more puppy pics

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

more puppy pics

Post by simbasmom »

Here are a few puppy pics, and one of my Simba who is waiting for us at the rainbow bridge. My brother sent me the pictures last night :D

Resting after a hard day of play!

Ok, I want my dinner already!
What are we going to play today!
Hmm, dinner I think not!
Simba - I miss him every day
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Beautiful pictures of Coco and Simba. :)
I am sure you do miss Simba but just remember the good times. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Cute pictures. :)
But what is wrong with his eye`?
Joe & Robin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Joe & Robin »

Taz - I may be wrong but it seems that alot of Chow pups tear when they are young. Our Bear did that until she got older. It dose not look like entropion because the eye is wide open. Mai Tai on the other hand, had severe entropion where her eye was closed. We have since had that corrected.
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

I had Coco to the vet this week and he thinks that it is the entropian eye thingy. He says that the eyelid is turned under. We are cleaning it daily and keeping an "eye" on it. The vet says they don't do anything with it until they are at least 6 months old. So we are going to wait until his appt to get fixed and do both things at the same time instead of putting him under 2 times.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Koda's eyes also tear and I was also worried about eye entropian. I talked to our vet about it when I had Kodie there 2 weeks ago and my vet said that he did not want to do anything about it right now. He said sometimes they grow out of it and he did not want to put Koda under anesthesia anymore than he had to. Koda has a small belly button hernia that needs to be repaired and will also be getting "fixed" in February when he is about 6 months old and our vet said if his eyes are still running, he will fix them then. He wants to do it all at one time to lessen the risks of anesthesia. I saw (and appreciated) the wisdom in that. I'm on the AOL chow boards also. There is one member there who seems to feel she is the all knowing "alpha of the yard" When she saw the picture of Koda sitting on my door step in the first snow we got, she commented about how bad his eyes were tearing and that I had better get him to a vet. I informed her that he had been to the vet and what my vet had said. She told me I needed to find a vet or look for a university of veterinary medice where they know what they are doing and get his eyes tacked while he is still a pup, and that could possibly avoid surgery later on. Well tacking the eyes (if there is such a thing) would mean surgery wouldn't it? I told her that he is getting his hernia repaired and "fixed" when he is 6 months old and if his eyes need fixed, my vet will do it then, and last I heard 6 months was still a pup, and that I had complete trust in my vet. Her reply was that she hated it when people put their dogs in for surgery and complications rather than even conside they or their vet might be wrong. <rolling eyes> I ended the discussion by refusing to reply to her. But a friend of mine who is on the boards sent Koda's picture to a friend of hers who breeds champion chows and asked her about Koda's eye. The breeder (who had dealt with eye entropian) said the same thing. He was too young for surgery. His head needed to grow and fill out before one could tell what his eyes would do (and that he was also adorable... LOL). So between what my vet said, Simbasmom's vet said and what the breeder has said, I feel comfortable in waiting until February to do anything about Kodie's eyes. :)
Nancy and Tai

ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

As a post script to my earlier reply... the "alpha of the yard" on the AOL Chow boards has also told me I'm not feeding Koda the right thing, that I am not training him the right way and that if I don't start doing the right things with him, I am going to have a troubled chow with a temprement problem. LOL Boy would I love to see Jeff get ahold of her. ROFL :twisted:
Nancy and Tai

chow0
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow0 »

ngraham

i wouldn't be so worried about koda having entropian, my pups eyes also tear. when i had him at the vet last week he said my pups eyes look GREAT,
no entropian! :)
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

When Chewie was a pup he was a bit teary and the vet just asked us to wait- which we are glad we did. He has no problems now and hasn't had a leaky eye in months. our newer girl Cayenne has blocked tear ducts. It is not something she needs fixed. She just has leaky eyes but it will not cause and health problems like entropian can. We thought we would be wiping them off everyday but we have a built in cleaner in Chewie! He cleans off her face every day. What a good little brother!
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

How cute. We have a mixed breed pup here that belongs to my daughter, but Sam doesn't pay much attention to Koda's eyes. LOL We'll wait and see what happens when he gets a little older. :)
Nancy and Tai