The Chow, Everyone has probably read all this before.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

The Chow, Everyone has probably read all this before.

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Temperament and behavior

The Chow Chow is very intelligent but not always easy to train. They don't have the strong desire to please their masters as do breeds like the Golden Retriever. They seem to please themselves first and don't respond to the average methods of training and motivation. They do not tolerate physical punishment and can't be forced into anything. Hitting or beating a Chow will either result in viciousness or a broken spirit. Like a cat, a Chow is only willing to do what suits his mood at the time. He's an independent thinker and will make his own decisions if you don't stay a step ahead of him! The Chow is a powerful, regal, beautiful animal and he knows it. He expects to be treated with dignity and respect respect that he will return if you show you're worthy of it.

From this description, I think you can see that the Chow Chow is not a breed for everyone. Its temperament is often misunderstood and many people mistakenly believe that Chows are vicious dogs. This breed is naturally suspicious of strangers and very territorial. They take their homes and family very seriously as well as their responsibility to protect what they love. On his own property and especially without his owner present, the Chow can appear to be quite fierce. He will seldom let a stranger pass unchallenged. People used to the warm welcomes of other breeds are unprepared for the seriousness of the Chow; guests must be greeted by the owners before the dog accepts them.

he Chow's appearance also contributes to the myths about his temperament. The scowling, sometimes wrinkled face, small deepset eyes, and lionlike ruff are intimidating. Some people complain that they can't "read" a Chow's expression as easily as other breeds'. The Chow's natural aloofness, dignity and indifference to people outside his family is often misinterpreted by people who expect most dogs to be outwardly friendly and affectionate. The Chow saves his affections for those he loves dearly and finds little reason to seek attention from anyone else. He minds his own business and simply doesn't care what other people think of him!

The strong-willed Chow needs an equally strong-willed owner. They have definite minds of their own and can easily become your master if you allow it. Chow puppies are naturally well-behaved, more so than most breeds. They're seldom destructive or disobedient. Because of their good behavior, many people fail to train them properly. When an untrained Chow reaches adolescence, that dreadful teenage stage all dogs go through, he may refuse to accept your authority. We've found that most people who've had behavior problems with their Chows failed to train them and earn their respect.

Although the Chow adjusts well to being alone during your working hours, he prefers to be with you when you're home, not kept as an outside dog. He loves to spend time outside but tied up or confined away from people, he'll become very anti-social. Because of their hunting instincts, Chows without training don't always get along with cats or tiny dogs. They aren't "pack" dogs either and seldom get along with large dogs of the same *Censored Word*.

Chows make exceptional house pets. Despite their size (17-21" at the shoulder, 45-85 pounds), they are very quiet, naturally well-behaved, not diggers or barkers and aren't destructive. They're one of the easiest breeds to housebreak. Chows do, however, have a very different personality than other dogs. They are cat-like in their attitudes: aloof, reserved with affection, independent, dignified and stubborn. Although their soft fur is ripe for hugging, they don't always enjoy being fussed over by children or strangers. For people who want a cuddly lap dog that will instantly love all their friends, the Chow is likely to be a disappointment.

Those of us who know and understand Chow Chows cherish their quiet dignity, proud aloofness and their deep loyalty to those they love. To be loved by a Chow is like no other experience. After that, anything less is just another dog.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/chowchow.html
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, I have read it before Jeff, but thank you anyway - it says it all doesn't it.
The bit about training a puppy - even though I said that I don't go along with training classes - and I still maintain that - I did train my two when Milly was a baby and when Mabel came to live with us. They are as obedient as you will get a Chow.
Yes, it just about describes a Chow perfectly. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yep, I've read and agree with it. Personally I think we should post it several times a year just so folks understand. You can train a chow just like you cna train a cat. It will just take more patience, knowledge and commitment than most dogs.

"Strong willed person" I think could be amended to mean, self-confident person, it's been my experience that a person who is confident of themselves is not threatened by a dog's, (or other animal's) independence and will work around it instead just trying to break it. (Horses are another creature that are often mistreated or thrown away, because people are threatened by their independence.)
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!