I have a pug and am considering rescuing an abandoned chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kandie
Rank 0
Rank 0

I have a pug and am considering rescuing an abandoned chow

Post by Kandie »

After 5 days of trying, I have just rescued an abandoned chow in Chicago. She is at a shelter and is being screened for health/behavior. She was likely a pet and walks well on a leash and seems to be crate trained but she is so matted and dirty that she has probably been on her own in the cold for some time. The shelter is wonderful and I have been visiting to help her learn that she can trust humans again. She is very sweet and calm, though she still seems a bit scared which is understandable for what she's been through. I just love this dog and would love to bring her home with me once we determine she is healthy and we get her spayed and groomed. My only concern is that I have a lovable and sweet but somewhat spoiled pug. She is good with other dogs, but I really want to make sure the chow would be happy (and not aggresive) with another little dog. I'm not sure this chow is even full chow and I have a photo is someone would be willing to let me know if, in fact, she is a pure chow or a mix.
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

Yeah I can help you with that.
Kandie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kandie »

http://home.comcast.net/~k.berridge/scindy.jpg

Here's a photo of her, I'm not sure how to post it to the page like you have. But you should be able to see it at the link.

I don't know much about chows but remember years ago hearing that they could be aggressive.

Any thoughts you have would be helpful.

Thanks!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Hello,
Does she have a black/purple tongue? Doesn't need to be completely one color - spotted with black perhaps?
Is the tail curled up over the back? Do she look like my Mr. N? (see my avatar).
As for being agressive - Chows are protective - not agressive. They are loyal and will readily assume their duty to protect you and the family. I don't know if a pug and a Chow would be a problem -it's more of an issue when the genders are the same.
I hope this works out for you and the rescue! You are so good to do this.

Karen
Kandie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kandie »

Thank you Karen. Yes, her toungue is completely black and she looks a lot like Mr. N! If you go to the link on my last message you can see her photo. My pug is female so yes, they would be the same gender. I'm going to keep visiting her at the shelter and will bring my dog once the chow is more comfortable and feels safe. I really hope it works out. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I just think you are so wonderful for wanting to rescuse this sweet girl. If she has a purple or partially purple tongue, then I would say she is at least part chow. But I think I did read somewhere (I think it was the AKC web site) that there are other breeds of dogs that can have purple or partially purple tongues.... too much pigment in the tongue. In fact they had a picture of a show golden retriever with purple spots on his tongue. But by the picture of your baby, it looks like she may be at least a chow mix. As far as the 2 getting along go... I agree, it's the gender, not necessarily the breed. 2 males just have a lot of problems because of the dominance thing. Good luck to you!!!!
Nancy and Tai

Post by Guest »

Any breed can have spots on their tongue but chows and shar peis are the only ones that have a completely black/blue/purple tongue.
I think that girl is adorable!!
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

Hello,
From the picture she appears to be a Chow mix, possibly what the dog designers are now calling a Chow-den, Chow Chow and golden retriever mix. She is beautiful and looks a lot like our Max-A-Million.

About 6 weeks ago, I finally rescued a black chow that had been abandoned and running free in a Chicago park. Neighborhood people told me that this Chow had been traveling through the area for about a year. She evaded capture from everyone, including Chicago's animal control, she was way to smart and afraid to be caught. Finally, while she was eating from an overturned garbage can, I slipped behind her and grabbed one of her hind legs and held on while she struggled to get away. She didn't try to bite, but she did struggle. Goodness, she was so strong! After getting a rope around her neck (with the help of some wonderful passerbys) she calmed down, but was shaking with fear. She kept ducking her head, expecting to be hit. She was matted and filthy, but looked to be healthy. The first thing my husband and I did after her rescue was to take her, Max-A-Million and Mahayana (our other Chows) for a walk together. After the walk, we went home and began grooming her. This took 10 hours. Yes, her fur was in bad shape. After a good bath and a visit to a vet to get vaccinated and a health evaluation, we made the decision that her name was to be Mei-Mei, and she was now ours.

The path has not been easy. She loves Max and Mahayana, and she is finally coming to the realization that humans can be nice to her. We still have a lot of work to do together.

If you decide to re-home her, have patience with her. Use this site as an information resource as the knowledge of the Chow owners here will be a great help. It was to us.

Good Luck to you and
Peace and Blessings
Elaina, Max-A-Million, Mahayana, and Mei-Mei
Kandie
Rank 0
Rank 0

thank you all!

Post by Kandie »

Wow, I thought pug people were great -- thanks for the feedback and support, everyone!

Elaina -- your story is just about like mine. I found Scindy (that's what we're calling her) wandering the south field of the Science and Industry Museum in Hyde Park (hence the name 'Scindy'). I tried for 4 days -- every morning and every evening to coax her into my car. I called animal control several times a day but didn't get much response. After we caught her, someone did call me and tell me they'd been trying to catch her for 2 weeks but she was just too much smarter than the humans! I also called PAWS to help, but they were not only not helpful, but downright rude. They just made a big deal about driving down to New Orleans in October to pick up all these homeless dogs, yet couldn't find someone to help me with this abandoned dog right in their own back yard. The Animal Welfare League and an absolute angel by the name of Diane gave me the number of the trapper who had her in the cage in minutes.

I loved your story about grabbing your dog by the back leg -- I can appreciate how hard that must have been.

Scindy is so matted and dirty, I'm afraid she'll need a pretty good sheering. But I'm going to check with a few groomers to see who would be willing to come down to the shelter to get her cleaned up.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again![/i]
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I would say your new girl is probably pure chow- she has a 'clean' face, meaning not alot of heavy folds around her face. If you look at pictures of Kingalls Mr N, Shanes chows, or my Lily, you'll notice the difference from their faces compred to Judy Fox's sweet girls, or Mandy Barrett's pair. They have a much furrier look around the face. Usually if you get a chow mix, their legs will be longer and finer boned.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

rescue chow

Post by Brisco »

I would be inclined to say that she is pure or at least mostly Chow. She obviously has a very poor coat and not such a squared muzzle as some but if her coat was full, I see Chow.
I've rescued a couple of dogs in the past and found that they seem to have a sort of gratefullness. I know it seems strange, but I truly believe that they know what you've done for them and it will show in her behavior I bet.
Even if she's a mix she is certainly beautiful and lucky dog to have someone rescue her. Good luck with her and, good on ya!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

She certainly is gorgeous and as has been said, lucky to be rescued.

I am sure that she will get on with the pug - we have four pugs many years ago, they were little characters and provided you point out that they both have a link with China, they will understand! :lol: They will certainly understand each others grunts and snores. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)