Still having problems with Chingers

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Still having problems with Chingers

Post by Guest »

I am really confused on what to do. Chi-Ching is growling at anyone new. Even if they offer him treats, he will take it and then start growling. I also have a problem, one of the places I was taking him to to help socialize told me that since he growled at a customer, I am not allowed to bring him back in there. I do not have alot of places that I can take him, especially now that the weather is getting worse. I know it is not good for him to stay in the house but I have been kicke out of one place and warned not to have him close to other customer in another store.....so how else do I socialize him? My brother in law has been over maybe 4-5 times this week and he stays for a few hours but Chingy still growls at him when he first comes in. And he has not been able to pet him on his own yet. If I pick Chingy up, then people can pet him.
I know I am probably being paranoid but I really wish he was a little more people friendly. He was growling like crazy at the vets.

So much has changed with him since that "evaluator" got near him, how do I get him over this fear of everyone. He was not this bad before that evaluation. I just want him to be happy like he was before.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Just hang in there until he is relieved of his little nuts! :)

Then just stay calm, take a deep breath and carry on taking him out and start from the beginning again - holding him etc. for people to stroke and helping him become more trusting.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Could there be something wrong in his head??
My sister had an Tibetan Spaniel a while ago, that one was pretty agressive, and we tried everything. But found out later that his parents was pretty messed up in their heads, and that he could be a result of inbreeding.
And agressive behavier are heritable.

Stupid Evaluator. :evil:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Don't despair. As I've posted before, Lily growls and huffs first and is friendly only when she feels safe. It takes her a lot less time now to get calmed back down than it did a month ago. She reacts more to other dogs than to people, and it has been a little embarrassing how vocal she can be. At thanks giving dinner she growled at my father and walked up to my mother wagging her tail, go figure. Later, my Dad went into the living room and Lily stayed under the table, where she spent the whole meal. As we sat chatting at the table, my father cleared his throat to comment from the living room and Lily got up and started barking/growling as if he had just arrived out of nowhere! Then she layed back down, duty done. She still barks and growls at my husband if he comes out of the bedroom through the bathroom, as if he's surprising her. She never ever vocalizes at fast food drive through windows! She loves riding to pick up our saturday night pizza, and she gets to see the folks at Wendy's Hamburger, Arby's, and G&L Chili Dogs on occassion! Oddly, her favorite is G&L's, I only stop there when we go to the vet's because it's 3 businesses down the road. They always give dog treats and the lady gushes over my 'honeybear'.The smell of food combined with the safety of the car are the things that make it successful for Lily. Try and see if it works for Chi Ching. The interaction is completely unthreatening. Remember, it's probably fear, not aggression that is motivating Chingy to growl. He feels safe when you hold him, that's why he's allowing the petting, though he'd rather be left alone, he isn't threatened when you are holding him. Last, Lily was at the vet about 2 weeks ago, and though she was very friendly with the people, she heard another dog outside the exam room we were waiting in and went stupid with growling and barking. When we left the room a few minutes later, she immediately started sniffing and searching for the other dog she had heard. Just give Chingy time and relax. Remind yourself that he is acting like the chow he is, and when people want to mug on your honeybear, tell them straight out that he is abit people shy from a bad experience, and that he needs a bigger personal space...I hope this helps!
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Did you ever get him 'nip-tucked'? That should help immensely.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart

Post by Guest »

Thanks Auddy, I will see what we can do.
Yes, he did get fixed. He has actually been more growly since then, it has only been a few days though. Everyone has pretty much been leaving him alone and lettig him have his space.
Zhuyos mom

Re: Still having problems with Chingers

Post by Zhuyos mom »

ChowLover wrote:...Chi-Ching is growling at anyone new. Even if they offer him treats, he will take it and then start growling...

Try this, because it's what I do to all our chows and all the dogs I meet anywhere and everywhere... talk back to them. Have a conversation. Use the creative mind and respond back as if you are conversing with them. For instance, if Chingy growls after he takes the treat, then have the person (or you even) engage in a conversation like "well, you're welcome. I thought you'd like something tasty. Personally, I like chocolate chip cookies better." Sounds wacky, I know. But believe you me, something clicks and when I engage in crazy conversations, I become friends with the dogs and I can read/understand my chows to a tee. It doesn't hurt. So give it a try. I've found that my family's chows love being talked to and enjoy hearing our voices. Once I was at PetClub buying PB & Z their gourmet biscuits and this dog came up to me, I started talking to her about the biscuits, she planted her butt down and wouldn't move until her owners picked up a box for her. Now I don't think she understood my exact words, but the words "biscuit taste good" + the fact the biscuits smelled good might have triggered something.

Just be patient with Chingy. He's still young and learning the ropes in your home. If he starts getting agressive with Koda, then I would be more concerned. But more on that if it happens.

Post by Guest »

Thanks, I will try that too.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Lou is so right! :)

We talk to Milly and Mabel all the time about everything. They follow me round when I have told them I am going to do something. They like to know where I am so if I am, say going to make our bed, or whatever, I tell them.

They do love being talked to. Fred and I also talk about them! 8) For example, if we are going to take them for a walk we to talk to each other discussing it. One of us only has to mention "Shall I get Milly and Mabel's harness?" or "do you think the girls would like a walk" they are there lifting their paws to say please.

They also recognise so many words and this keeps their little brains working. If Fred asks me what they are going to have for their dinner and I tell him, Milly and Mabel recognise the words and If I say, fish, they rush into the kitchen and wait. :D

So, talking to him would get his little brain working and as Lou said, he is only young and has had a nasty experience with that damn woman.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)