Off topic - Psycho kitty wants to steal my man! Please Help!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Off topic - Psycho kitty wants to steal my man! Please Help!

Post by Guest »

Cinder can be the sweetest cat in the entire world, all day long, just a total doll. Then my husband will get home and she wants nothing to do with me, which is fine. But then when we are in bed, I am not allowed to get near him. She will come and lay next to him, and if I try to touch his arm, she will turn into psycho-**** kitty. I am dead serious, she will start growling, and if I do not let up, she will spit at me. We usually put her on the floor but she jumps right back up there threatening me. He can pet her and she will rub up against him, if I try, I will more then likely get bit or scratched. Usually after about half an hour of getting her off the bed, she will stop but if we start "getting intimate" at all. She comes FLYING up on the bed trying to attack me.
If he gets up and goes into the other room, Cinder is a total sweety again, but when he comes back in, she hates me again.
We have to let her sleep in our room because she hates the other cats and will attack Asha. Asha and Tiocy won't go in our room because that has become Cinders space.
It is funny because she changes so quickly but I am getting scared she is going to kill me in my sleep if I roll over and put my arm on MY husband.
She is like a jealous girlfriend from hell!!
I seriousely think she thinks that I am going to steal HER man........!
I don't know what to do with her, as long as we are in bed and I do not touch my husband at all, she is fine, although she watches me pretty intently.

Any ideas on what to about my psycho cat?

Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Lock her in the bathroom. Our male cat used to attack my husband -- even worse then Cinder. Erik would wake up and find Dash sitting on his chest, hissing at him. Dash actually bit him on the eyebrow one night! (He went airborn that night :shock: -- couldn't really blame Erik :roll: ) We just locked him in the bathroom every night for a year. His litter box and food were in there. Eventually, he learned that he needed to be nice.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

I would do as Rogansmommy said.
Lock the cat in a room.
I would be pissed of at the cat.. lol. But thats just me. :)
Joe & Robin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Joe & Robin »

I can't offer any advise. But I sure am glad this has never happened to us :) . This sounds like the kind of things nightmares are made of :shock: .

Good luck to you!

Post by Guest »

This cat has had some severe neglect and trauma in the past due to her old owners, at some point almost 4 years ago she was hurt(probably kicked) in the mouth, it broke her jaw severely, she never saw a vet. Her owners had three cats that were all outdoor cats in the middle of a big city, they lived on a very busy street. One cat was killed by a car, another by stray dogs, It took us a VERY long time to convince her owners to let us have her. Their reason for not just giving her to me?, "she is the family pet", yeah right. I finally convinced them and brought her home. She has been to the vet 4 times, twice for dental surgery to remove teeth. (Damage from the broken jaw, her mouth healed crooked and her teeth were protruding up into the roof of her mouth) She has gotten WAY better since we got her. When we first brought her home, she would attack anyone for no reason. She hated being touched. Her mouth hurt her and she was not used to people.
She bonded very quickly to my husband and it was not too long before everyone was able to get along. We have come such a long way in just a few months(we have only had her for about 6-7 months) She is around 11-12 years old. This and her issue with Asha(my other cat) is the only problems we are having with her.
Like I said, as long as I am not touching him at all in bed(she doesn't act like this anywhere else)then she is perfectly content and will even purr and rub up against me.
As far as the howling in the crate, I am not worried about me or my husband but I have two little girls that need sleep. I can try the bathroom thing, I will have to find a way to lock it shut but that just doesn't seem to be much of an answer to stopping this.
Cinder has not been real active lately.(other then this) My vet said that because of her age no one knows when her last days will be. I want her to be as comfortable as possible. How do I do that and still be able to kiss my husband goodnight?

Her catster page........(shows a picture of her mouth before we had some of her teeth removed)

http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?i=215285
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

That's a dirty shame that she has had to go through what she has. I have 2 cats, one is 4 years old, the other just over a year. The 4 year old is female and we have had her since she was about 5 weeks old... not even weaned yet. I really babied Sadie and since that time on, she thinks I am her momma. She had 2 litters of kittens before I got her spayed and with both litters, she refused to have them unless I sat right there with her. In fact, the second litter (which turned out to be one lone kitten LOL) I had to spread an old blanket out on my bed and let her lay up against me under my arm before she would deliver that kitten. <shaking head> My last male friend... Sadie did everything she could to keep him away from me. We finally had to shut the door to whatever room we were in, to keep Sadie from trying to get between us. She just does not share momma well. LOL When I got Koda... Sadie was pretty upset with me for a week or so. Now she's dealing with it and is seeming to accept the fact that there is a new baby in the house and he is not going anywhere. LOL The othercat is a male, he likes everyone and could care less who gets near me... Lucky figures if Koda or Sam are messing with me, they are leaving him alone. LOL I would say just shut your bedroom door and let your cat sleep somewhere else.
Nancy and Tai

kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I think it's great that you rescued this cat but get her out of the bedroom. We see posts about people being worried over Chows nipping or possibly biting. A cat with claws can do some serious damage. You're in bed - what is the most exposed part of you? Your face. What time is it? Cats are nocturnal...Her attitude, you're asleep, she's awake...this is not a good combination. You might consider a cage within your bedroom. I have many cats (yes, over a dozen) and a couple of them have a large cage that they sleep in at night. They are out during the day. It took about a week of adjustment but they have adapted.
Good luck!
Karen
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

We are living parallel lives with out pets! Dash was a rescue as well -- we adopted him when we 'got serious'. We could never get the full story from the Animal Shelter, but we are convinced that he was abused and neglected. :evil: (Things like not being able to regulate his food like a normal cat -- LOTS of work on this over the years have gotten him to a happy place, but we ALWAYS have to leave food in his bowl.) The irony in our lives was that he originally lived with Erik for 6 months before we moved in to our house. While it was just the two of them, he was fine, but he regressed so quickly when I moved in and attached to me that we think he was abused by the husband. (We know the husband brought him to the pound...) He's still got issues with men outside of Erik -- he's been known to walk up to people and bite them without warning. :shock: At least our family is very understanding -- after 8 years they really don't have a choice. He's 10 now.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

We got our cat from the shelter when he was a kitten. I think he was about 4 or 5 months old. We don't know his story but he is one odd cat. He has always been very dominant over my daughter and me. Sometimes out of nowhere he will walk up and bite us and then he stands there and glares like he is reprimanding us. He will submit to my husband most of the time but every now and then he challenges him. We had had our kitty about 2 months when one morning our sweet little kitty climbed up onto my sleeping husband and peed all over him. It was horrible. I could never get the bedding clean enough so we had to toss it and buy new. We figured out that he wanted his litter changed more often then what we were doing. This was his way of letting us know. The sweet kitty also attacked me once while I was sleeping. I was rolling over in the middle of the night and he jumped up out of nowhere and grabbed me with his claws. Well when he went back down his foot got caught between the mattress and the bedframe and I have never heard a cat scream like he did. Of course it was dark and we were sleeping so we had no idea what was going on. The more I leaned over to try to turn the light on to see what was going on, the more his leg was getting squished so his claws were all out and he was trying to grab whatever he could. He ended up shredding the sheets and the mattress. My husband finally got around and turned the light on and once I leaned the other way he was free. It was horrible. The poor cat hid for the whole next day. He was not physically hurt but really shaken up as were we. There was a good thing that came out of the whole thing though.......He is scared to death of my bed now and he doesn't mess with us when we sleep. I wish I ccould say the same for poor Boogie. The other night Boogie (our Chow) was sleeping so peacefully and the cat walked up to him and put his claws out and hit Boogie right in the face and then glared at him as he walked away. (Don't worry though Boogie sat on him later.) :D

That is really nice of you to help out the poor cat. We are not able to keep our cat confined. He claws at the carpet in front of any closed doors. We also put him in the garage once because he wouldn't stop clawing the carpet and he kept throwing himself at the door and howling. I think the whole neighborhood woke up thinking we were holding someone prisoner in our garage. What happens if your husband tells her to stop? Maybe if he ignores her or if he keeps removing her from the bedroom she will lose interest in him. Just a thought. Good Luck!
dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

Cats and chows what a mix. We have had our Cat for 3 years, first chow Holly 1 3/4 and Max (big boy) 1 year. Fliss the cat was a stray and as such has 'her space' but will join us in bed ervynow and then for a cuddle. Holly used to run around after her but has calmed down no. Max though, FLiss hits him on the nose and WHOOSH. Big Pad squashes the cat. What both dogs so though is approach and then slowly turn 180 Deg and park their Asses on her if she bites them. Get through that Fur! I had big worries but in general they are all fine. Both of my chows have a very high prey drive though and if Fliss runs they run faster. I actually think Max may have been responsible for FLiss' recent broken tail (and subsequent Bobcatted ness) but they all sit in the same room still. On another note, due to my Chows prey thingy, I cant let them off lead. Ive tried treats but tneither will come back on the lead for food, they simply wont eat it. And ive tried baconm sausage, rib of beef etc it just has no effect. Complete ignorance. Anyway cats on beds if you can avoid it do so, but for us Fliss is never affectionate so this is the only time we get to actually stroke her and fuss her (although it does nothing for your relationship!)
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

I have 6 cats and they all sleep inside, Chippie my oldest now 14 and dearest sleeps in my bed with me and the others in the lounge, because Chippie thinks my bed is his, Colin my one cat fights with Nipper any chance he can get and Felix is just a big love, then there are the girls Maggie Lou and Nellie, All cats have their pecking order, and get on well with most of my Chows, Alex and Smurf dont like them but then they are chows, but the rest well they are tolerated, as for any suggestions, Put your husband in the bathroom with the cat on a mattress in the bath and get a good nights sleep for a change
Good luck
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

loverman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by loverman »

How about if the kitty sleeps in your bed except when you want some romance and then is moved to the bathroom for enough time. That way the kitty will still feel loved, but you can have some alone time. I wonder how the kitty would react if your husband initiated the contact with you; perhaps then it would be ok?

Speaking of cats and chows, my chow is trying to play with our cats by tapping them as they swing wildly at her with their claws. She doesn't have the flexibility to swing so she does a stiff tap instead.