort her. :)
Or you could try distraction, when ever you hear the neighbors downstairs, and you see that Willow is going to react on that, walk over to her and distract her. Make her sit, play with her, give her a kong with somthing good inside. It's not allways easy, trust me, but it's worth a try. :)

This is just some advice.

Or you could try this. (Ps. not trying to start an discussion)
When the neighbors are going out, walk over to Willow and sit next to her, then jawn allot.
That means you are telling her that there is nothing to be stressed about.
As jawning is the most common sign for releasing stress.
Just another advice. (Don't bite my head off)
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

kiwani wrote: Chows as a breed have stress hormone issues. That is why they need to be socialized, desensitized to stressors, and not over-stimulated or frightened when young. If mishandled as pups, it often doesn't take much to set off their fright or flight response later on.

Any breeds has stress hormon issues, and any breed should be socialized when young.
Chows are dogs, not a different species.

And yes, if it were only caused by boredom, the behavier would surface at other times as well.
But it could be a stress trigger that makes her do this behavier.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think some of you are making way to much out this, from the way it sounds she is barking because she lives in a close community, Apt.Townhome, Condo what ever. She hears and sense's the people getting to close to her domain so barks, that's called a guard dog as in Chow,, natural instinct, created and born just for that purpose. as for the tail biting I think she just gets excited that someone is coming or like I said possible dry skin or hot spots, she is not turning into Psycho Chow that needs to be taken in right away for emergency psychiatric treatment.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Jeff&Peks wrote:I think some of you are making way to much out this, from the way it sounds she is barking because she lives in a close community, Apt.Townhome, Condo what ever. She hears and sense's the people getting to close to her domain so barks, that's called a guard dog as in Chow,, natural instinct, created and born just for that purpose. as for the tail biting I think she just gets excited that someone is coming or like I said possible dry skin or hot spots, she is not turning into Psycho Chow that needs to be taken in right away for emergency psychiatric treatment.
Nobody said she needed emergency psychiatric treatment, but
biting the tail, it's not good for the dog.
She had biten it to blood. And she did ask for any advice.
So why can't we just give her that?

Excited or stress, almost the same. But she needs to be calmed down when she hears the neighbours.

But as i've always said, I do things a bit different from other people in here.
Maybe it's because i'm from Norway. U never know. :P
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Taz, you are from this side of "The Pond" and so am I! :wink:

Therefore, I think that we do see things slightly differently! I think those over The Pond are great and I love corresponding and posting and reading their views, but I do think we are more laid back about our Chows.

To start with, I think they are seriously disadvantaged with the bad press and the bad reputation their Chow Chows have. Here on "The Island", our Chows do not have a bad reputation like that and I think you have mentioned before that in Norway the Chows do not have such a bad reputation and also, I do not think we have the instance of "back-street" breeders so therefore, our Chows do not show an aggressive behaviour. Also, their laws are very different - they even differ from State to State.

They worry more! Except Jeff, of course, who will always back Pekoe, Queen of Attitude - his theory is, Pekoe is right and everybody else is wrong. And I agree with him - I would love to meet Pekoe!! :lol: :roll: 8)

So, purple kisses from Milly and Mabel.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

kiwani wrote:

"Chows as a breed have stress hormone issues. That is why they need to be socialized, desensitized to stressors, and not over-stimulated or frightened when young. If mishandled as pups, it often doesn't take much to set off their fright or flight response later on."

Taz wrote:

"Any breeds has stress hormon issues, and any breed should be socialized when young.Chows are dogs, not a different species."

---

Chow temperament is unique because they are independent thinkers, and are loyal to themselves first. As lone hunters, not pack animals, they have a more finely tuned nervous system scanning for danger, etc.

When they are mishandled, overstimulated, overstressed, or frightened as pups, the part of the brain which stores all fear memories, enlarges. This part of the brain is like a trigger waiting to go off, increasing stress hormones and the fight or flight response.

Since sound is the fastest way to reach this part of the brain, clicker training is often used to interrupt and redirect fear-based behavior.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

kiwani wrote: Chow temperament is unique because they are independent thinkers, and are loyal to themselves first. As lone hunters, not pack animals, they have a more finely tuned nervous system scanning for danger, etc.

When they are mishandled, overstimulated, overstressed, or frightened as pups, the part of the brain which stores all fear memories, enlarges. This part of the brain is like a trigger waiting to go off, increasing stress hormones and the fight or flight response.

Since sound is the fastest way to reach this part of the brain, clicker training is often used to interrupt and redirect fear-based behavior.
Many breeds are independent thinkers.
How is Clicker training used to interrupt and redirect fear-based behavior?
Want your opinion on it. :)
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Kiwani: Are you writing all this yourself or copying it from a book?
Don't take any offence from this question.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Its not that I think Pekoe can do no wrong (which is true) I think no Chow can do wrong, If a Chow bites or acts aggressive towards someone what did that person do to cause the problem, I haven't yet to see or ever read about a Chow that went of its way to attack or bother anyone. The way I see it, in a Chows mind if you leave me alone then I will leave you alone, you bother me or my home then we have a problem. Leave me alone when I eat and sleep, Treat as as you would anyone else in the family and not like a dog, then we will all get along fine.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Jeff - sorry - I remember you saying that Pekoe can do no wrong - also I remember you saying Chow Chow can do no wrong!! :D And I agree with you and what you say.

They are just happy to get on with their own lives in the way they plan.

I agree - I maintain M & M can do no wrong - and I would poersonally bite anyone who hurt them!!

I still maintain Chow Chow are different! :)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

No thats ok you had it right as far as i'm concerened Pekoe can do no wrong.

But you have to think this guy is nuts in one topic i am saying Pekoe can do no wrong but in another topic I am saying Pekoe just tried to kill 5 people at the vets office, owell Pekoe is Pekoe.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Jeff - no need to explain - as you say Pekoe is Pekoe and as I said before, I sat here like an idiot chortling away and thinking "That's my girl, Go Pekoe"................ :lol:

Also I said that you lot across The Pond worry more! I did refrain from admitting that Fred is like a trembling mass of Jelly is he thinks there is anything wrong with M or M!! :roll:
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Thanks for all the responses again. Kiwani, do you have more information on the stress hormone??? Any links I can go to or anthing? Seems like that makes the most sense regardless of whether or not it's unique to a chow.

And just for the record, Taz, Willow is NOT left home alone more than a few hours a day from when I leave for work at 1pm and my husband comes home around 4 or 5pm. Some Friday's she's not left alone at all because he's home before I leave and on weekends and nights I take her with me if I go anywhere. So, where this being left alone 24/7 came from I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Judy, yes the bad breeding and mishandling has certainly hurt this breed here in the US.

Jeff-Where are the Pekoe pics???
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Happy Willow Girl :)