Walkin' the Dog..

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Walkin' the Dog..

Post by TJordan »

So me and Mr. Butters went for a walk. We were doing a round at he park when I see 2 older ladies approaching with 2 little weiner dogs. So trying to be polite, I take Butters off the sidewalk and into the grass about 6 feet. He stopped to mark a tree as the ladies and dogs passed. I had his leash cinched tight and he couldn't go anywhere (no room to roam). So they come walking by with their flexi leashes and about 8-10 foot of leash. The little dogs get over by Butters and start growling at him. He made a move as if to jump at them. (One of those just to make you flinch type jumps). Then one of the ladies had the nerve to say to me "you better reign him in". Can you even believe it??? So trying to be a better person (cause believe me had I even opened my mouth it would have turned ugly, and wasn't sure Butters could take both weiner dogs and one old lady) I just walked away. But Some people really piss me off!!!! Just had to vent.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I know exactly what you mean. Not only do they fail to control their "little Darlings" but some of them don't seem to be strong enough to do so. And they have no concept how to really train a dog, I saw a woman this morning also with a dachshund, (a minature I think) and the dog was growling at PEOPLE, and instead of giving it a good sharp correction she's petting it and talking NICE to it. Hello! Can we say reward the dog for bad behavior?

I've begun to go the other way when I see a little dog and I've got my two, Firesong and Dreamdancer only want to play but these little dogs are undisciplined monsters.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

You are much better than I would be. I tend to tell people the way it is, or at least the way I see it, LOL
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Well, I typically would have spoken my mind. But it would have ended up looking like my (chow the monster) was attacking these people. And you know everyone in the park would have wanted to lynch me and my dog, for picking on old ladies and little dogs!!!!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I know what you mean. My hubbie and I were walking Millie and this little Pom type dog was on a flexi-leash. Came running up to Millie, barking and snarling at her. Millie sit down on my foot and just stares at the dog then me, then the dog (etc etc) as if to say 'whats this all about' It's owner comes rushing up to us saying 'keep that mean chow away from my baby' then the homeless man gets in on the action with 'yeah those chows are well mean' I was totally speachless! What on earth had Millie done? The other dog was soooo aggressive towards her and she didn't even respond, I mean HELLO! It drives me nuts
Thank you Elodie!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I know, It sounds rude but I rarly walk Pekoe out of the way of another dog walker, Pekoe dosn't pay attention to other dogs, most of the time if anything she will stop and look but Pekoe isn't the problem so if the other person has a problem let them move over. If the other dog causes a problem and the people get mad I say, Who came to who Control your dog mine didn't do anything. But ya gotta watch the old ladies with the yapper dogs. Plus most people when they see a Chow coming will cross the street a block away so I've never really had a problem.

I only came in to this post becouse I thought you were singing that song, Walkin the dog.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Jeff, that is funny. I didn't even think of the song.

I am glad that I am not the only one with this problem. I am also sick of people saying, Oh, we better stay away so he doesn't eat you. It just makes me not like little dogs that much more. Plus, everytime we went to the dog training building he would get jumped by one of those little darling (as Victory called them). PEOPLE ARE CRAZY
Aslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aslan »

Jeff&Peks wrote:I know, It sounds rude but I rarly walk Pekoe out of the way of another dog walker, Pekoe dosn't pay attention to other dogs, most of the time if anything she will stop and look but Pekoe isn't the problem so if the other person has a problem let them move over. If the other dog causes a problem and the people get mad I say, Who came to who Control your dog mine didn't do anything. But ya gotta watch the old ladies with the yapper dogs. Plus most people when they see a Chow coming will cross the street a block away so I've never really had a problem.

I only came in to this post becouse I thought you were singing that song, Walkin the dog.

I am with Jeff&Pek on this one. If anyone has a problem with my Chow, bring it. One time, this guy was running in the park, and he came out of no where out of a sudden. He almost ran into me and the dog. And he said "Watch where you put that dog." So, I let my baby sit down under a tree and I would jump in front of that guy everytime he run around. I was waiting for him to say something else to me. He left the park. :postit-evil:
Aslanchow
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Like David - I tell people how it is!
They seem to think their little mutts are allowed to roam - as bad are the people who want their little dogs "to make friends!! :shock: " and they have this squirt of a Jack Russell screeching at us, reared up on its hind legs using language that I am glad I don't understand and M & M standing there with their eyes boggled wondering what the hell is going on! I hate those ones.
I feel like saying, "Go find another dog for your squirt to swear at". :roll:
Stupid people.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I would have gave the ol bag whatfor as well. I control my dogs, and if other people's dogs are the problem and try to make it mine, I have no problem pointing out the obvious.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I don't think God divided up the common sense fairly, seems to me that if I had a Little Darling and someone with a bigger dog got off the trail, to let me pass....... that I might raine my little darling in closer to me in case the owner knew something I didn't.............. COMMON SENSE, completely frustrating isn't it :lol: :lol:

SO I guess if you would said something to her, she still wouldn't have gotten it..........so why bother :roll:
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I let Ivana stay just where she is as well. She is not the bad seed. She normally ignores other animals. Kinda turns her nose up. Unless they bite (and of course those little ankle biters do!). Then normally she growls they complain.... you know the story. Except this is me we are talking about so of course I open my mouth and let them have it.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Happens all the time here. I am in the wrong though. I walk my dog through a gated all chinese community. I am on their territory, and they own these pesky little thingamejics, can't control them. Mikki chow ignores them. The little mutt gets really mad being ignored and start attacking me, that's when I get verbal.

Oh do I wish we had american laws and were allowed to carry pepper spray or bear spray................it's considered a weapon here. Do you want another state? We have lots of natural resources, potential terrorists, cajun french a la north, poisoned pet food, good grief, I better quit.

JUST A WALKING THE DOG
IT YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Its illegal in some states too. It just depends on where in the U.S. that you live.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The worst one but always my favorate, Is the off leash dogs, I love it when peoples dogs come running to Pekoe and they yell out don't worry my dogs friendly and I yell back thats great but my dog isn't friendly, they panic and say OMG and start calling thier dog back. Pekoe usally doesn't care unless the dog gets in her face but as Chris Says ITS THE PRINCIPLE.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I smuggled some pepperspray across the border. It was confiscated, my luck.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

One woman in this area let's her pitbull run offleash. Always around 6pm when she gets home from work. He's not a nice dog and has bitten other dogs. He was afraid of Luna, Luna was not easily intimidated. I worry about Mikki chow, she's so meek. Karin
Last edited by sit_by_the_beach on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I'll have to remember that one jeff. That does happen a lot. You can see in Butters face "why can't i run free". Because I give a *Censored Word*. Otherwise you could be free to roam. Except everyone knows a roaming chow would probably get shot on site. People Piss me off Sometimes!!.

I'm loving the responses to this. I use to tell people with little dogs to "Get a real dog".
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

TJordan wrote:I'll have to remember that one jeff. That does happen a lot. You can see in Butters face "why can't i run free". Because I give a *Censored Word*. Otherwise you could be free to roam. Except everyone knows a roaming chow would probably get shot on site. People Piss me off Sometimes!!.

I'm loving the responses to this. I use to tell people with little dogs to "Get a real dog".
Please don't tell people that, they may do get a real dog, and can't handle the dog.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Very True, They are already lacking common sense.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Jeff&Peks wrote:The worst one but always my favorate, Is the off leash dogs, I love it when peoples dogs come running to Pekoe and they yell out don't worry my dogs friendly and I yell back thats great but my dog isn't friendly, they panic and say OMG and start calling thier dog back. Pekoe usally doesn't care unless the dog gets in her face but as Chris Says ITS THE PRINCIPLE.
:lol: Excellent idea! I just hate the fact that they can't seem to see that their yappy little 'darling' is the trouble maker. Esp. when they then pick it up and walk off trying to comfort it :wall:
Thank you Elodie!
chris

Post by chris »

Yeah, believe me... I know it's the little ones who start it... aka Roxi the Truble maker. As a matter of fact, she does things deliberatly to get Steel into trouble. Like FAKE an injury YIPE... :roll:

Anyway, I would have said something to the Lady Like, "your the one with a 10 foot leash, get control of your rat Lady." or.. "My chow was just warning your little Hotdog that he is going to eat him for lunch if he doesn't get out of his face, don't you know chowneese?" (did I spell that right?)

Plus.. it's the principle of it. :wink:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Karin, carry a walking stick. I call it a walking stick, but like many things, it has 101 uses...
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I do own a cane. When neighbours see me with one, I have to answer a million questions, are you o.k. dear? Did you have hip surgery, did you break your wrist again. I already wear a splint. Wear glasses, OMG, I have to face facts, I am a senior.
A jogging, biking, tennis playing junior senior, I no longer use my inline skates, broke the wrist. :wink:
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I've always like those Teak or redwood Canes/walking sticks they sell in gift shops when your on long trips, I think the Discovery Store has them.

I always found that no matter how you hurt yourself or what ever the injury say it was a skiing accedent. People love that. I Got got hurt Skiing sounds better then I tripped in the driveway.

Braking a wrist on Inline skates goes along with Inline skating and snow boarding you can't do one with out the other.

ImageImage