Shy little Elsie

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

soledsoled
Rank 0
Rank 0

Shy little Elsie

Post by soledsoled »

My little pup is a very shy girl. I got her from a foster family three days ago (she is nine weeks old) and while the woman seemed very nice the puppy exhibits a personality that lends me to believe she may have been abused. Though she's coming around to me (I've made an attempt not to support her scared ways and she's gained some more confidence) she still rolls over on her back in a completely submissive way when other humans come up to her.
While she's the sweetest thing and is very loving to me I'd like her to gain some confidence so she doesn't become an emotional cripple.
Also she seemed to have a good relationship with the other dogs at the foster family so I don't think it's a genetic shyness just one that she's picked up recently.
Any suggestions as to how I can help her break out of her shell would be very helpful, thanks.
tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tekendall »

My girl was very shy as a puppy too, and still is. At 9 weeks old, she is at a very critical point for socialization. Take her out with you everywhere!! Put her in a strangers arms and let them pet her. If possible, have her meet new people each day. Meeting different kinds of people is good too (young, old, children, races, with hats, ect) Make sure every experience is a positive one. Best of luck!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Some dogs like people are naturally shy, Try to socialize her more, include her with activities with the dogs, and also give her special one on one time. Once she feels more comfortable she may come out of her shell.

David
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Millie was pretty shy when we first got her and we took her everywhere we could to introduce her to people. We also gave the other people in the street a treat to give to Millie so that it was supet positive for her. She still associates people with treats! It works pretty well as everyone thinks that Chow puppies are soooooooo cute :D As with everything with Chows it took a while & being superconsistant about it but she a friendly little 6 month old now.
Thank you Elodie!
soledsoled
Rank 0
Rank 0

thanks

Post by soledsoled »

Thanks for the advice. I was researching online about puppies and most credible sources warn about acquiring shy pups and suggest that potential dog owners look somewhere else.
When I took her from her foster home she was very serene and in the car ride home, after she sniffed her way around the passenger seat, she jumped over the center console while I was driving, onto my lap and laid down. Never moving on the 45 min drive except to stretch. She was completely comfortable and at home with me.
I know I'll just have to work extra hard to make everything comfortable for her.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think the most important thing with a Chow more so then any kind of training is to get them out in public and expose them to everything. Walks in the park everyday then when they get use to that start walking them in crowds and around stores like pet-smart. Walk them around the city downtown and around outdoor malls. the more of the world he see's and the more situations he comes across the better he will be.

With a Chow depending on what part of town your walking People will come out of the wood work asking to pet your Chow, that might be a little to much at first so I would try and control that untill he is relaxed being out and about and around people.

I think the more outdoor socializing you do the less obedience classes you need.

My Chow has been socialzed so much she plays games with People. She will look at People start that cute little whining and grunting and say hey Come here look how cute I am, then when they get close enough she growls at them and chase's them away. then she grunts and gets that big Chow smile and struts down the street.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chowdad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowdad »

You have recieved wise answers so far. At nine weeks she is perfect to begin socialization. You need to take her everywhere you go. Most retail places let you carry a puppy her age inside. I would do what we did and take her to an outdoor mall at least twice a week and just sit in the courtyard with her. People of all ages and sizes and colors will line up for a chance to pet a baby chow chow, you should allow every single person to pet hug and kiss her. Her personality is literally in your hands at her age. I know that part of it is genetic or prior experience, but you can't change that part. Don't forget to socialize her with other dogs too, you need to be careful that all of her experiences are good ones.
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

When we got the girls at 8 weeks (vet's guess) Cheyenne was awfully shy,Cinnamon wasn't afraid of anything.Cheyenne would run in her pen when someone came to the house or hide under the table.
From day one we made sure everybody that stopped by picked them up ,even people that don't like dogs .(told them if they don't want to get eaten in a year or so they better be nice to then now,lol)
We have had them almost 7 weeks now.Cinnamon is still the first one to run over to visitors,but Cheyenne will go to them as well.
She'll roll over and let them rub her belly,and will kiss whoever kisses her.
HemiCuda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HemiCuda »

Jeff&Peks wrote:
My Chow has been socialzed so much she plays games with People. She will look at People start that cute little whining and grunting and say hey Come here look how cute I am, then when they get close enough she growls at them and chase's them away. then she grunts and gets that big Chow smile and struts down the street.
TOOO FUNNY! :lol: :lol: ,
I agree with jeff on this, when we got hemi he was, lets say anti- social, when he was younger we started socializing him, taking him to festivals ( dream cruise, ect.) and everyone just wanted to pet him, he soon got used to it, maybe even liked it, or maybe just learned how to tolerate it, but either way it's not somthing ( from my experence) that happens right away, it takes time, but its worth it. :wink:

"If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain" - Dolly Parton
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

she'll come around. socialize as much as you can. everyone already gave such great advice, but just be careful where she walks outside if she isnt fully vaccinated yet.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

janet wrote:she'll come around. socialize as much as you can. everyone already gave such great advice, but just be careful where she walks outside if she isnt fully vaccinated yet.
Yea don't take the Chow to Janet's Neighborhood.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage