We did it, we made THE appointment!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

We did it, we made THE appointment!

Post by Guest »

Chi-Ching is scheduled for the 21st to lose his little precious testosterone filled knockers! LOL My vet who normally does not fix dogs until they are 6 months said that they would make an exception for Chi-Ching. He is set, hopefully he will cut with the attitude just a bit after this.
I am not terribly worried about him as I trust my vet immensely but I have heard alot about Chows and that they can react badly to anesthesia and so that has me concerned. I am going in on Friday to get his 12 week shots and I will ask them about it then.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh Dear!
That is a worry but just trust the vets - when M & M had their emergency hysterectomies when they were 18 months old, I was worried silly - just breathe deeply, don't Think to hard and trust! Just trust! :)

Will be thinking about you. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)

Post by Guest »

Thanks, I really trust my vets alot and I will be getting his shots on Friday and I will talk to them about it then too.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Isoflorane gas is the safest and I think most vets use it for surgeries. They do give them a sedative before the gas and it's up to the vet on which one to use. I'm sure you're vet will know that Chows need to be given a smaller dosage because of their bodily structure and not their weight...but make sure you discuss it with him/her.

When I first brought Shiloh in for her spay - I got alot of help from this site and Jeff gave me Pekoe's vets contact. I spoke to him and when I took Shiloh in for her appointment, I pretty much made a nuisance of myself with a list of questions...I'm not kidding - I made a list and went over each question with him. The vet looked a little bothered that I didn't just trust them to do it right but - hey! that's my Chow and I needed to feel comfortable. It took a while for her to get back to her normal self but I think that's because it's a spay.

For Mr. N - his procedure went just fine but he was ready to jump around the next day. It was hard to keep him at a lower activity level - he was ready to play right away!

Good luck and give Chi-Ching a little rub on the head for us!

Karen
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

I had Rogue neutered at 5 months as well. It DID help. ALOT. He doesn't even miss them. Nina went through 4 heats before we had her spayed, and he didn't even sniff her. But he does have an odd relationship with the cat...
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Well - it takes all sorts!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Post by Guest »

Chingy already has an odd relationship with our cat Asha!! What is worse, I think she LIKES it!!
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Our cat is a male... :o
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I have to have Lily spayed soon. She is 5 months, and for the last month she has occasionly started humping our spayed older dog during rough housing. I don't think she is in heat yet, but who needs to experience that!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

:roll:
Last edited by Auddymay on Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

It is all part of the rich tapestry of life! :D
Tammie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tammie »

I've been told that the females humping is a dominance thing. That that is one of the ways that the dogs establish a pecking order. The gentleman that told me breeds English Bulldogs, and although we were only looking at females, I must have got a funny expression on my face when the oldest female decided to remind a cohort who was boss. :wink: I rather thought that they had to be exposed to the breeding act to learn it, I didn't realize that the females knew it instinctively.
Love & Laughter,
Tammie
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

You're probably correct on the dominance thing, Tammie. Lily wasn't the alpha in her litter, but my older dog Pippy was probably the most submissive in hers! She has always assumed submissive postures in the company of other dogs. When I brought Lily home, she was still pretty little, but as time goes on, she definitely is asserting herself as the dominant dog between them. Pip is so easy going, I just pray Lily doesn't start fighting with her as some experts say a female chow will do at about 6 months of age when another adult female is around. I'm hoping it'll be more like Judy's Milly and Mabel!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

I hope she doesn't fight.
Milly and Mabel are so goreous with each other and they were six months old when Mabel came to live with us. :) We actually think that they remember each other even though they were 6 weeks old when Milly came to live with us. However, they were from a litter of six, the other four being dogs.
I don't know what we did nor did not do. We were warned that they would "carve each other up" not by the breeders, by other people, but we decided to buy Mabel anyway and from the moment they saw each other again, they kissed each other and cried and have been joined at the shoulder ever since and that was 4.75 years ago. :) They have never had a cross word, not so much as a growl and will eat together from the same bowl. They "wash up" their bowls together when they have had their meal and never argue so I suppose we are just very lucky. :)
I suppose just don't put up with any aggression. :?

Before Milly and Mabel came to live with us, we had a boxer bitch called Meggy and a Lhasa Aspo call Humphrey. They were nine when Megs died suddenly we got Milly, who was six months old when Humphrey died.
Now he was the original little *Censored Word*!! :oops:
He was just six weeks older than Meggy and was definately the most dominant and Megs let him be. When we fed them, he would walk over and inspect her bowl - he never wanted to eat it just inspect it, then he would walk back to his bowl and start eating. Then and only then would Meggy start her meal.

When he died we bought Mabel and when they were nearly one, our daughter Rhiannon who lived with us at the time bought a Schnauzer puppy, called Hector. He never tried to be dominant but when he got too rough when playing, even when he was fully grown, Mabel used to grab his back leg and with one flick of her head, flip him over onto his back. We never worked out exactly how she did it because he was a Standard Schnauzer, not the minature and he was strong, he hated it and would run in to our daughter!! :) The thing was, Milly played dirty - when Mabel had flipped him over, Milly would dive in and nip his tackle - that would make him yelp. :lol: But, they never growled or fought with each other. :)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Thank you for those words of encouragement. The girls had a little disagreement at Pippy's dish last night, it was very short, so I didn't interfere. For the most part, I can watch them closely, and don't tolerate bullying; when Pippy is laying peacefully and has given Lily a warning to leave her alone, Lily plays the imp and will keep at Pip if I don't run interference. The Big age difference means different energy levels, and I don't want poor Pip to always have to be on gaurd. Judy, I had a male boxer who was 3 years old when I adopted an 11 year old spitefire named Sassy. She was all of 3 lbs, a terrier/poodle mix. She was half the size of Bud's head. The first time he tried to horn in on her little feeding dish, she nipped his rear all the way to the other end of the house! I wish I had had a camera! The only thing Sassy had to fear were some neighborhood cats, who would go into stalking mode when they saw her. Probably thinking they were finally going to get some street justice on the dogs...lol
Tammie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Making Doggy Friends

Post by Tammie »

I hope they don't fight! I've not had a female dog, just a female kitten that I made the male cat-killing chow be friends with. I'm sure they will work it out, I haven't seen animals that live together that haven't come to some sort of agreement. My husband's chow Simba is alpha but lets a little tiny Lhaso Apso cross boss him around- they never fight. Simba tries really hard to stay out of the Lhaso's way, its pretty funny. :lol:
Love & Laughter,
Tammie