It's really to soon for this.............

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am so glad that that he is doing better. I would be irked too at that comment. I am really lucky, my vet will help keep my furkids around as long as possible providing that they aren't suffering. He always said when otono was aging, you will know when it is time. In the meantime lets do what we can to prolong that time.

David
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I am switching him to Solid Gold Holistic, and get him off the higher protein food the others eat. I'm open to suggestions on a new diet for him if the Holistic isn't doing enough."

While the entire Solid Gold line contains no added salt or animal fat, the 'Holistique Blendz' is basically a base to which you add a fresh meat of choice. Beef hearts (taurine) are usually recommended for a cardio diet, in addition to several cardio-support supplements. Before getting into the topic of diet and supplements, it's also important to know if there are metabolic problems or other disorders, intestinal problems, yeast overgrowth, etc., causing Hunter to *lose* taurine instead of metabolize it. I'll post some cardio nutritional research after your ultrasound follow-up when we move this conversation to one of the health forums.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

So glad to hear Hunter is better. Sending healing thoughts your way....

Leonora & mum
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Lots of thoughts to Hunter to improve!

Sharon, JR and Cheyenne

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
eve
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eve »

Sojourner11 - You sound like a great mom. With a great deal of strength.

Take you time (he's ok right now). So much can change in a day - and you want to give the meds time.

I feel that he will be able to live a satisfying life with you.

Feels unsafe to leave him with that mentality. Really, a vet and a kennel owner/manager - not good for business.

I would have blurted out that I would rather adopt a matue pet!

Off the subject, I am from Atlanta, born and raised. I go back about 10 times a year. Tampa is just like Atl. and St. Petersburg is a Big Buckhead. Of course, walls of condos disgust me (not pretty) can't see or get to the water anymore.

Give your baby boy a hug for me. I feel like I'm right there.
Abuse thrives in Silence!
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

eve wrote:Sojourner11 - You sound like a great mom.
He's a great DAD indeed! :wink:
eve
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eve »

Oops, sorry.

I just never hear of many males with compassion.
Maybe I just don't bring that out in them.

Good Daddy!!!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Eve it is understandable, names are deceiving. I thought Lou was a man... sorry Lou... :oops:

David
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

eve wrote:Oops, sorry.

I just never hear of many males with compassion.
Maybe I just don't bring that out in them.

Good Daddy!!!
Yep, just your "overly sensitive when it comes to my furkids" kinda bachelor. :D
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Men have lots of compassion, some don't show it, some don't post on boards about animals. I know my son wouldn't. I have left instructions pasted to the fridge door that if anything ever happens to me, to come to this group. Whatever money it takes to find Mikki and cats a home, to pay it out of my life insurance. He would come here, one post, end of the story. He has compassion for pets, won't show it. Strange guy I raised. I should have made him play with dolls when he was 2 or 3, oh well he did have a GI Joe. That's a doll.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

eve
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eve »

Oh, no, not dolls. Smack him up side the head.

I have a handyman that loves my kids - among the very, very few people that Smoak gets along with.
The first thing he would do is make sure the kids are taken care of.

I just meant that I don't bring out any compassion in men.
I know they got it. Most just won't let it show.

Too bad, it looks so good on them.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Those commente would've irked me as well. How incredibly rude. I'm sorry that they behaved that way, it must've been really difficult in an already difficult visit. Hugs to Hunter.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LuLu33 »

Oh man....I'm just catching up on the posts, I hope hunter is ok!
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Had the ultrasound done yesterday and all they can determine is that he has small masses on his heart, liver, and spleen. They now want to do a Cushings disease test which they tell me runs all day. And then decide what course of treament to take. I'll have to set it up for next week. He was doing great, kinda back to his old self but does seem to tire out sooner.

She said he didn't appear to have an enlarged heart, but his liver was.

All in all I didn't get much out of it, except to rule out anything big inside, like a grapefruit sized tumor. And that more tests need to be run.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Ugh, I don't know what to say. The waiting is so awful, I hope you get answers soon, positive answers. Hugs to Hunter. He gets to stay home in the meantime though right? Try to get some rest, try to put the test out of your mind. I know that's easier said than done, we're all thinking about you. [:D]
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
eve
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eve »

I read a little on this site. It seems to explain things fairly clearly. Check it out.

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html

I can only imagine what you're feeling - my 18+ year old is in very bad condition. We have been together way long.

I wish you and Hunter the very best.
HemiCuda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HemiCuda »

we had a cat ( our first one ever) that had a enlarged heart problem, i came home one day to him having trouble breathing and weezing, we took him to an e.r vet who convinced us that it was too late for him and that it was the humane thing to do, to put him down ( man was i and still can be a wreck over the whole thing :cry: )
any who,
my point is that maybe this is a blessing in disguise, you now know about the problem and have meds for him and look he's getting better! :D ( i was so happy to read that :D ) so I'll pray for him and for your family, hope everything works out. :wink:

Salem i'll see you at the bridge babby.
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

I don't know where to begin....

After the tests of Tuesday he seemed a little slow and lethargic, but after a while he seemed to get his strength back, eating treats, cheese, and canned Solid Gold food.

I debated back and forth whether or not to take this trip for work over the last two days. But after he seemed to perk up I decided to get it over with as I didn't have anything really else coming up. I would spend at least the next two weeks keeping a close watch on him, and continuing to shower him with attention and affection. When I dropped them off on Thursday morning they all seemed excited to be going someplace, as they don't get out much here. I scratched Hunter's nose and head all the way to the kennel, about an hour long ride with traffic. His big brown eyes staring at me the whole time only closing them when I really got down on his nose, you could tell he thought it felt good. That would be the last time I would seem him alive.

I got the call today, this afternoon from the kennel owner that Hunter died today in his sleep.

:_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

I can't believe it.....and since I screwed up my flight reservation and had to drive back from Raleigh, I've had the past 6 hours to lament the decision to leave him and take the trip. I can't explain what I'm feeling right now, all I can say is that my soul is sad, cold, and empty.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Oh no. I am so sorry for your loss. Run free sweet Hunter.
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Oh no Sojourner!! :cry: :cry:
I'm so, so very sorry to hear about Hunter, I was so hoping he'd pull out of this.

Please don't blame yourself for going on the trip, it was just his time. I don't really know what to say except I'm very sorry and I'll be thinking of you.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I never really know what to say When things like this happen so I usally don't say anything, I always think the person is going through so much pain words arn't going to help. It is terrible this happened after all you did for hunter and put eveything you had into him but I wouldn't blame yourself. If it is any help He did die a pieceful death in his sleep. I think we all hope for that when we have to face something like this.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

So sorry to hear about Hunter :(
Thank you Elodie!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

[-o| We're saying a prayer for you.
Run free across the Bridge, Hunter!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

So very sorry to hear this.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Oh, no..... So sorry to hear of your loss. Don't blame yourself, just remember the good times you had together. Hunter is lucky he had you. You are lucky you had Hunter.

Run free, Hunter, run free...

Big Hugs,
Leonora & mum