Protective Chow Mix

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Teddys mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Protective Chow Mix

Post by Teddys mom » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:15 pm

We adopted an 8 month old chow mix(black tongue, tail over back) 6 days ago. He spent all his life at a rescue shelter until we adopted him. I believe he was socialized by going to Petco.'s etc.. He settled in here very well and minds us as asked of him. We also adopted a shepherd mix which he gets along very well with. However, we had company overnight and when "Teddy" first saw them, he growled and barked and became very standoffish. These are dog loving people so no reason not to like them. Today, the man went out to our barn where my husband and Teddy were. Teddy once again growled at him. The man didn't push the issue and walked calmly back to the house. Teddy proceeded to follow him--not hurridly but walked behind him to the house. When the couple were ready to leave, we had Teddy on a leash and held him about 10 feet from them. He started to growl but when I told him "no", he quit. This happened several times but he ended up no longer growling. He seems to already have associated our farm with his territory and acts as tho he is guarding it. Does this behavior come from his chow lineage and should we be overly concerned about his behaviour? I took him to the vet on Wednesday and he was very good. This seems to be only occuring while on our property.
Thanks for any suggestions. I'm already planning on obedience for him.

kingalls

Post by kingalls » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:25 pm

Did you read about Chows first before adopting? Did the rescue place advise you of the Chow behavior? Teddy has adopted you and your farm now. He is protecting you and his territory. This isn't going to change - they were bred to guard and protect.

Karen

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:37 pm

I think Teddy is guarding your farm and you.
He has at last been invited to share a home with you - he minds what you say to him - you now have to return the compliment and mind what he is saying.
He isn't going to let anybody hurt you or his home.
Just take care and make sure he doesn't take his guarding too far! :)
He has only been with you 6 days and he must think his luck is really in after a shelter.
With firm handling and making sure he is kept a strict eye on until he has become secure in his environment, all should be well. But never forget he is part Chow and will guard his people and his home.
Good luck! :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)

Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:39 pm

As nobody agrees with my methods
(As everybody in here is using the same method)
I won't say my opinion on this. :)
If you read what it say in the other topic and thinks positiv training is something for you, then I can give you advice. :)

Teddys mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Teddys mom » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:54 pm

Thanks to all for the information :D . I was somewhat aware of the Chow behavour as we thought we had owned a Chow mix in the past. I knew they would be protective which is what we wanted. I believe my concerns are that he doesn't carry it too far--especially when we have friends over. He has already made great progress and I can't express how much I am growing to love this new boy.

If anyone wishes to offer suggestions on training Teddy I will be more than willing to hear them and appreciate your time.