HELP

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

HELP

Post by threedogjeep »

Caity just ate a dead mouse from the neighbor's yard. I am afraid it might have been poisoned!! I called the clinic and they said just to watch for vomiting and diahrea....She weights 60 lbs. Do you think she will be okay???
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that. i don't really know, just wanted to say :cry:
Thank you Elodie!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Don't mean to scare you, but if it was poisoned it could kill her. I have seen dogs die like that before. I would call the vet back and see if they can do something, and make sure you tell them it was poisoned if you think it was.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

I would go ask them if they have poison set out and find out exactly what it is, just have your ducks in a row in case it was poisoned.
Sam

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Sorry to hear about this. Is Caity acting weird? I found this link...looks like some good info.
http://www.doctordog.com/dogbook/dogpoison.html

Good luck!!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I don't know what to tell you. I hope she is ok.

David
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

How scary. I hope she is okay.

Last year we had rats all over our town and they would run around the yard. I contacted several vets and the posion control about using posion and they said that if the dogs or cats ate the poison directly then, yes, it would hurt them but if they just got a hold of a rat that had eaten some that there wasn't enough poison in the rat to do the animals any major harm. I still worried about it though. A good thing though is that this was a mouse so that means it was smaller so it would have had even less poison in it's system.

Keep a close eye on her. Also, did the vet tell you what to do in case she does start acting differently?
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Thanks everyone. The emergency vet I called said that at 60 pounds it was unlikely that it would cause major problems. She just said to watch her and bring her in immediately if she was acting strange or had bad vomiting, etc. That was about..oh...hour and a half ago. I am going to keep an eye on her for sure. It promises to be a long night and it is critical that I get into work by 6:30 a.m. Please send strength and positive thougths out for her! She is the 15 yo.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Aslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aslan »

Watch her very closely. If she act weird, you will need to rush her to the emergency vet. Do you have an emergency vet info on hand. I don't want to scare you, I just want to help you be prepare for anything. Good Luck!
Aslanchow
Aslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aslan »

[-o| [-o| [-o| O:) O:) O:) all for your baby. Aslan sent hugs and positive thoughts.

Aslan mum
Anita
Aslanchow
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

OMG, I'm sending her positive thoughts for her, please keep us updated when you can. Hugs to you and the fur-kids.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

What To Do If Your Dog Ingests Poison Or Poisonous Plants

Dogs will eat pretty much anything and many things your dog may eat could be poisonous to your dog. If you suspect your dog has eaten something that may be poison to your dog or even something uncooked like chicken you may want to induce vomiting to ensure that the poison is out of your dogs system. You should also consult your vet to ensure your dog receives proper care if your dog ingests poison. Many common foods that are find for humans can be poison to your dog. Onions and chocolate are an example of foods that may be poisonous to yor dog.

To induce vomiting and prevent poison absorption – If your dog has ingested something that you know needs to come out, you can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide and water. The use of a turkey baster will be your easiest method to administer. Give 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight of a 3% peroxide solution with equal amounts of water, inject down the dogs throat. This should be done outside as the dog will foam at the mouth and vomit. If needed, this can be repeated every 15-20 minutes, up to three times or until the dog vomits.

If your pet has ingested a toxin or poison, contact your local vet, emergency vet or Pet Poison Control for treatment and dosages.

DO NOT induce vomiting if the dog has already vomited, is unconscious, having trouble breathing is in convulsions or has ingested a sharp object that could cut the esophagus or stomach.

Do not induce vomiting if the dog has ingested an acid product, cleaning solution, chemical or petroleum product, or product that says not to induce vomiting. Contact your local vet, emergency vet or the 24 hr emergency Pet Poison Control 1-888-426-4435.

Aspca Animal Poison Control Center Hotline

As the premier animal poison control center in North America, the APCC is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, make the call that can make all the difference: (888) 426-4435. A $55 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I am soo sorry to hear this........I know you must be scared. :cry: [-o|
I'm saying prayers and sending positive thoughts from me and Kearra.
Maybe call the posion control # that Jeff sent??? It may not have been poisioned, could have just died out there, at least I hope so. Keep us posted and let us know how she is doing......Hugs to you both
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I know you are worried. I'm so sorry.
If you consider inducing vomiting...
Please double check the hydrogen peroxide label to make sure it is no more than 3%.
Keep us posted.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Oh no, poor puppy. I do know that with anything that ingest poisin, before it kills the animal (the mouse, not your dog) the body does start to metabolized the poision which will decrease the strength (of course this is what I read and have never done much research...not much of a science person). I think this is why they say that as long as they are eating an animal that has already ingested the poision they should be okay.

I hope everything is okay.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

it has now been about 3 hours.
God bless you all for your prayers and good energy. She is fine right now...snoring on the couch next to me just like usual at this time of night. She is the last reminder of my first husband who died after 19 years of marriage. She is going to break my heart someday...just please God don't let it be today.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Sounds like she should be fine if there are no signs of a problem at this point. I would try and get her to go use the potty in another three or four hours, and again in the morning. Good luck!
Sam

threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

thanks Sam for caring and for sharing your knowlegde!! This was scary!! Is scary!!
Thanks to all.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
chris

Post by chris »

[-o|
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

I'm praying she would be OK [-o| Chances are she is large enough even if the rat was poisoned. Keep close to her and watch her like a hawk. My heart is with you tonight.

LEO's mum
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Thanks Chris and LEo's mum...it's going to be a long one.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I'm so, so glad she seems to be okay. I hope you both can get some rest tonight. I'll be thinking about you. [-o|
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

3dogjeep, I will be thinking of your chow. If the dog swallowed the mouse whole, wouldn't it just pass through the gut and that's it?
I hope it will turn out o.k.
Karin
Last edited by sit_by_the_beach on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

HemiCuda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HemiCuda »

[-o| , my thoughts and prayers are with you, hope everything will be okay through the night, update as soon as you know

"If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain" - Dolly Parton
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

i will say a prayer that all is well. hugs from us.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image