General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2975912&page=1

below is part of the article:

Investigators, meanwhile, are looking into whether the rat poison came into the United States on an ingredient used in the recalled food. ABC News has learned that Menu Foods bought wheat gluten, the only ingredient changed in its plants, from China. That possibility raises questions about the safety of pet and other food products in the United States.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Well, the wheat came from a third world country and went to a country with no regulations, so what do you expect. My guess is that they will find that the exporter from China had a problem with rats, so they sprayed the wheat or the area, or even the containers or cargo bays on the ships, then it got transfered to the wheat. Then since they have no regulations in Canada, nothing was checked and they just processed everything as usual. Probably the part that came in contact with the containers was all scooped out last and they got a big dose in the food. Remember that not all of the food was bad.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Some of the food was also processed in Kansas and one other state, I forgot which. Scary.
My chow is having rice and turkey with yams tonight.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

chris

Post by chris »

WildThings wrote:I see a very large lawsuit for someone in the near future. I feel awful for the people who have lost there pets because of this.

I thought I read somewhere that the law suits were already starting to be filed.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Yes, they have already started the lawsuits, this is the US, land of the free and home of the sued! There was a video in the link at the first part of the thread.
Sam

Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

What kills me is this country is becoming mostly a consumer instead of the great producer it once was. I think it will change some day, but something really bad will have to cause it, like another world war!
Sam

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Rat poison found in tainted pet food

ALBANY, N.Y. - Rat poison was found in pet food blamed for the deaths of at least 16 cats and dogs, but scientists said Friday they still don't know how it got there and predicted more animal deaths would be linked to it. After the announcement, the company that produced the food expanded its recall to include all 95 brands of the "cuts and gravy" style food, regardless of when they were produced. The company also said it would take responsibility for pet medical expenses incurred as a result of the food.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070323/ap_ ... JjhMsDW7oF

Think I said the word Regardless a few times my self.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

If so, we would lose, we couldn't replace our fightes chinas capability.

David
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"I think it will change some day, but something really bad will have to cause it, like another world war!"

You mean like stop shopping at Wal-mart.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Na, stopping the spending at Wally World wouldn't do it, the marketing people would just move the products to a new store. All of this stems from the bean counters and the corporate executives trying to make big profits, and they are the ones behind the lawmakers that allow it to happen. 16 or so dogs and cats dieing won't even get their attention.

That reminds me, I went to Target a few weeks ago to buy a new alarm clock, I looked at every one of them, they were all made in China. There was even a Timex one and I grabed it and thought, this has to be US, no dice! So I bought a Sony made in China, imagine that, a Japanese product made in China when they are known for their electronics.
Sam

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I like the new Car commercials instead of saying Made in America now they say Assembled in America, they are hoping all you hear is America and not hear the word assembled.

ImageImage
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Just disgusting. I am glad they know what it is now though, do they honestly think that "covering any medical costs incurred" will make it all better for all the families who feed this to their chowdren and have had to make trips to the vet over this? Or even all the families who have been fearful for the past weeks because of this? I just pray that this raises the issues of regulating pet foods and some action is taken. Yeah, disgusting is really the only thing I can say. :(
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
eve
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eve »

Cornell Univ. school of Vet. Medicine is doing research on ALL the components in the foods recalled! Even tho they found the rat posion.
Now what does that tell you??

Menu and many of the other companies also make human food.....SO NOW....the search is on for the wheat gluten? in our food.

An associate of mine imports container loads of "stuff" from china!!! The question asked by customers is "what about bugs?".

When the containers' loaded and closed they are pumped full of pesticides to keep the bugs out of baskets, etc.
Now what does that tell you?

Menu foods fired the canadian company they were getting the "stuff" from (which was legal there and in Us) - then started getting it cheaper from China! Which was NOT legal here.

Can you believe that we have to go through all this S**T just so they can increase their profit from what billions? or multi-millions? - so they can save a couple thousand? maybe!!!

Also, in one of the menu reports, the chinese people pefer ameican pet food for the nutrients. The contaminated food was not sold in china! BUT, the american food that was then imported there - from here - has been causing many deaths.
Now what does that tell you?

NOW, lets also keep in mind that china, back in the hills still RAISE ChowChows for FOOD. Then it is distributed.
Of couse, that goes on in other countries, such as Korea.

Yes, folks, I have several friends that travel to buy merchandise there specifically - (also my mother in law) And there were places they refused to stay to buy. And places they had to LEAVE, LIKE GET OUT QUICK! Because of what they saw and what merchants? tried to sell them!!

But that is another story.....

I spent HOURS on the phone today with ALL OF THEM.
Nobody knows NUTHIN!!
In calling Walmart's corporate office, the recording kept saying that number was not in service. After a couple of times trying, I started punching 0 0 0, all of a sudden a nice lady answered with "this is menu foods how can I help you". I took great joy in telling her it was a link through Walmart's number. They didn't know it was being transfered on the corporate level. She answered right away and in person - it was NOT one of those numbers published for the public!! After a chat re what else........
I asked her what she was feeding her pets (said she had a house full) - her husband has a dog food recipe he has been making for the last 2 weeks. Nice lady.
Now what does that tell you???????

My big babies are now on my food, only healthier. I believe this might just be the tip of the iceberg. Hope not but......
Abuse thrives in Silence!
eve
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eve »

Let's don't forget - there are people in this country that

eat dog food.

And I have heard it is actually healthier.

What about them?????

I am soooo upset, I'll try to let up now.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I didn't even know that wheat was imported from China. Canada is a huge wheat and soya grower and exports wheat to many countries. Semolina flour to Italy for spaghetti making for example.
From now on I will only feed my dog and me food that I can pronounce.The cats don't like home cooked food, don't know what to do about them.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think Victory and I have been saying no wheat or corn for years.

ImageImage
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Is this story unbelievable or what?
In fact, I don't believe there are only 16 deaths.
I know of several deaths just from the Birmingham area.

I talked to a lady yesterday who works at a grocery store and has four cats, all of them sick, she says. She's thinking they have allergies, which is causing them to be so sick. She anyway, I explained the recall to her and suggested she get her cats to the vet ASAP. But, from the symptoms she described to me, I don't think they will make it.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
eve
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eve »

Two sites you must check out - I can only link to one at a time. 1st -

http://www.actionagainstpoisoning.com/p ... gfood.html
eve
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eve »

This is why they waited for so long to recall - I read somewhere they they knew something was wrong since about Dec. 06?

http://forums.bellaonline.com/ubbthread ... ber=301046
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Red Dragon wrote:What kills me is this country is becoming mostly a consumer instead of the great producer it once was. I think it will change some day, but something really bad will have to cause it, like another world war!
Family farms have become unaffordable to keep, so in the last 50 years 80% of the crop producing family farms are now developed real estate.
Sometimes the Agricultural Dept gets snubbed for some of it's policies, such as paying a farmer NOT to grow a particular crop. Most people don't understand the big picture and how that is really necessary in the overall productivity of our nation, but it is.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

I got an email from Purina because I belong to the Pro Club, they said that the Mighty Dog pouches were the only food they recalled and it was voluntary, and they have had to reports of that food contaminated. That is the only food from Purina that was manufactured there, so Purina is a source for people to switch to safely.
Sam

sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

We had beautiful family owned farms north from here. It bothers me to drive through that area. Once beautiful black soil, farmhouses were torn down, turned into 'Industrial Parks'. Sick.

Re petfood, here's what one courageous woman in Beaufort S.C. did.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a ... 5109990018

If I had a car, I'd buy the IAMS that is still being sold at a discount store near where I live. The owner refuses to take if off the shelf. I called Menu foods, they say it's up to the store owner to take it off the shelf. He has about 50 cans. A buck each.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

eve
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eve »

sit_by_the_beach wrote:We had beautiful family owned farms north from here. It bothers me to drive through that area. Once beautiful black soil, farmhouses were torn down, turned into 'Industrial Parks'. Sick.

Re petfood, here's what one courageous woman in Beaufort S.C. did.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a ... 5109990018

If I had a car, I'd buy the IAMS that is still being sold at a discount store near where I live. The owner refuses to take if off the shelf. I called Menu foods, they say it's up to the store owner to take it off the shelf. He has about 50 cans. A buck each.

Karin
Can you call - the police, the local newspaper, the spca and the humane society, local politicians, friends and neighbors with or without pets.

Make an issue of it! Make sure the whole world knows. Make sure the owner knows about "word of mouth".

Doesn't menu foods buy back their bad products - Many companies do. Call them and press the issue. It will cost them more in the long run. And why - did they say - return the product to the stores???

Another thing I thought of would be, call the store and order all the food, give your credit card #, or ask to send a check, ask if delivery is available or take a taxi. All this is if it is affordable.

Question Authority!!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I was at the store earlier, I attached a sign warning customers of the dog food on his shelf. I thought to buy the cans he has on the shelf. He has more in boxes in the back. I can't go to his storage room. If I buy the cans, he's only going to restock the shelf.

I sent an email to health Canada, this dog food maybe a hazzard to someone's health.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

eve
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eve »

That's Great. Keep bringing it up if you can, til they do something.
Oh I forgot, is there something like a humane society or spca like there is in the us? Call them.

You're right, there's no telling how many cans or cases are stashed in the back room.
The store is being as bad as menu foods - just want to make more money.

Would the cost of that food put him out of business? I doubt it!

I just found this site that seems to gather tons of info.on this food thing: howl911.com
they also have a voluntary reported number of sick pets and fatalities which is constantly being added to.
I hope real people are reporting and not just the ones that want to get in on the lawsuits.

As I was searching for organic dog food (Paul Neuman makes some) I saw where a 100 million dollar lawsuit has been filed against menu foods.

Good Luck & Keep up the good work.