RAT POISON IN DOG FOOD POISON

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

eve
Rank 0
Rank 0

RAT POISON IN DOG FOOD POISON

Post by eve »

Just announced on tv news in st. petersburg fl - RAT POISON found in recalled pet foods.

IMHO - somebody? needs to be 'put down'!
Abuse thrives in Silence!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I just posted that in another thread. Didn't think about putting it in a new one. Rat Poison, what the **LL?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I didn't read any of it but so I can only guess, Chock another one up for Chinese imports.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Here is a link http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/23/pet.fo ... index.html

I hope the catch the murderer and slowly feed him rat poison, Well not really, I wouldn't want to get to his level.

David
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I do like your thinking dogdad!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Here's the full text:

Rat Poison Found in Tainted Pet Food
Updated 2:33 PM ET March 23, 2007

By MARK JOHNSON

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Rat poison was found in the pet food suspected of causing kidney failure that killed at least 16 cats and dogs, but scientists still don't know how it got there, state officials said Friday.

The toxin was identified as aminopterin, which is used to kill rats in some countries, state Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker said.

Aminopterin is not registered for killing rodents in the United States, according to the Environmental Protection Agency, though it is used as a cancer drug. State officials wouldn't speculate on how the toxin got into Menu Foods' now-recalled pet food but said no criminal investigations had been launched.

Scientists at the New York State Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell and at the New York State Food Laboratory tested three cat food samples provided by Menu Foods and found Aminopterin in two of them. Hooker said they would test individual components of the pet food, as well. The early test results were released to give veterinarians a better idea of how to treat sick animals.

"Any amount of this product is too much in food," Hooker said.

Aminopterin, also used as a cancer drug, is highly toxic in high doses. It inhibits the growth of malignant cells and suppresses the immune system.

In dogs and cats, it can cause kidney failure, according to Donald Smith, dean of Cornell University's College of Veterinary Medicine.

The Food and Drug Administration has said the investigation into the pet deaths was focusing on wheat gluten in the pet food. Wheat gluten itself would not cause kidney failure, but the common ingredient could have been contaminated, the FDA said.

Bob Rosenberg, senior vice president of government affairs for the National Pest Management Association, said he had never heard of the substance before Friday.

"It would make no sense to spray a crop itself with rodenticide," Rosenberg said, though he said grain shippers typically put bait stations around the perimeter of their storage facilities.

The pet deaths led to a recall of 60 million cans and pouches of pet food produced by Menu Foods and sold throughout North America under 95 brand names. There have been several reports of kidney failure in pets that ate the recalled brands, and the company has confirmed the deaths of 15 cats and one dog.

Menu Foods last week recalled "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food. The recall sparked concern among pet owners across North America. It includes food sold under store brands carried by Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway and other large retailers, as well as private labels such as Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba.

The company, already facing lawsuits, planned a media teleconference for later Friday, a spokesman said. It is majority owned by Menu Foods Income Fund of Streetsville.

A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes, descriptions and production dates was posted online by Menu Foods and is available at http://tinyurl.com/2pn6mm The company also designated two phone numbers that pet owners could call for information: (866) 463-6738 and (866) 895-2708.

A spokesman for New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo said he was not aware of any criminal investigation involving the tainted food. FBI spokesman Paul Holstein in Albany said Friday he was not aware of any FBI involvement in the case.

"I don't know where we'll go from here," he said.

___

Associated Press writer Andrew Bridges in Washington contributed to this report.

___

On the Net:

FDA pet food recall information: http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html

Menu Foods: http://tinyurl.com/2pn6mm

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Hey Moderator person, take the period off the web address and it might work. Boy Moderators.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Heard on a Toronto news station, there will be a company conference in one hour, 4:00pm EST. Vets can now treat the affected animals as the poison is known.

Wheat was treated with rat poison, spray. The wheat was imported from China.

http://www.680news.com/
http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

I don't understand that because Canada is a big wheat exporter. I guess it's cheaper from China.

AP, CP and CNN seem to carry the latest about the dog food problem.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

chris

Post by chris »

So what are the going to do now? They can't start making that stuff again until they find the source and clean it up.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Oh yea and Like I said before that List put out by Menu foods is out dated, Science Diet, Hills and Purina Pulled some foods after that list was put out and theres a few more that arn't on the list. I just consider it all canned and pouched foods no matter who puts it out. Purina Pulled Mighty dog after the list.

ImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Don't worry Chris, I'm sure Pekoe and Steel would have no problem with Taco bell or Arby's were covered.

ImageImage
chris

Post by chris »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Don't worry Chris, I'm sure Pekoe and Steel would have no problem with Taco bell or Arby's were covered.
Whewww.. thanks for putting my mind at ease jeff. :D ... however.. I wonder what the taco bell would do to Steels digestive system... Hey Jeff, are you going to come over and clean up the diareaha (sp?) off the carpet after Steel eats taco bell?
Last edited by chris on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Jeff&Peks wrote:I didn't read any of it but so I can only guess, Chock another one up for Chinese imports.
So far it's only speculation. We'll know more after 4pm EST

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Hey! Arby's is one of the girl's favorite! Nothing like a plain Jr to make the girl's drool!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I don't understand why no criminal investigation has been launched. Rat poisoning just doesn't accidentally get mixed in food of any kind. I just don't feel like they are treating this with the seriousness they should be because they are "just animals."

I am glad they have been able to pinpoint what is causing the problems. Hopefully they can at least provide better treatment for the ones that are still sick. My grandmother had a neighbor poison three of her shelties over the course of a few year (unfortunately she didn't realize the neighbor whom she talked to on a daily basis would be doing it until the third one) and I know that poisoned animal are not easy to treat even when the vet knows what they are dealing with.

I see a very large lawsuit for someone in the near future. I feel awful for the people who have lost there pets because of this.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

The kidney failure in the pets may have been caused by ratpoison which was used to treat wheat. The contaminated wheat was imported to Canada or US. Pet food is not regulated by the Canadian gov't. In the US it is.

The Menu Foods owners have since changed suppliers of wheat.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"Hey Jeff, are you going to come over and clean up the diareaha (sp?) off the carpet after Steel east taco bell?"

Chris just to see you in your power puff girls jamies and furry slippers with curlers in your Hair, I would clean up anything. I will even Shampoo the carpets for you.

ImageImage
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Lou wrote:State officials wouldn't speculate on how the toxin got into Menu Foods' now-recalled pet food but said no criminal investigations had been launched.[/color]
Are they serious??? Someone poisons cats and dogs and there are not planning on doing anything!!! aargg!
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

News conference was wrapped up at 4:30om. Menu Foods thanks all stock holders and customers for their loyal support. Back to business. Stocks rose 26% today. Menu Foods still claim that they don't know how the rat poison got into their food.

Maybe US news will say something different. What a bunch of scambags.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

They are going to say it had to be put in the food from a worker or someone just to covers their butts in the suit.

ImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Given how widespread this was - it doesn't sound like someone accidently tipped over a 6oz box of rat poison...wouldn't it take hundreds of pounds? that's not an accident - maybe it was some dumba$$ way of trying to get rid of all the animals in China since they are being criticized about beating the dogs to death - only they poisoned the wheat going to Canada instead of some local Chinese brand? :evil:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

It only takes a very small amount of poison to kill a cat. I found that out with my beautiful Tazzy. I t does sound suspicious though. It could have been a disgruntled worker, for all they know.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Jeff, the only thing I saw recalled by Purina was Mighty Dog, did you see something else?
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

sit_by_the_beach wrote:The kidney failure in the pets may have been caused by ratpoison which was used to treat wheat. The contaminated wheat was imported to Canada or US. Pet food is not regulated by the Canadian gov't. In the US it is.

The Menu Foods owners have since changed suppliers of wheat.

Karin
This is what a Toronto radio station announced. It was no accident.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Red Dragon, No I said Mighty dog, a friend of mine called them yesturday they and thier website says Mighty dog only.

ImageImage