How big will he be??

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

How big will he be??

Post by Guest »

Chi-Ching is just over 14 weeks now and he weighed 15 pounds a week ago. How much do you think he will top out at??
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

i heard it depends on parents... I kept the Black chow from my litter, he turns 9 weeks old today and weighs in lil over 15 lbs... and his paws are as big as my palms. i am afraid he is going to outgrow his father who wieghed in at 60lbs.
So, i guess we both will have to wait and see... :roll:
and he is WAY too active so he is not overwieght... just a big fluffy black chowling.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Now Arnis, he is a bonny wee laddy - but you know, Carolyn and I were argueing about the black chowling and I rather thought I had won and was getting him. :?

Still, if he is staying with you, I concede! :lol:

Anyway, purple kisses to him from Milly and Mabel!
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Rogan weighed 13 lbs at 8 weeks. When he FINALLY stopped growing he was 80 lbs. :shock: His father weighed 60 lbs. but was tall. His mother weighed 58 lbs. but she was barrel built. Rogue got the long legs and the barrel! :roll:
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart

Post by Guest »

Well, then it sounds like he may be on the smaller side? I wish I knew! lol The breeder said that Snow, the dad, weighed 60 pounds and the mom(with the pups around 8 weeks old) weighed in at around 50 pounds.

Judging from what some have said on here, it seems that he may be a smaller chow(not that I am complaining) I am on the small side and like them a bit smaller but I would love him the same no matter what! LOL
chow0
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow0 »

mine grew like this

2 months=12lbs
3 months=20lbs
4 months=29lbs
5 months=38lbs
6 months=46lbs
now at 6 1/2 months i think he's 50lbs

i've read 1 things that says times the 3 month weight by 3, and another that says they're 75% grown by 6 months.
Joe & Robin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Joe & Robin »

Our Bear's dad Ming was 80 lbs but her mom was only 40. Bear and Mai Tai (both females) are around 40 lbs. I think the boys seem to double the girls in weight - but I'm not saying that's the rule. Just seems to be common.
Joe, Robin & Mai Tai

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

What is lbs?

But is it only my Chow that is very, very small?
He is almost 10 months now, and only weighs 9 pounds.
And he is a boy, so I think it's weird, his sister I think is twice his size.
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

I had my little Coco at the vet today and he is about 12 weeks and weighs just over 24 pounds. I think he is going to be a very big chow boy when he grows up.
:lol:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I've got the small end size wise- Lily was 7 pounds at 3 mos
13 pounds at 4 mos
22 pounds at 5 mos
I'm also feeding her less than most everyone here...I did increase her intake, but I find leftovers in the morning when I go to feed her... I was curious if Chingy's ravenous appitite left with his tape worm? I don't envy you that experience!
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Auddymay wrote:I've got the small end size wise- Lily was 7 pounds at 3 mos
13 pounds at 4 mos
22 pounds at 5 mos
I'm also feeding her less than most everyone here...I did increase her intake, but I find leftovers in the morning when I go to feed her... I was curious if Chingy's ravenous appitite left with his tape worm? I don't envy you that experience!
No one eats less than Diego.
That dog almost doesn't eat anything, I don't understand why.
I'm trying to get him to gain some weight.
That skinny bastard. lol.
chow0
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow0 »

taz you said your boy was 20 kg, i checked it on google (kg to pounds) and it came up 44 pounds.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

chow0 wrote:taz you said your boy was 20 kg, i checked it on google (kg to pounds) and it came up 44 pounds.
Ok. I have no idea about Pounds. lol.
So your probably right. He is not 20 kg yet, but close.
Isn't 17-20 kg on a boy Chow who is 10 months a bit little?
chow0
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow0 »

ya but who cares he's a handsome devil 8)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I've read the AKC Standard; it describes the Chow Chow as a medium size dog, but does not assign a specific weight (I've also read 45-70 pounds at other sites). They do specify 17-20 inches tall, but proportion are more important where juding the standard is concerned. I went to the Animal shelter once and was browsing large males when a red male chow jumped up on his cage to greet me. Standing on his hind legs, we were eye to eye, and I am 5'9" tall! It looked Beautiful, and I would have tried adopting had I a place at the time where I could put him. I was shocked by his size.
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

in the states the Adreviation for pounds is .lbs, the measurement for MASS.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Chow sizes

Post by Victory »

Male chows from what I've read can be anywhere from 45lbs to 80, with the average being between 60-70, of the four I've had; Ming Toy weighed 62, Li Chi about 65, Ming 63 and Darkwind stays around 70, (when I got him at age two he weighed 57lbs he gained 13lbs in muscle during the next year).

The females are smaller 35 to 60 lbs, (although at 60lbs that would be a very big girl), most animals take after the mother in size more than the father really, (the bigger the mom, the bigger the baby can be) it also depends on how many were in the litter. His mom sounds like she was a fair size, his dad sort of average, so he will most likely be about 60 or so pounds. Though he won't make his full weight until he's three, the bigger breeds, (chows do qualify for this in this respect) the males have a fill out year where they can muscle and their bones gain strength/density and therefore weight. [This is an important thing and one of the reasons a lot of vets don't like spaying/neutering before *Censored Word* maturity which triggers this bone growth.]

However your Chingy is such a gorgeous little guy he'll grow into a beauty no matter what size he is.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!