Insurance

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chacha

Insurance

Post by Chacha »

Hello, I'm new. I will be getting a chowling in a month's time.
It's like having the first baby ever - tho I don't know from experience...
I am excited and worried sick all at once.
There are many things to worry about and one is insurance.
Is vet/medical insurance worth having?
Also could someone inform me of how to insure the dog itself and to insure against possible damage of dog harming someone(god forbid!)? Do you do this thru house contents insurance?
Are there any good insurance companies in SF area that is chow friendly?

Chacha
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

As for pet insurance that will cover a Vet visit, there are a few of them out there you can do a search, type Pet insurance. I Had VIP for a few years and I'm still trying to figure out why, I was never paid and always seem to have something that wasn't covered or I had deductibles even though I had the so called gold plan.

Your home owners insurance will cover a dog, but I would becareful saying your getting a Chow some company's won't cover you with a Chow and some company's will drop you if you have a Chow, its probably best to say you have a mix, Chow/lab or Chow what ever but not a pure Chow. Some of the others can help you with advice on home owners insurance.

I have done some insurance inspections on homes and one of the first things on the inspection form is, is there a Chow,Rott,Pit, a few others living on the property, if so take a picture and report it, Me personally refused to fill in that section and just wrote no dangerous breed on the property.
Chacha

Post by Chacha »

Thank you, Jeff&Peks!
I rent, so it would be renters/house contents insurance, I suppose.
I will make sure of saying chow mix, when asked.

I wonder if I should get the medical insurance before my first vet visit...

Things seems more overwhelming when faced for the first time.

I am going to ask my neighbours for the vets they use, tho no chow around.
And make sure I ring to ask the vets of their chow experience.

Just thinking of the new chowling makes me smile.
Oh, I am soo excited!

Chacha
tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tekendall »

I got pet insurance when I got my chow puppy. I got it thru http://www.petcareinsurance.com and its about 38 dollars a month. They cover genetic problems (hip dyplaysia and the eyelid thing), accidents and illnesses up to 3000 each. Deductible is 50 per incident. I think it's well worth it unless you have money set aside for emergencies. My sister had to pay 1600 dollars for knee surgery on her dog. Thankfully I have not had to use it yet, so I have no experience with the claims process. They will require an intial exam with a vet. So, get the insurance first then go to vet for checkup. As far as my home owners insurance..chows are excluded and they don't know I have one!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Not to put a damper on adopting a Chow puppy, they are cute and playful but remember that 10 pound puppy will be a 60 to 80 pound Chow in a year or so and most rental complexes won't allow pets over 35lbs and most Apts. and rental houses won't allow Chows, I hope you have given alot of thought to what you are getting into, you are making a commitment for the next 12+ years that this Chow will be with you no matter what. I only mention this because myself and a few others are constantly cross posting adds from other pet forums to the Chows in need section because someone is moving or the landlord won't allow them to have a Chow. I would check with the owners and make sure they are ok with Chows and give some thought to what happens if you decide to move. I don't know your circumstances but I would hate to see another Chow in the pound because someone has to move.
Chacha

Post by Chacha »

I went in to the site, looks good, thank you. Glad it's not too heavy on the wallet. I currently have no renters/house contents insurance, so maybe this is a good opportunity to get one. Not worried about damage to rented house or to us, just fearful of dog hurting someone/someone's dog/cat and get sued.. Just like auto insurance, to have it hoping never to use it.
Chacha

Post by Chacha »

Thank you, Jeff&Peks. Altho this is my first baby as adult, I grew up w/ chows. And cannot think of any other breed to have. Dogs w/ pink tongues look too vulgar to me! The trust that owns the houses allows 1 pet. Dog/Cat, etc. but specifically states no grazing animals! There are shepherds and labs around, so size shouldn't be a problem w/ landloard. Thanks again, tho for your valid concern.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Your last post made me really laugh! :lol:

You mentioned dogs with pink tongues, you thought, were vulgar.

When Milly and Mabel were younger and our daughter bought a Standard Schnauzer puppy, they were fascinated with his pink tongue. :) Schnauzers have big mouths and Hector was always running round laughing - a very happy boy and so his tongue was always lolled out. They would follow him around trying to see it. They got used to it in the end but when they first saw this little puppy with a pink longue, they looked as if to say "Uugh! Pink tongue!" :shock:

I am convinced dogs are not as colour blind as is claimed. :?
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Chacha

Post by Chacha »

Yes, I'm sure dogs can tell the difference, if not seeing the colours in the same way as we do!
One thing I wanted to add, I was not raised in the States. Thus the question on insurance. I add hastily as I fear of being told-off for waisting you folks' time. A bit scary living in a litigieous society. But in noway looking to move out soon, we love the outdoor life Bayarea provides!