Gizmo dies while at vet being groomed

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

Just an update.

We have contacted Kim and are looking for another Chowling to fill this void we now have.

I'm also waiting to interview all of the employees to see who administered the drug, how much, which drug etc.

I've had a relationship with this animal hospital for many years, so litigation is not the answer here. If this was some groomer/hack/vet-tech, then yes.

It's been a tough couple of days with more to come without my boy. His white fur is everywhere. We have yet to sit on the couch he took over.

I'm very lucky to have such wonderful neighbors. One is a couple who have black labs who Gizmo loved to play with. The owners were just as upset as my wife was when they were told. More and more offer to walk Boosha at anytime, offer food, and any assistance possible. Gizmo was truly loved by many here.

I walked Boosha for the first time tonight. It was tough, but got worse whenever I passed aeras where Gizmo used to go into the woods to go. Having an empty hand while walking her was difficult.

On another note, see the thread about recalling the vets along with the food as it has started more awakening of uses of tranqs on our beloved Chows. Everyone should read it, do a little research and add to it with good information for all of us to benefit.

I do not want Gizmo to be remembered as just some mistake or oversight, but as a time for all of us to question what or who we use on taking care of our Chows.

Regards,
Deanski
JAYGOW1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JAYGOW1 »

Excellent attitude Deanski. I am so sorry for your loss. Gizmo felt like the "poster child" for CC . org .

You really should be proud of such an amazing Chowling. I really admire the stance that you have taken. Sometimes, unfortunate things happen. God be with you & Gizmo on this Holy Day.

I hope that you find a "new addition" to your family. Some little Chow out there is about to find the PERFECT forever home !!
I really miss my purple kisses!!! RIP Bear, my bestest friend EVER !!
7-20-2006

Khon,you were taken WAY too early !
Til we meet again, my friend
3-24-2007
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Gizmo dies while at vet being groomed

Post by Deanski »

As some may now know, years have passed.

In that time, the house welcomed Gandalf, a red from Redcloud.

It was once again cut short by Gandalf waking up one morning and not being able to pick himself up or move his rear legs. He was three years old too.

Rushing him to Emergency Vet Center they came back with an estimate of $6500 to $7200 for MRI, etc.

Even with VPI coverage, it was money up front first. In this economy, we just cannot do this.

I had to put our Gandalf down on December 7, 2010. See Memorials and prayers thread. It was hard to do and more difficult than others as he was fully heathy, no Lyme, fully tested a month prior. He loved going to our local Vet and this time was to be his last. That part was the hardest seeing he was happy to be there. Our Vet gave him one injection to relax him and make sure he would not suffer at all before the syringe that I dread, the pink syringe. He went peacefully. Now I was the one in pain. Again, I had a private cremation for him. Our Vet was wonderful in taking care of everything and even paying for the cremation so I didn't have to deal with it that day.

Once again, we are without a Chow and it's very difficult to deal with, but we try.

I have to say, Gandalf was a very melow, sweet Chow like no other. Not an aggressive bone in him. It's the breeding done by one of the best well known breeders in the country and well respected in the breed clubs.

I hope that once it's warmer, we will meet with Zola and Paula to see if there is a litter on the ground and then make the choice that I hope we will not have to repeat this or have to go through it for a long time.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

So so sad. I'm sorry for your losses.
Thank you Sweatpea
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm so sorry for your losses.

I too hope you don't have to go through this again.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

We are so sorry to hear this!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm wishing you luck and hope you'll soon have a new baby to love who will be with you for a LONG time!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

Thank you to all of those that have replied to this thread.

Our Gandalf was such a handsome boy. He was also the most mellow Chow, never showed aggression, never bit or growled, was playful with all dogs and loved to show his affection towards people. This was all attributed to quality breeding and proper puppy development by our breeders. He was just such a sweet Chow. I've never had the opportunity to have such a well rounded Chow such as him.

It's all too quiet in our home and no one to greet us at the window when we come home or at the door. That's the hardest. Along with just coming home or being home for an extended time, alone, without having him.

We will see as soon as the weather warms about another Chowling.

It's just the thought of this repeating itself as we never would have thought we'd have to revisit this tramatic experience again in such a short time. More so knowing he was from a very well respected breeder, healthy, no cause of alarms or concern.

Thank you all once again!
lovechows55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lovechows55 »

So sorry to hear about both of your losses. I'm just now reading about what happened to Gizmo which was so tragic, and then my heart just broke when I read about the decision you had to make about Gandalf. We lost our beloved Chelsea in January 2008 and after having to make the decision to euthanize her because of hip dysplasia, it's taken over three years to work through her loss to get to a point where we're ready to search for another puppy. I can't imagine losing one so soon. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you during this challenging time.
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

lovechows55 wrote:So sorry to hear about both of your losses. I'm just now reading about what happened to Gizmo which was so tragic, and then my heart just broke when I read about the decision you had to make about Gandalf. We lost our beloved Chelsea in January 2008 and after having to make the decision to euthanize her because of hip dysplasia, it's taken over three years to work through her loss to get to a point where we're ready to search for another puppy. I can't imagine losing one so soon. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you during this challenging time.
Thank you for your reply and your prayers.

Gandalf was such as sweet boy and to do what I had to do was just the hardest thing I've ever done!

More so seeing he loved to see everyone at the vet and they loved him. Gandalf was in the back of my car looking out and knew where we were going. He walked in with assistance from me "sling walking" him in, happy as usual only to be faced with the thought that I'm about to end his life that moment. He had no idea. One of the personnel had to leave as she was too upset to face the thought or to see him.

It was then that I requested to sedate him as much as possible so I can be sure he would not suffer when the final injection was administered. He was relaxed as always and once sedated, I just layed on the floor with him looking into his eyes and telling him I'm so sorry, please forgive me for what is about to happen. I just lost it at that point.

Once it was over, I stayed with him, on the floor, giving him whatever I could in affection.

I then took him myself in my car to All Pets to have a private cremation.

One day we will look into getting another one, but it's too painful now.

Deanski
lovechows55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lovechows55 »

Deanski,

I can so relate to your feelings about Gandalf. When we had to put Chelsea down, I held her and we looked in each other's eyes the entire time they were administering the anesthetic and the last med. that took her from me. Even though I knew it was needed, the decision to end her life and watching her leave still makes me cry. The main consolation I have is that she is in a better place (Rainbow Bridge) is no longer in the extreme pain she was in. In Gandalf's situation, even though you weren't able to have him with you very long, you made a decision which was done out of love and kept him from being in pain.

Also, don't feel guilty about the economic choice. Most of us would be hard-pressed to come up with that kind of cash up front (and dealing with the insurance companies aren't fun either--if you get reimbursed, it's for 50% or less). You might have gone through all kinds of financial hardship and Gandalf might have been in horrible pain during the testing and then had to make the same choice. Gandalf will always be with you in your heart and your soul.
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

Thank you and you can see his picture in the prayers forum. The picture of him on the deck was when he was still a bit young.

At least our local vet whom I've used for all of our Chows, went out of their way and paid for the cremation service for us while we delt with our grief.

This is way I always say to support your local vet, have that discussion well in advance and when the day does come, at least those that have planed and discussed this have a way to deal with the personal grief of the loss and not have to deal with the unplesent task of paying for such an event at that time.

Some vets will even offer a simple savings account directly tied for this well in advance and to help take the financial burden off you at that time. A small amount payed into it at visits will eventualy balance out for the event and for any services, cremation etc.

Deanski
lovechows55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lovechows55 »

Deanski,

Thank you so much for your advice. I did go to the Memorials and Prayers section to see Gandalf's photo. He really was a gorgeous dog and I can see why you miss him so much. My tribute to Chelsea is in that section, too (from 2008). I couldn't get her photo to upload unfortunately but at least I was able to write a dedication to her several months after we said goodbye.

Again, please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers as you work through your loss.