71%
My chow can run free and comes back on command
29%

Total votes: 35

redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

ski wrote:How I wish we could take Loki off his lead! We live in a quiet area, no cars, trees in the rear...but he will take off after deer. We thought we could trust him, but he jumped across a creek bed to chase the deer. I didn't know that a chow could jump that far! We finally found him in a nearby neighborhood with a kind family that was giving him bottled water and preparing him a snack. What a poser! I will never take that chance again.
So he was trying to make people think he was homeless to get a free meal huh? Gotta love them always out to get pampered!!
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Can't knock the ingenuity of a Chow, After I taught Pekoe how to shake hands I was at the SF harbor and ask some guys I was with to keep on eye on Pekoe for a minute, when I came back Pekoe was at the next Picnic table with a family eating lunch, she was walking around with her Paw up trying to shake hands with each one hoping the People Could spare some of their Lunch. Chows know how to survive even if they have to fake Being homeless or put on a show to get what they want.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

I haven't tried to let Sid off a leash and I would be way too paranoid to even try! I get anxious at the puppy park!! We have a leash law so you're not supposed to let your dog 'off leash' but people do it all the time. I can't imagine what I would do if he got hit by a car or lost or WORSE, stolen! egad, I'm a worry wart. :)
LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

not runners.....

Post by LuLu33 »

I don't know where I find my snobby (or should I say lazy) LOL not interested in anything chowkids...LOL but they are not interested in cats, squirrels (and we got tons of chipmunks and squirrels, hate them, they eat my flowers and blueberrys and everything I grow, the critters eat). My chows... They just lay there! The neighbors cat takes a short cut through the yard and Bailey doesn't bark or even bother to get up. He holds his head high protecting the door but not interested in the hunt or kill. Hmmmm... wonder why. I guess that's a good thing so when the other dogs carry on or are wild on their lead mine just prance around like little snobby chows that they are. LOL :lol:
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

We could NEVER allow Kearra off leach due to a busy road by our house..........although when we first got her, my husband had fixed the fence so she couldn't fit under it..........except for 1 small place way under some bushes that he felt sure she wouldn't find :roll:
I let her go outside and went out the side door to take care of my plants when I looked up and there she was, wagging all over saying HEEEEA what ya doing?????
I said, Oh Hi Kearra???? :shock: :shock:
I took her back outside and said, SHOW ME HOW YOU GOT OUT???? She PROUDLY went under the bushes and went through the small hole that my husband thought she would NEVER FIND :roll:
Thank God she came around the ENTIRE house and came to see what I was doing instead of going in the busy street!!!
Needless to say, My husband fixed that hole :lol: :lol:
chris

Post by chris »

I wish Steel were like that. Thor was a good boy, I could take him off leash... he would just lay around in the garage or in the yard if I was doing yard work and DH was working on something in the garage. Grizz and Steel though feel the need to "run wild and free"... LOL
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Re: not runners.....

Post by cheriekynb »

LuLu33 wrote:I don't know where I find my snobby (or should I say lazy) LOL not interested in anything chowkids...LOL but they are not interested in cats, squirrels (and we got tons of chipmunks and squirrels, hate them, they eat my flowers and blueberrys and everything I grow, the critters eat). My chows... They just lay there! The neighbors cat takes a short cut through the yard and Bailey doesn't bark or even bother to get up. He holds his head high protecting the door but not interested in the hunt or kill. Hmmmm... wonder why. I guess that's a good thing so when the other dogs carry on or are wild on their lead mine just prance around like little snobby chows that they are. LOL :lol:
ha ha ha.. I'm WAITING for Sid to be "lazy".. That's supposed to be one of the characteristics, right?? NOT SID!! He picks up his leash and says.. "ok, time for a walk".. we're up to a mile a day!! The first day he was exhausted, now it's "ok, let's rest for an hour and go again".. I better be losing some weight THAT'S ALL I GOTTA SAY!! :D
hahaha

Cheri.
Aslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aslan »

My is a runner. :twisted:
Aslanchow
Mekare
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mekare »

Wow what a great site....I have a 12 year old spayed female and it took me at least 3 years before i could trust her not to run off a 90 acre horse farm..hehe...but now she is off the leash every day at the park and around the grounds at horse farms and is not inclined to roam. That doesn't mean she'll not take off after a squirrel but she comes readily back. As well, she's pretty good bout coming when called when she does start to go to far (its just the squirrels we still have issues with....)
"Motivation is what gets you started.Habit is what keeps you going."-Unknown
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

I wasn't sure how to vote in your poll, Chris.

I can trust Benny off leash, but as for coming when called -- not happening! :lol: It's mostly unnecessary since he stays pretty close when off leash, especially if Lady is still on leash.