Doggie treats

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jojasp5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Doggie treats

Post by jojasp5 »

I'm having trouble getting my chow interested in doggie treats. :( I've tried bisquits, and soft meat chews, but she just turns her nose up at them. :( I would greatly appreciate any input because I'm beginning her on clicker training and I need a good response from her regarding the treats.
jojasp5
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

The only treats I have ever been able to give Ziyear or Ivana is Canine Carry-outs.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Aslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aslan »

Try 100% Freeze Dried Liver Treats by Gimborn. Aslan :x it. You can find it in PetSmart.
Aslanchow
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Hi:
We have a very fussy chow. The only treat he will eat is chickeny jerkey treats. They are normally expensive but I get them in a large quantity at Costco. These chows are something! I had a lab that would eat anything, including dirt. Good luck...
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

You can go commercial and help the dog food industry or you can make your own. Does it have to be soft or can it be dry? Anyways, here are some choices

1. Natural Balance Dog Food: comes in sausage shaped plastic wrapper. You can cut it up into small pieces and use. Pro: soft & plyable
2. Baa-Baa-Q Dried Lamb Lungs: My Leo's favourate treat. Cracked it into small pieces.
3. Charlee Bear Dog Treats: Little buiscuit type things. Another of Leo's favourates. Pro: only 3 calories per treat!, as it says on the package.

OR

a. Chicken Breast/Leg Meat: Plain Boiled or Roasted. Shred/Cut into small pieces. Pro: You know exactly what it is. You can even go organic.
b. Cheese - String/Stick: Pro: soft & plyable Con: Salty
c. Baby Food: Great for come/leave it exercises. Con: Messy

I have heard a trainer suggest oven roasted canned dog food. Out of the can on to a parchment paper. I couldn't face the possible smell from the oven, so I chickened out on that one :roll:
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Along with what everyone has suggested, there is a "treat review" thread in the Nutrition, Food and Diet Discussion section. The chows do their own reviewing, if you are interested: http://chowchow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1377
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Millie will jump through hoops of fire for 'salmon sushi rolls' for dogs.... I get them from my local pet store. They stink and are quite hard but are very very good for her (just dehydrated salmon) & great for attentional training in busy areas :wink: Definate 4 paws up from Millie
Thank you Elodie!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Maxwell will only eat the jerky treats by solid gold, Yoshi is less picky

David
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

The suggestions you've gotten are the best because they're also healthy, in addition to what the others have said we also sometimes give hot dog pieces (obviously less healthy! :D ). Good luck and have fun!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Mine is picky as well. we started with string cheese. Then he got to where he wouldn't eat that much. So I turned to meat. Left over chicken, steak, whatever I could find. He worked harder for the meat.
SweetPea Rocks!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I bought a 7-rack dehydrator and I love it!!!

I purchase sliced calf liver from the grocery store, cut it into strips and dry it on the trays. Great!!!!

You can also dehydrate using your oven set at 250*, but it is very messy.

Anyway, whatever you try, you may want to read the package and make sure it is not from China. It appears that Chinese imported food is a bit risky these days.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

I would suggest trying cheese, also. You can cube it up in tiny pieces for training purposes. My girl, Sophie, also likes the freezed dried liver. You can also cut that up smaller for training.
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Anyway, whatever you try, you may want to read the package and make sure it is not from China. It appears that Chinese imported food is a bit risky these days.
Thats exactly what I do now. I also avoid splintery snacks like pig ears.

Jasmine started out eating any bagged treats and I used them for training by cutting them into smaller pieces. Then it was like overnight - she stopped eating anything I brought home! So, I started treating with cheese and hot dogs (then her vet says, no hot dogs!). So, now I get the doggy treats from the bins at PetCo.
~ Sally
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

I went to the pet supply to get Poe some chewy things...I can't believe the things a dog thinks are good. I bought him a pig snout, a hoof, and a bull's....private part. So far, he like the bull thing the best.

I am very busy trying NOT to throw up, watching him gnaw on it.... @-) @-)

Orso LOVES the pig ears. My dad can't keep them in the house. He just goes crazy for them and will do anything to get one. He will sit in the kitchen and stare at the bin forever until my dad relents.
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

zingara_princepessa wrote:I went to the pet supply to get Poe some chewy things...I can't believe the things a dog thinks are good. I bought him a pig snout, a hoof, and a bull's....private part. So far, he like the bull thing the best.

I am very busy trying NOT to throw up, watching him gnaw on it.... @-) @-)

Orso LOVES the pig ears. My dad can't keep them in the house. He just goes crazy for them and will do anything to get one. He will sit in the kitchen and stare at the bin forever until my dad relents.

Bull cahonies are called Rocky Mountain Oysters and are considered a delicasey. 'em good eats!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

And you can get the 24" long bully sticks, really long john silvers them bulls have! :oops:

Jazzy loves to chew on them, but they really smell nasty.

She loves pig ears, but she's either chewing them too fast or they are splintering because when she has one she chokes.
~ Sally
daryl168yang
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by daryl168yang »

Bama, I doubt we can hide from the ugly fact that everything in the world is almost MADE IN CHINA now. Just that the label didn't write it as such.

Branded shoes like Nike and Addidas are from the US, but aren't they made in china.
"Lion" Richie Rich "ET"
daryl168yang
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by daryl168yang »

Bama, I doubt we can hide from the ugly fact that everything in the world is almost MADE IN CHINA now. Just that the label didn't write it as such.

Branded shoes like Nike and Addidas are from the US, but aren't they made in china.
"Lion" Richie Rich "ET"