poisons and you dog

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

User avatar
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Cape Town South Africa
Contact:

poisons and you dog

Postby carolyn dewrance » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:12 am

I found this on another site, and thought that it might be of interest to all Chow owners, although my dogs eat avocado pears and dont seem to have the problems that are registered here I am now being very carefull and will not allow them to many, in case of upset tummys.

Ten things you should never give your pet.
Did you know there are things that you should never feed your cat or dog? This useful article, written by Dr. Karen Halligan is essential reading for all cat and-dog-owners.

"Having worked in emergency for numerous years, I have seen pets given all kinds of foods and drinks. An easy rule of thumb, if it isn't particularly healthy for you, it most likely is not good for your cat or dog. Some pets will eat almost anything, so pet owners need to be careful or they could end up in the local emergency room. The following are ten bad things to give your pets.

1. Make no bones about it -- bones are bad for animals! Every year countless numbers of animals end up in the emergency room from being given bones by their owners, usually as a treat.

The fact is that dogs are omnivores, not carnivores and most dogs and cats cannot tolerate bones. They can splinter or lodge in the intestinal tract with disastrous results, usually requiring surgery. They can also get stuck in their mouth or throat, which is just as dangerous. All bones are bad, including pork, chicken and beef. The next time you feel the urge to give your dog a bone, just make sure it's a milk bone or a nylabone. Your pet will love you for it.

2. Chocolate can be lethal to pets because it contains theobromine, which causes increased heart rate, central nervous system stimulation and constriction-of-arteries.Clinical symptoms range from vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, and excitability to cardiac failure, seizures and death. This can occur as quickly as four to six hours after ingestion. Baking chocolate is the worst because it contains the highest amount of-theobromine.

A potential lethal dose is only one pound of chocolate in a 16-pound dog. If your pet has gotten into chocolate you should contact your veterinarian immediately.

3. Alcohol is also very bad for cats and dogs. It doesn't take much alcohol to intoxicate a pet. Animals will stagger and bump into things, hurting themselves, and it also causes them to urinate uncontrollably.

In high doses, alcohol will suppress the central nervous, respiratory and cardiac systems and can lead to death. It is best to-just-give-your-pet-water.

4. Milk is also not good for animals because many of them are lactose intolerant and will develop diarrhea. Pets often lack the enzyme that is required to break down the sugar in milk and this can cause them to develop vomiting, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal symptoms.

Even though they like it, especially cats, refrain from giving your pets milk.

5. Ham and other salty meats and foods are very dangerous to pets. In addition to being high in fat, they are also very salty which can cause serious stomach ache or pancreatitis. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may drink too much water and develop a life-threatening condition called "bloat." This is where the stomach fills up with gas and within several hours may twist, causing the pet to die. Please avoid giving ham and salty foods to your pets.

6. Onions are toxic to pets. They contain allyl propyl disulfide, which damages their red blood cells and can cause fatal consequences in animals. They may become anemic, weak and have trouble breathing. The best thing to do if your pet ingests onions is to get them to the vet right-away.

7. Caffeine is also bad for pets. It contains methylated xanthine that, like chocolate, stimulates the central nervous and cardiac systems and within several hours can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations and even death. So make sure your pets stay away from that early-morning-brew.

8. Avocados are also bad for pets. First, they are really high in fat and can cause stomach upset, vomiting and even pancreatitis. Second, the pit is also toxic and can get lodged in the intestinal tract leading to a severe blockage, which may require-surgery.

9. It may come as a surprise to many that tuna fish is bad for cats. The feline heart muscle requires an amino acid called taurine to maintain normal strength and function. Regular tuna fish for humans does not have this amino acid and cats that eat too much tuna fish will develop heart problems. If you want to give your cats that taste of tuna that they love, just make sure it is tuna fish for cats which has this amino acid added.

10. The latest study has found that raisins and grapes can lead to kidney failure in pets. Small dogs can also choke on grapes so it is best to just make sure that your pets eat a well-balanced diet that is formulated for their life stage.

Copyright 2003 by NBC4.tv. All rights reserved."
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Image

User avatar
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 6320
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Postby Judy Fox » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:30 pm

That is an interesting list Carolyn.
I don't give any of those items listed to Milly and Mabel - except a little milk after their dinner.
I am going to have to look into that one. :?
Trouble is, the little baggages wait for it so I only give them a drop - oh dear!! :roll:
Image
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)

User avatar
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Cape Town South Africa
Contact:

poisons and your dogs

Postby carolyn dewrance » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:34 am

Judy I am sure that a little milk will not harm your Chows, as I said mine love avocada pears, and I just cant stop them eating them, we have 5 large trees full on the farm, but I am beign carefull with Zena as she is pregnant and I would hate anything to happen to her puppies, but so far I have not had any problems, maybe they are not the same pares as they have in America.
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Image

User avatar
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 6320
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Postby Judy Fox » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:54 am

:) Carolyn, do you really think a little milk will not harm them? When Milly came to us at six weeks old, I gave her a little drink of milk after her dinner and when Mabel came to live with us when they were just six months old (they are litter sisters) naturally she was given some too.
Now, when they have eaten their dinner, they always ask for milk and will actually doof the fridge door and wait - they know exactly what they want so I really do not know how I would break the habit now - they would think they had done something wrong or whatever.
WE don't give them a lot but they do love a little.
Image
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)

Guest

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:10 pm

Judy,
I have been giving Dakota a small bowl of skim milk every morning since she was a puppy with no ill effects. I have even asked my vet about this before & if it was ok. She said that so long as she seems to be tolerating it ok (no upset tummy) then its fine.

I think if I stopped giving Dakota her milk in the morning, she would never forgive me! :lol:

Roxana

User avatar
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 6320
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Postby Judy Fox » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:18 pm

Thank you Roxana,
That is exactly how I feel - I use semi-skimmed milk and I don't give them a lot - but they do love it and don't get tummy upsets.
I would be afraid of denying them a little drink 'cos they expect it and you know how a Chow girl is when she expects something! :roll: I would hate to hurt the tender feelings.

Love to Dakota!xxxxxxx
Image
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)

User avatar
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 8386
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:29 am
Location: Los Angeles,, CA

To Judy, re: Milk

Postby Jeff&Peks » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:45 pm

I wouldn't worry to much about the milk if you read Carolyns post under grooming she gives her Chows milk and a raw egg, when I ask how much milk she said a cup of milk and a raw egg twice aweek plus Pekoes Vet says a little milk is ok.
One of my wife's nephews left a full bowl of milk and Cherrios on the floor a couple of weeks ago and Pekoe eat the whole bowl, I won't go into the 3 day rage I went into for leaving food laying around but I doubt it will happen again. The way I found out was when I got home I happen to notice 3 spots where Pekoe had vomited Cherrios in the backyard you can imagine my joy at finding that.


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests