chowdren happiness

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

chowdren happiness

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

What do each of you think of when you think of a happy chow? What is the ideal living condition? How do your chows live?
I make sure my chowdren are up to date on all heartworm and flea and tick preventative, shots, and have the best healthcare. I play with them and brush them daily. They always have loads of fresh doggie toys to play with. And thier outdoor living spaces are kept clean.
My chowdren currently have 2 large runs to separate them, and the back yard, nearly 3/4 of an acre is being fenced in along with a 3rd run larger than the other 2. They get to come in when they want, and stay out when they want. I brush them, and love them and play with them, they get to go on outings like to Natural bridge, and occasionally to petsmart when we go. They have children who dout on them. This to me is the most ideal living situation that any of my chows have been in, but I don't think any were unhappy as they were always loved. Some people live in apartments and I don't think that they are any less happy or loved.

My past chowdren didnt have such luxury but I don't think they were any less happy. There was a time when I lived in a bedroom with my son and 2 of my chows. No yard to play in, just leashed walked. Many hours away from her when i worked. She never seemed unhappy. I am curious what everyones idea of a happy chow is. I ask that because of reading what Terry wrote about the chows his mentor kept who couldnt find homes. That they were semi happy. How could they be happy when they lived in ?6x20? runs and played in the main yard for 30-60 minutes a day...
How can we judge our chows or any others happiness? is it what they have, where they live, what they don't have? What makes someone be able to say what makes them happy? What do each of you think of when you think of a happy chow? How do your chows live? What do you think is cruel?
Do you think letting a dog stay outside in nice weather is cruel? I mean we, people, go camping don't we? Do you think our chowdren should be kept inside at all times when not relieving themselves? Whats a happy chow to you?
chris

Post by chris »

Well, as most of you know Steel is my 3rd Chow. My first 2 did experience both townhome living and single family home living with a big fenced in yard. they seemed happy no matter where they lived as long as they were with us. meaning our family. I always made sure they and Steel are up to date on shots.. they get walks.. they get to play.. I play with them, the kids play with them, they get brushed and when I can manage it.. LOL.. a bath. :-) OH and their pool.(Steel loves his butt scratches every morning ;-) ) I never yell at them if all they are looking for is something they need or attention. Now if they are being bad.. thats different.
They get to go outside and stay out there if they want, If they want to come inside and stay inside they can do that also. Pretty much, they get to do what they want if I think it is safe and they will not be hurt by what they are doing.

Un happy chow chows... well, to tell you the truth, I don't think Steel is happy when no one is here so I don't think that any would be happy, or happy being seperated from the family while they are home. No interaction with a chow, they get bord.. being abused, underfed, outside in thunderstorms that they are scared of, infested with fleas or ticks or some internal parasite cant make them happy. I think I could go on here...

But my Chow Chow's. Happy Chow Chow's :-)
chris

Post by chris »

OH, and did I mention the car rides they get to take and hang their head out the window? :D
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

I think it would vary with each individual and experience that they have. And each person's view on what creates a happy dog differs as much as opinions differ on what makes a happy child. of course the basics! Food, health care, water... those are the absolute necessity in they're lives to exist... The rest? that is where the debate comes in. My dogs on indoor, on the bed, lick your ice cream cone (thats for you Cherie! LOL!) kind of dogs! But I do not believe that they NEED the ice cream or NEED to sleep on the bed to feel they are loved... its different rules for different doggy parents of what is and is not acceptable in they're lives. We all have different "parenting" styles and different expectations for our homes and our lives... these expectations are shown thru how we express love and boundaries for our chowdren.
I know someone that ties they're dog out on a very long lead. he is comes in whenever he is ready and has a very active happy life... and his mommy? I've never met ANYONE that was more obsessive over making sure he got the right food and toys and chewies and enough belly rubs and play time! I look at his face... and that is one HAPPY HAPPY dog! But he is tied out to go outside. There is nothing that anyone could do or say to convince me that he is unhappy. I have a fence for my dogs... there is no way I would try to tie them out when I've got THREE!!! That would be INSANE!!!
So what is the answer... I don't know what makes a happy dog. I know that mine feel loved. I know my friend's dog who is tied out whenever he wants and brought in whenever he wants feels loved. I think anyone that is interested enough to even BE on a site like this has a chow that most CERTAINLY feels loved. Those of us that know a dog is not "just a dog"... they are our friends, our companions, our confidantes, our therapists, our everything... those of us that know that, I have faith that all our dogs feel completely loved, because they are. I fully believe that dogs are very in tune with our emotions and our feelings. They don't have to understand our words to understand that they are loved, they feel it off of every pore in our bodies.
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

I know I've evolved alot in pet guardianship even though I was raised in a very pet responsible home. I guess by the time we decided we weren't having kids is when the pets we had really took on a richer, more meaningful role in our lives and vice versa. Our (hubby and I) Ruby (border collie) passed at a very old age of cancer, that taught us alot. When I reflect on her care and nuture, we may not have done the best by her. By that I mean, the excercise and social stimulation that all dogs need. That was our youth and immaturity I suppose. She was a happy girl though, just abit sheltered. Then there was Shadie who was so darn full of personality that we just melded together naturally. That's about the time when health care and nutrition began to really improve and we did only the best for her. She had aggression "issues" :oops: (adopted at 2 years old, probably a drug house guard dog - we speculate) so we were just one tiny (but happy) family of 3, again no social stimulation, but that was her nature and we needed to be responsible pet guardians and keep she and her potential victims safe. She loved being the "only child" and we included her in everything we could (with just us), car rides, walks, etc. seldom vacationing as most kennels wouldn't take her (#1, she was mostly Akita; #2 her dog aggression). She slept on the bed or anywhere for that matter and loved us to pieces and we had a devotion to her beyond measure. In her geriatric years, she came down with a number of old age conditions and diseases. We treated everything possible and sadly guided her to the Bridge, in our home, on her bed, on 10/17/03. We know many people thought we kept her too long (she was completely paralyzed for her last 5 months with DM), but she told us one day she was ready and that's what we listened to.
Then came Kodi :D . Didn't know what a chow was and as always, just let her pick us - at the Humane Society. With Shadie, I'd read alot on animal behavior and psychology AND we'd just been guardian for a neighbors cat (ok, for 3 years--long story) so between the exposure to both, it was fascinating to watch this CAT in a BEAR SUIT settle into our lives. As I'd read and we experienced, it really DID take about 6 months for her to get fully comfortable. She's got such a great temperment, gets along with every one and all dogs (Yeah!!!!! finally!!-we got one that's friendly!!). She is truly a happy girl. Not a goofy happy, but a content, confident in her own skin kind of happy and it shows. That makes US happy.

Basically, if my pet is happy, I'm happy.
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I can really only speak for Millie. We live in an apartment with a balcony (which she loves to hang out on) & she goes in 2 walks a day or 1 walk & time in an OLA. She is also brushed every other day at lest & played with multiple times a day. She gets regular preventative meds, vet care as needed, is microchipped, had fancy leashes, collars & boots to protect her little feet ( :lol: ) She also gets better quality food & supplements than DH & I. However, I can honestly say that I think the only think she cares about is whether she is with DH or me. She likes to be with us, go places with us & drag us through bushes to get the squirrels :roll: She loves company & stimulation, luckily as I'm home she gets it most of the time.
Thank you Elodie!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

This is a good post. I was wondering about this too. I am sure there will be some people who have issues with the way I do things but it works for us and our chows are loved and well adjusted. My two are outside in the fenced in yard all day while we are at work. They have a covered patio, two dog houses, lots of water, and toys. They come inside in the evening and then they go out for a little bit before they come in and go to bed in my daughters room where they sleep. Teddie usually cries to go outside around 5:00am. Boogie doesn't go out until my daughter and I leave around 6:15am. My husband feeds them before he leaves at 8:00am. Then I come back home at lunch time to check on them. Then I don't come back until around 5:00pm. They get fed and a walk and then they go with me wherever I have to go to pick up my daughter in the evening. They chill with us watching TV but Teddie has to be on leash the whole time in the house so he doesn't hunt the cat.

I know I would be happier if they could come inside when they wanted but as long as we have the cat, they can't have a doggie door. I do know that they are happier outside when we are not home. Sometimes when it is storming outside or 100 degrees outside I will bring them inside and put them in a room but they don't seem to like it. Teddie barks the entire time according to my neighbors. :roll:

I do think you can tell when your dog is unhappy. Our last foster dog wasn't happy with the routine. He wanted to be inside and he was very jealous of any of the other pets getting attention. He took out his aggression on them. He was a great dog but he was needy and needed to be with his people all the time and without other pets.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Colonel has a fenced in yard, but he doesn't care to go in it except to do his "business", then he's right back inside and close to me.
All three of my furkids are with me all day, so we have lots of quality time together playing, learning, and snuggling. They go where I go, except to the doctor's office and to buy groceries.
They are our children and are treated no differently than they would be if they were human...except for the Advantix flea protection and the heartworm medicine. :wink:
They eat the best foods money can buy and they eat it twice daily.
All three are on daily routines and live a structured life, which I believe helps to build their self esteem.
Colonel has been with us a little over 2 months and has already overcome separation anxiety, food bowl aggression, toy aggression, small dog aggression, and emaciation, and not to forget, he had three surgeries in his first month!
All of my furkids demonstrate that they are extremely happy to have been rescued by hubby and me!
Maybe, because they make hubby and me extremely happy!
We love them dearly.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

I believe it's very simple. Love.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I agree, They know it when you have unconditional love for them. In return they show it back.

David
chris

Post by chris »

j72

yep, Steel has a lead too. He runs so I can't just let him out the door to run the couryard. But unless its winter or a cool day, he doesn't want to be out there anyway. He likes being with us as well. I think thats what makes them happy... everyone here has said the same thing... they seem most happy when they are WITH their family and interacting with them. :D OK, I have to go and snuggle with Steel... C YA later...
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

Since each chowkid has a separate and distinct personality, it's somewhat difficult to make generalities as to what makes them happy and "loved..." However, I'll take a stab at it.

It's my opinion that if they're loved by their family, they are happy and content. We provide a large house, all the food and water they could ever want, lots of attention in the form of daily brushing and twice-weekly tooth brushing (that's fun, trust me...), a large fenced backyard and, barring either inclement weather or hot, steamy temps, daily walks. They get all their meds, they go to the Spa to get their hair and nails done monthly and they love riding in the car (although both of them prefer the Jeep to my BMW sportscar with the two little bucket seats!!!). And, most important, they are loved by us and we, in turn, are loved by them. That makes everyone in our home HAPPY!!! :D :D :D
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I was watching Lily at my parent's home last week. She was on her tieout, laying on a gentle slope, under a shade tree, surveying the fields and forests in her eye-line. She looked totally content.

Now if you think of another chow, in the same situation, on a tieout and rural splendor as far as the eye can see...but so what. This Chow will live it's life at the end of it's tieout, with little interaction or love. Certainly, no grooming.

Same lovely setting, but 2 very different situations. It's not always the fenced yard that is the better living condition. Everything in it's own context, I say.

The difference between the happy Chow and Terry's description of the semi-happy Chow, is, in a word- LOVE. I know, shmaltzy sounding, but so very true. A Chow can put up with alot, as long as they have their family to love, and love them back.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

I can't imagine that our Chow, Loki, could be anything but happy with his life. He's come a long way from being a homeless chow to living with constant love and attention. He gets homecooked meals, long walks in the woods, lots of car rides (he gets so excited when he sees the car keys!)and an occasional ice cream cone. His favorite spot is the screened in porch...he's not crazy about wandering in the yard, but he loves the protection of the porch. Of course, he sleeps in our room right by the bed. We are awarded with lots of purple kisses.
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

This has been good everyone, keep them coming! It love to see how the bottom line is "Chowdren being with thier people, and vice versa and showing affection toward thier chowdren. "
How many of you have flesh kids too? What role do they play in your chowdrens happiness? I have 5 kids and if each of them had 5 chows a piece they'd be over the moon! But I draw the line at 7 dogs...5 kids, 1 cat a gunea pig and a cameleon.
I often get the looks from people while out shopping like I have just brought the circus to town. My kids are well behaved, but for some reason, I still get the "are they all yours?" "Do you know how that happnens?" and the dreaded, "You have your hands full" all because I have a large family. I love my large family and I don't see the big deal, just like I didnt see the big deal with having 7 dogs. It seems pretty normal to me. I do think its a bit odd to hear about people who have dogs in the multitudes, but I have seen that work too, but I know I could never do it. I don't like seeing people who have say, hundreds of cats running about all with eye yuck and thier house a mess. I think they call them collectors. Or to see puppymill stories where the dogs are all in small outdoor raised kennels, with just enough room to turn around, stand up and all thier droppings pretty much fall down below them... that is so sad. To never know anything more than eating, breathing, and pooping in a small cage. That to me is an unhappy dog. Regardless of wheter its fed, and watered, and has shelter. That is definately unhappy.

Do any of you who have one to three kids, or one to three dogs think that people who have more kids or more dogs, can't take care of them properly? What is the honest thought on that? And why?
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I think that most people who have been on here for more than a couple of months know how my chows live. But basically it is this. They have thier "room" in my office/spareroom. It is where I spend my free time. They each have a crate or carrier in the house. Ziyears is in the laundry room and Ivana's is in the living room (basically my living room kitchen and laudry are connected). They have loads of toys Ivana never plays with them Ziyear does. They both have beds in their room. Ivana gets walked once a day in the evening. It is a three mile trail. Ziyear has moved to 2-3 times per day. I would always do three with him, but the heat this time of year does not always allow me to. They only go outside in the yard to potty for 20-30 min. Ziyear a little more in the evenings lately..about an hour. So he can run amuck. Of course all the vet and prevenatives. And they eat the best food I can give them with the knowlege I have at the time.

Personally I think that any chow who is given the basics (food, water, shelter, grooming, vet care) and is loved by his family no matter how big or small he will be happy. Chow are just wonderful. They love those that love them.

Ivana is the first chow that was 100% my resposiblity from birth. And I have made some mistakes. I should have known better mistakes, but I think she is happy. Nope. I know she is happy her follwing me everywhere and wagging her tail everytime I look at her is testament to this fact.

"Do any of you who have one to three kids, or one to three dogs think that people who have more kids or more dogs, can't take care of them properly? What is the honest thought on that? And why?"

I have two kids and right now two chows. I think that that I could have more if I was we were not in the military. But right now I would never have more of either.

I know it is possible to have more and keep them happy. Having so many relatives who were breeders let me know it can be done. But 1. if it is allot more than say 10 the others need to be puppies who are moving. And if it is a kennel then there needs to be volunteers or hired help to make sure they get all the attention they need. If someone has more than I would say 4 or 5 they need to have someone home all day or again someone to come in and take care of them or go to daycare. To make sure they get all the care and attention that they need. I think having more than a couple is a full time job. And they need a large house so they can all live in a clean and comfortable home.

I also think that a chow or two could live quite happily in an apartment. I think it all depends on the people, the home, the time, and the finacial situation.

Its like my grandparents on my dad's side. They had 12 children all togeather. I could never do that even if I had the house and time and love. I would not have the mental capacities to handle it. I don't know how they made sure everyone felt loved and cared for. And actually cared for them all. But there are those people out there who are just truly amazing.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

What a great thought provoking thread!

Terrina and I have been blessed by having so many foster furkids in our home. This in addition to our own 5 dogkids, 2 children, 8 grandchildren and a herd of cats. The furkids have been from 4 weeks to 12 years old, some in good health some not.
Children/grandchildren range from 1 year to 32 years old. Thank God all of our children have been in good health. Some of our grandchildren have special needs, trust me it does not change the way you love them. Children grandchildren or furkid have all been able to share in our love and taught us so much!

Things that each and everyone of our furkids has had in common after allowing for settling time. This was the time each of us the got to know the other. This can range from days to weeks.

The look in their eyes when they realize:
  • They are not going to be left outside in terrible conditions.
    They will be able to eat every day.
    No one is going to hit them ever again.
    They have plenty of things to play with. Other dogs, cats, toys and their people. In our case this would be Terrina, me and 8 grandchildren.
How can you tell that children fur or not know they are loved?
It has been written in almost every post I have read in this thread.
  • They come up to you and lay their head on your lap without you calling them.
    They know when you are worried about them or anything else.
    They some how know when you do not feel well. This is when they will be at their naughtiest.
    You will see it in their eyes when they look up to you.
So the bottom line.. how can you tell your furkids and your children know they are loved?
It is the look you get as they are walking away from you to play or checkout the world. They will pause and look back to make sure you are still there! This applies to all children with and without fur.

One thing in closing my long winded post. Want to keep your children fur or not out of trouble? Give them something better to do! Hopefully with each other!!

Larry Harris
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

"Do any of you who have one to three kids, or one to three dogs think that people who have more kids or more dogs, can't take care of them properly? What is the honest thought on that? And why?"

I do not think that having multiple kids or dogs would cause them to be neglected in any way. if you are capable of giving the time and attention to each individual (dog or human child) then you are doing just fine.
I have one human and three dog children. I do not feel capable of more at this point in my life. My friend has three children and one dog (we are the yin and yang I guess! :-) ) and she works a full time job, takes her kids to all they're activities and manages a very busy household and none of her children (fur or otherwise) feel as they though are suffering. I know she would like to have one more of both (puppy and baby). I believe she is completely capable of handling that situation without anyone suffering (except maybe her carpet).
Though our life styles aren't that different, she is just capable in making that work in her life... it would vary with the individual. I've known a woman with 10 kids, ages 4 months to 18 years, and every one of those kids felt loved and important and valuable for who they are... I would probably rather slice my tongue up with razor blades and pour lemon juice on it than attempt to handle that many kids! But she has that thing inside that makes her not only able to to it, but to flourish at it!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Carla, I love that you added the question about NUMBER of dogs and kids. I admire people who have more then one kid and pet. I raised one daughter and have always had 1 pet at a time.

I chose to have one daughter and I choose to have one Chow. Partly because I'M THE SELFISH one and I want THEIR full attention and I guess I just figure if I give them my full attention and love then that will be what I get in return.

Some of my friends have 5 kids and some of them 1. Some of the parents with MANY need to learn better parenting skills and some of the parents with 1 ALSO need to learn better parenting skills. :)

I think that raising kids is all a trial and error gig because things that work for some kids will not work for others. I used to tell my Mom to smack me and get it over with because I hated lectures. Grounding didn't work on Raven she liked hanging around at home and when ever I took EVERYTHING away, she would just go to sleep. ANNOYED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!! With her it was all about putting the choice and the responsibility back on her.

We seem to have a little more control with how we raise dogs. They get boundaries that they live with all their lives. We supply them with the basics. The best pet owners supply the basics and love.

Yard, tether, apartment, ranch, or the Chow Mahal, :) (love that place) it all doesn't matter one iota unless the love and attention is included.

Sid has his yard (he doesn't like it), he has his tether (he'd rather be on the tether looking out at the cars and people walking down the street), he has his babysitters (my Mom and Dad who's front yard IS fenced and he gets to look at cars and people), Sid sleeps with me. He eats and drinks when ever he wants. He gets treats and is groomed until he can't stand it anymore :lol: He goes to ball games, BBQ's, dog parks, picnics, pet store, feed store and when he could fit in a cart I even snuck him into Raley's and Walmart (sorry Jeff) ..

Now.. If a Chow, or ANY dog, had the best of everything but is only seen when it was time to throw some kibble into a bowl, THAT is when I would think a dog is having a 'semi-happy' life. I feel it's the interaction between two beings that makes the life a whole.

Some people can have many and can give equal love to all! Some people probably have the love to give to more but, for whatever reason, choose to focus on one individual at a time.

Ok, I've watched Jerry Mcguire way too many times and this one phrase sticks with me every day:
IF THE HEART IS EMPTY THE HEAD DOESN'T MATTER!! :)
kitcatak
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitcatak »

I have 3 children, 3 cats, Leo and 2 fish. I love them all differently (except the fish, we don't have a good relationship, they prefer my daughter). I love my almost 13 yr old because she is so unassuming, I love my 11 yr old because of her attitude (some days I dislike her for the very same reason!!) and I love my 4 yr old because she makes me laugh!. I love Leo for all those reasons combined! Oh, I love the kitties because they are furry little lap warmers. Who could ask for more???

I know that Leo is happy. Every picture I have taken of him shows his sense of humor. I love looking out at him playing with his toys rolling around on his back and squeeking them. I love how he looks when he runs across the yard, tail up and fur blowing in the wind. If he was sad he wouldn't do those things. He also has a happy soul you can see through his deep, dark eyes!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Tracy, I love the way you described each kid separately!! It gave me a good laugh because Raven went through all those stages!! LOL.. When she was little and I made her sit in the HAPPY CHAIR she hated it, but, learned fast that if she wanted to be part of what I was doing, then she had to be "happy".. I didn't make her sit in the chair, she could get out when she decided she would be "happy".. hahaha.. She tells me now that she actually LIKES that technique and uses it when she babysits and will use it on her children. LOL.. KIDS.. I love kids!!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Wow Carla. Funny, I was just thinking how I thought Jasmine seemed happier before we moved. But then again, I was happier before we moved. Jasmine has always had the basics, food, water, vet care. Peanut has also, since coming to live with me.

Before I moved, Jaz was with me 24/7, just the 2 of us. We used to share all our meals. We used to play all the time, fetch, tug, and Jaz had a zoomies path through the apt that kept her very happy and me amused. I had to tether her outside but she had a 50 ft cable and a yard with a large shade tree. That's a lot of room for a little Chowgirl to play on. She’d do zoomies around the yard, too, even tethered. She wouldn't play with them, but she had human kids to watch.

Now I have to work, I'm not home half the day/evening. Jaz doesn't like being left alone and I get the sad puppy face look when I leave, like I'm abandoning her forever. At least she has Peanut with her now. Most of the time I don't eat at home so no shared meals. Jaz doesn't want to play here; there’s no zoomie path inside, and when I let her out into the fenced “alleyway” she will start, but then stop. (I feel bad that I may have stopped her from doing zoomies anymore :cry: ) I got a place with a 'yard' but she can't enjoy it. It didn't get fixed the way I was promised when I moved in. Now the landlord doesn't think it needs changed, so we have a small patch of river rock, no grass, no trees. All Jaz and Peanut do is sit on the small sidewalk from the door to the gate. They only venture out onto the rocks to do their business. Jaz loves being tethered even on a short leash in the front area. There's grass and bushes, and trees, and lots of smells to keep her busy. But I can't leave them out front when I'm not here. And when I'm here I can't leave them outside unless out with them. Granddaughter moved away so no human child interaction anymore.

But when I look at Jasmines little face, snappy eyes, and the purple tongue smiles and purple kisses she gives me, I can't say she is not happy. I think where ever I am, she is content to be. I see the trust, love, and happiness in her eyes and body language.

Peanut is unhappy. I look in her eyes, and she is sad. I think the poor girl been bounced around too much. She lived with son and his dad since a pup, then with just son, then with just dad, now with me, but son comes and gets her once in a while and keeps her a few days, brings her back, will take her to his dads overnight to keep him happy, on and on. I think she doesn't know who her human is or where she really belongs anymore. I don't think I give her as much individual attention as she should get but she pulls away and won't let me love on her.

Then there are the 2 cats, trying to boss the dogs around. But the cats seem happy.
~ Sally
Bearsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

canine happiness

Post by Bearsmom »

No matter the pet, dog, guinea pig, cat, bird... it is my belief that will be happy if it is appreciated by caring for it and loving it in combination.

Specifically regarding my Bear2 and all those sweet canines that preceded him... my connection with them, my talking with them, feeding them, grooming and playing with them, laughing with them, walking with them lots, and caring for their health in ways that they did not feel threatened, allowed all of us to bond as a human family would, with trust, and Love.

Particularly with Bear2, I have had to establish my dominance and Rule. The thing is, he seems to crave it, and when I insist is just so damn happy that he knows what to do to comply. He's smart, and he knows I require more of him than to just be a fluffball. His happiness comes from pleasing me, and I let him know in armfull hugs and many, many strokes and soft words that he is the bestest chowdren a person could have...

Also, if I dont' give him a job to do while I am gone, or any dogdren that I have had, they get bored. The simple command to "guard the house" has been a standard success. I congratulate them on doing a good job when I get home. When I have forgotten, not with Bear2 but with others, when I got home, inevitably they have gotten into mischief. Even my cats prefer a job like that to nothing...*smiles*

As was earlier pointed out, the dog on the lead unloved is far different than the dog on the lead loved and paid attention to. Chowdren not unlike many canines ask only our attention and love. they don't even ask for care. A dog will love you until it dies of starvation if you are loving it. A measure of the trust we are dealt when we take on these formidable companions.

Bear2 was even good at the vets today because he trusted me. No problems at all. And he was Aces though hip dysplasia may be a future issue. I sure do love this guy. He's one special dude.

Bear2smom
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

When I was a child in Wales I had a little verse in a frame. I wish I knew what happened to it but the words were,

"A master who is firm and kind
And understands a doggy mind.
A walkie and a meal each day,
That's all I ask for when I pray."

The picture was of a little girl sitting up in bed, with her eyes closed and her hands together in prayer and the little dog was sitting on the floor with his front paws on the side of the bed and his head bent down on his paws.
It was entitled "A Dog's Prayer"

and I think that about sums up what is necessary for a happy chow chow.

My M & M I am sure are happy. We have a modest home, we have lots of love and we make sure they are fed, wormed, are taken to the vet when needed. We brush and comb them, take care with their food, make sure they have fresh water, we take them for walks, we play with them but most importantly, we talk to them and love them and we see the love in their eyes when they look at us. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Judy Fox wrote:When I was a child in Wales I had a little verse in a frame. I wish I knew what happened to it but the words were,

"A master who is firm and kind
And understands a doggy mind.
A walkie and a meal each day,
That's all I ask for when I pray."

The picture was of a little girl sitting up in bed, with her eyes closed and her hands together in prayer and the little dog was sitting on the floor with his front paws on the side of the bed and his head bent down on his paws.
It was entitled "A Dog's Prayer"

and I think that about sums up what is necessary for a happy chow chow.

My M & M I am sure are happy. We have a modest home, we have lots of love and we make sure they are fed, wormed, are taken to the vet when needed. We brush and comb them, take care with their food, make sure they have fresh water, we take them for walks, we play with them but most importantly, we talk to them and love them and we see the love in their eyes when they look at us. :D
How beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes. I think it does sum us a happy Chow. Time to create a cross stitch sampler...
~ Sally