Chow boys and Chow girls - the difference?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Chow boys and Chow girls - the difference?

Post by Judy Fox »

I just want to ask what you all think about the difference between the boys and the girls. :)
When we were researching the breed here on The Island before we brought Milly Ching home, we spoke to many breeders and they all told us the same thing.
The boy chows are very macho and masculine and the girl chows are very feminine and girly.
What do you all feel?
I have not really met a boy chow - only briefly when I met M & M's sire and when I met a boy chow over the other side of town.
It was Roxana's account of when Dakota would goad the RCMP's alsations by spending a penny outside their house that really tickled me pink and set me thinking.
:lol:
That struck me as being a really girly thing to do from a girl chow with attitude!
Just wondered what those of you who know boy and girl chows think. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I would be curious too. I don't consider the boys macho except when playing

David
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Well Butters is very dominant. So I guess he would be considered macho. But I have never really been around a female chow so I don't really know their behavior either. I have had 3 males, 2 macho, on a bit of a baby!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Dakota was definately NOT girly or feminine. Other than the "leg kicking" mentioned in another post she also enjoyed special errr...."relations" with my leg on occasion. :oops: This more often than not would happen when she was happy or excited and there was more than one occasion when she would come flying across the room and pretty much "tackle" me from behind and latch on to my leg. She wouldn't do the humping motion so much, just kinda hang on there for a bit. There were even times on our walks when she would actually lift her leg to pee like a boy! :shock: Although she did like to have her morning bowl of milk brought to her so she wouldn't have to get up, :roll: Princess...yes, feminine, definately NOT!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Oscar (Simon's dad) is VERY rough (ruff...hee hee) and tumble and just has that boy "look"... Lola (Simon's mommy) is VERY very dainty and precious... if she was a human she would most certainly carry monogrammed hankercheifs and expect to be lifted over puddles... well, okay, the puddle thing is accurate with her as a doggy too...

Simon is an interesting mix of the two... I think of him as a metro-*Censored Word*.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

j72 wrote:Simon is an interesting mix of the two... I think of him as a metro-*Censored Word*.
I love it!

Millie is my little princess, no puddle walking in for her that's for sure. She is very girly in generaly until she plays.... Then the gloves are off :wink: She will go for Java's tail, his legs etc to get him to play with her!

Java maybe metro-*Censored Word* as well. Very cat like when he runs and plays but does the whole kicking after pooping. Not very macho at the moment
Thank you Elodie!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I've never had a male to compare Pekoe to but I don't see any thing feminine about Pekoe, she lifts her leg most of the time when she wizes but when she see's her street gang, 2 Pitts a Lab and an Akita they are all males and the terror dogs of the neighborhood, she turns on her feminine charms to lure them in but once they are lured in she scares the hell out of them and all she is trying to do is play. Maybe she is a Tomboy Chow.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Jeff&Peks wrote:I've never had a male to compare Pekoe to but I don't see any thing feminine about Pekoe, she lifts her leg most of the time when she wizes but when she see's her street gang, 2 Pitts a Lab and an Akita they are all males and the terror dogs of the neighborhood, she turns on her feminine charms to lure them in but once they are lured in she scares the hell out of them and all she is trying to do is play. Maybe she is a Tomboy Chow.
Kodi's a TomBoy too. I say 'she must've been raised with male wolves....'
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I've noticed a definate difference in how they act on a daily basis. The females will give me kisses everyday, but Bear is very stingy with them. Ping's also a tomboy, but she can also turn on her feminine charm. She loves to rough it up with Bear and Sammy. Bear hates to get his feet wet and he'll also run when he sees me getting out the waterhose in the back yard. He does turn on the tough guy act when he wants to scare people coming up to the front door. Sammy is my loner. Unless she's playing with Ping, she's usually on the back patio or by the front door watching the kids play b-ball in the street.
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

The girls are kissers,and love to snuggle.They clean eachother as well as the poodles.But they also roll in the mud,dig holes,and play real rough.
Cinnamon will hold on to your leg every now and then .Cheyenne is very submissive with us,so she doesn't do that .
Both of them will hump eachother ,but even the female poodles do that,just to figure out who's the boss.
Don wants to buy the girls fancy collars with rhinestones,but don't worry,lol,not going to happen.
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Jazzy is soooo not feminine! She is very dominant to the point of pushing Peanut out of the way so she's first out the door, in the door, at dinner time, etc. The only time I see any feminine charm is when she wants treats. Then she's all mush. Although, she has a mommy instinct built in. She loves to give kisses, head to foot. She has also on a couple occasions held my grand daughter down with her paws, and literally cleaned her (wish I had a video of that!)

*Edit* And Jazz loves the mud and dirty water :D

Peanut is all feminine except lifts her leg all the time to pee. Otherwise she thinks she's a princess. Doesn't want to stay out in the cold, doesn't like to walk in snow, etc. She's a big baby. Have seen her be aggressive with Jazz though, when bones are present. She's a stinker and hides Jazzy's toys, hides chews then brings out when Jazz's are gone then teases Jazz with them. (oh, wrong thing to do Peanut; Jazzy usually ends up with the treat after much growling and snapping at each other. too much of that and the treat ends up on the top of the frige)

Dog-sat a male a long time ago, but he was still young and pushed around by a Germ Shep, so couldn't really tell.
Last edited by Salandra on Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Sally
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Am I confused over the whole Male = Domination thing? DBF would argue vehemently that being in charge and dominating is a VERY feminine trait... :twisted:
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I had a breeder here in MN tell me that the big difference between boys and girls is how affectionate they are. And I have seen this for myself. All my boys were much less affectionate, they would all lay in another room and if I called them I'd get the ear tilted back to hear me, like they were saying, "Yeah I know you're there, got a treat? No. Well then I'm busy."

Firesong follows me from room to room, has to know what I'm doing all the time. She gives lots of kisses and wants hugs.

Dreamdancer acts like her, but I can see a bit of the male aloofness emerging in him. I expect by the time he's 2.5 I'll be lucky if he deigns to acknowledge me for more than food or walks.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

j72 wrote:Am I confused over the whole Male = Domination thing? DBF would argue vehemently that being in charge and dominating is a VERY feminine trait... :twisted:
I agree with that, I think there is another word for it, something with a B. I'm sure its not Domination, I belive woman charge for that. Mistress what ever..
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

[-X OH NO YOU DIDN' JEFF!!!! LOL!

Simon is very kissy and lovy... I guess that just goes back to the "metro-*Censored Word*" theory as well...
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

Angel is a total lady.... She will hop over any puddle in her way and never lifts her leg to pee. She often does that bury the poop dance when she is done (I always imagine her singing "I feel good!! do do dod do! I knew that I would would now!" hehe) . She seems to LOVE getting groomed, too. Whenever we get back she prances around the house like a little lady, running and saying "woof" to get you to chase her. She's my little princess bear.

:)
chris

Post by chris »

LOL.. Metro - *Censored Word*.. I haven't heard that term in a while.. I have a friend who lives in chicago and I call him that. LOL..

anyway.. well Steel would be the most macho out of him and Thor.. but my female Grizz... she was kinda snobby and girlyish I guess.. but I wouldn't mess with her. She could have been Pekoes twin sister. :-)
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

OH NO!! Something else to cause Layla to LAUGH OUT LOUD!! I've been told that Sid is a "FOO-FOO" dog! He eats foo foo food, hides when other dogs try to play, follows me around, loves to be petted and brushed and cuddled with. LOL.. Sid certainly is NOT a "manly man".. ha ha ha ha...

He's my pampered baby boy. :)
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

i see a defenate difference between the *Censored Word*.the boys play is a lot more physical.all 3 of my girls who i had seperately where dominant females who when out walking would stand and cry for a male to come to them for attention then we would get full on flirting as soon as the male got within 2feet my girls head would go up in the air and they would just walk away if a poor male decided to follow then they would be snapped at as if to say leave me alone you bore me.
were as my twins if where out walking and we see a female there body language changes suddenly theres a lot more strutting about and posturing.i also find theres a big difference when other males approach us again theres a lot of posturing its basically a case of who is the most dominant male in the community.
with all five of my girls and boys over the years its funny how when you have to go out you can shout at the top of your voice to call them to come in and they totally ignore you.but if you open the kitchen cupboard were the doggy biscuits are they can hear do that right from the other end of the garden and are at your side in 10 seconds or less.
as far as a love and devotion goes theres no difference.you are the centre of there world as they are yours.