The Colonel's first walk in public...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

The Colonel's first walk in public...

Post by bama »

Colnel got the tour of his 7-acre playground, there is a total of 26 acres along the river, but he seems quite content to simply lay at his daddy's feet! Colonel is not a "romper". It amazes me that he was ever running free on the streets. I believe something unfortunate must have happened to his human.
The Colonel has no desire to get up on the furniture (which would be fine), or run around inside.
It appears The Colonel LOVES to go for walks...he gets excited when he hears the jingle of his leash!
He has gone on a walk down the road where there are other residents along the river. The Colonel is too interested in walking with dad to pay them or their dogs any mind!
Only one small incident...a border terrier rushed up to snip at Colonel. I was able to grab the BT before it actually bit Colonel. Of course, Colonel was the perfect gentleman and simply walked away. What a sweetie!
I am so impressed with this lovable little guy, all he wants to do is please his daddy! I'm sure that he'll warm up to me in time. But, I get the impression that his former human was a man, who loved him very much, and also walked him daily.
Our girls are happy, no fears and no change in dynamics, except that they are happy to have a big brother.
Last edited by bama on Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Bama How wonderful!!! It sounds like he is daddies little boy. I am glad the girls are enjoying their new brother.

David
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Colonel and Mom will have their time together to bond when Dad has to fly those giant jets again.

Alan also mentioned how Colonel smiled, wagged and grunted when he heard the leash.

Your residence sounds like heaven....this is going to be one happy Chow.

Sharon
Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

What a good boy, every time you post I just get more, and more happier for you. He must have been very well taken care of in the past. Congratulations again.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Not to put a damper on things but It does sound like he was really well taken care of. I didn't read all those post about him except he was found walking around a complex. Did anyone ever try to find the owner, I would hate to think someone is missing a Chow like that and still looking for him. We all know how we would feel if our Chow was missing. His temperment and grooming condition dosn't sound like he was just dumped. Has he been scaned for a Microchip?
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Just wonderful - I am so happy for you and especially for The Colonel!

:lol: :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Thanks everyone! :D :D

Jeff,
I understand exactly what you are saying and I agree.
The Colonel was well loved.
Judging from Colonel's actions, I get the impression that he must have lived in an apartment, possibly the highrises where he was found.
During my discussion with Greg, the shelter director, he told me that they hold the animals for several days...forgot the amount (maybe 5 days?). From my understanding, there are only two shelters in that town.
According to Jan, (rescuer) he had been wandering the area (it's a village setting) around the high rises for 2-3 weeks prior to being rescued and then turned into the shelter. There were no, "lost" signs posted in the area searching for him. Greg said no one had called reporting a lost chow and no one called during the shelter's grace period.
I can't help but wonder if something tragic happened to Colonel's human? Whadda do? Colonel seems very happy now, and that is a blessing. I'm sure the streets were a tough place to be for a pushover like him!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Hi Jeff

The shelter was not a shelter rather the County dog pound , Largest in Ohio All the dog wardens and city animal control office is there . They have their strict policies including checking on dog tags ect. they are profesional and all normal things are checked. We are not that backwards in the mid west.
Alan

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
emmapeel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by emmapeel »

BAMA: FYI your thoughts that The Colonel lived in the building where he was found. I can assure you that he did not live here and had never been seen here before. If he had, I would have known him. All dog owners know each other here. Where I live it's two condo buildings on 17 landscaped acres. We are a gated community on Lake Erie. Most people don't even take their dogs out of our property to walk them. So we all know each other and if someone had died here we would know that too, and in addition we would be all over it if there was a dog involved who was abandoned due to the death of their owner. We have all kinds of staff, concierge, etc. So this doesn't involve anyone here.
Jan, The Colonel's godmother

In addition: to Jeff&Peks: Of course I tried to find his owner! There was no one looking for him. No signs posted in the neighborhood, no inquiries, nothing in the paper. This is a very small village - population 1,200, and if anyone was looking for him our police department would have known about it. No one called the police about him. There is no Chow owner looking for him around here. It's clear that he was someone's dog though.
Last edited by emmapeel on Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I would suggest Bama, that you just get on with loving him now - it seems that something has happened - sad - but there is no point dwelling on it now. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Alan and Sharon wrote:Hi Jeff

The shelter was not a shelter rather the County dog pound , Largest in Ohio All the dog wardens and city animal control office is there . They have their strict policies including checking on dog tags ect. they are profesional and all normal things are checked. We are not that backwards in the mid west.
Alan
Yea I know, They showed allot of professionalism when the head of the place came out in the news saying he didn't like Chows, It has nothing to do with the Mid-West its shelters(pound)in general. But either way Colonel has a good home and he look's overly happy about the whole situation so that's all that matter's. How can colonel complain he has his own national park and river in the backyard.

West-Coast, East-Coast or Midwest the shelter is only as good as the person thats running it.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Jeff
You must not have read my post on me going to the pound and picking up the Colonel
They went out of their way to help this dog and to accomidate our schedual. The medical care alone was over $100.00 and the charge was $45.00 plus a dog tag.

To bad you prefere to quote something instead of knowing the facts.

Alan

JR AND CHEYENNE

emmapeel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by emmapeel »

Alan and Sharon: Your dogs look great! One red and one black. What are their names? Is that your backyard?
Jan (The Colonel'es godmother as you know by now I'm sure)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

To bad you prefere to quote something instead of knowing the facts.

I wasn't even going to respond but you had to write that.

I read the facts both times, You posted how terrible it was that the head of the shelter hated Chows and everyone was up in arms how terrible it was. You posted the fact not me. Now they are professional I read that fact also, if they changed thier attitude great.
None of this has anything to do with the Colonal, he's happy now thats all that counts. all I ask was about the previouse owner. I hope no one ever has to go through what Sojourner11 went through and as still going through. I would rather have Pekoe dead then missing. No need to get all excited, no big deal.

Its the Colonels first walk go back to the thread no need for Human Praise.

ImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

BAMA I'm SOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU AND COLONEL!!!! HE SOUNDS LIKE SUCH A SWEETY!!!! AWWWWWW
Guess he is showin' some love to Daddy for driving all that way to get him!!!! Such a GOOD DADDY!!! I'm just glad the girls don't mind, YEA!!!!
I think I would be happy to walk there too!!!GIve him some lovin' from me and Kearra!!!!

Jeff, you just stay your butt in trouble don't ya???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

bama, i am so happy for you all. what a bittersweet ending. who knows what happened to the colonel with his previous owner. he/they are who made the colonel the dog he is today. you are very special people, and the colonel knows that he is in his forever home.
keep the posts and pics coming!!!
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

So glad he's enjoying his new home and his dad. LOL he'll bond with mom, when it's just the four of them, (little sisters)
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Hey Gang!

I was in Puerto Rico on business while this whole thing went down, sorry I missed all the excitement. I read the "Sweet Home" thread last night and got caught up on this and what an amazing story.

1st..Bama, congratulations, I mean WOW! The Colonel (not big on that name BTW :P ) looks like such an handsome devil. His pix floored me right on the spot. After all you have been through looking for your furkid and to end up with such a absolutely beautiful Chow!! HIGH FIVES AND HUGS ALL AROUND!!!

2nd ..Jan, welcome! To hear your story and what you did for this guy, well I can't express how thankful I am to know that people like you still exist. Ironically, I have both a Beagle Basset mix, AND and Border Coliie...errr...(well whatever she is) named Emma who I call Emma Peel. Weird huh? Anyway, you were so awesome to stand against that armed idiot rent-a-cop and save his life for the second time, the 1st being just getting him off the street. Please post an address so we may send that jackass some well deserved hate mail.

3rd..Alan, good job on the pickup up and having the will power to hand him over, lol. I know it had to be tough. Had I been in your place, I might be living in another state by now with a new identity with my 5(FIVE)dogs.

lastly...Jeff. Yes, I thought the same thing after a minute of staring at the photo of him in the car seat. Hit me so hard I had to delete my entire post and "detach" (something I have become a master in doing as of late). I wanted to sleep on it before posting, try to clear my head and search my heart on this matter. And here is what I have decided....that is a topic for another post/discussion. I do not want to take away from Bama's joy of her new furkid, and (without going into any great detail) I feel in my heart that he was meant to go to Bama. Call it God's will.
emmapeel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by emmapeel »

Sojourner11: Thanks for your post. Emma Peel was my partner in investigations while in NYC. She did great work as a K-9 P.I. I had her from a puppy and unfortunately she was a victim to cancer and died 11/21/005, after 11-1/2 great years. Now I have Olivia Basset Hound who is very good at luring charming and lost Chow's. If you ever need her, she's available. I think it's a great idea to write a complaint about this guard that the condo for some reason have not fired. I guess we must have an awful lot of liability insurance that I'm not aware of.

If anyone should care to pen a complaint to the board about having a "security" guard who threatened to shoot The Colonel - or any dog apparently, here you go. The more the better.

One Bratenahl Place Condominium
attn: Board of Directors
1 Bratenahl Place
Bratenahl, Ohio 44108
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Hey Guys,

The Dog warden that was in question months ago was the dog warden of Cleveland...not Cuyahoga county. He was an idiot and we can't change it!
We got Cheyenne and JR from the Cleveland pound which has lots more dogs and many of them there are found in the really bad areas,in industrial yards and garbage dumps. Cleveland proper has some really, really bad areas...we had riots here in the 70's and not much has changed. The Cleveland pound just upgraded their facility in the last 2 years and are trying to make things better and they are and for their size and all their animals, they do a pretty good job. I was very pleased with the way they took care of JR and Cheyenne. JR came home from the older facility and was in great shape. Poor Cheyenne was really abused and they did what they could to help her.

The Cuyahoga protective League is smaller, newer and impressive...the dog warden in ? is not there.
Who knows what the Colonels backround is....there are always lots of lost and found posted in the paper and elsewhere....if the Colonels people wanted to find their Chow...they would have! They didn't...so he is where he should be....thank goodness!

Peace...Sharon =}=

JR AND CHEYENNE

Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Jan,

JR {Jay Are} is my 9 1/2 year old black Chow....I got him when he was 7 months old from the Cleveland Pound. He is really affectionate and a Mr. Knowit All!

Cheyenne is our almost 5 year old red/cinnamon. Alan brought her home 14 months ago from the Cleveland Pound. Poor little girl was thrown out because she could not produce a litter and that was from her 2nd home. The pound spayed her and sent her home with us.

They both love to spend lots of time in the back yard...and the Chagrin metroparks.

Alan moved to Cleveland almost 4 years ago and I still haven't shown him the Bratenhal area....you reminded me...that I need to do that.

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Rescues history....one will never know

Post by LuLu33 »

When I rescued Moses he knew lots of tricks and it was just obvious he had been someone's pet. I wondered too how he found himself living outside at a cat shelter for 3 months before Chow Rescue saved him. Many ads were placed in several papers and he (like Colonel) was not yet neutered and Moses had a real bad case of heartworm. It cost a lot of money for the treatment that he almost didn't survive. His long term medical costs were high. Sigh...
But oh I loved him so!!!!!

Sherill, Didn't you say suspect Colonel needs entropian surgery? I have to wonder when we find a great pet like this if that perhaps someone found out of these poor chows health issues couldn't afford to fix them and dumps them off. I hate to think that way but it does happen. Just a thought that crossed my mind....

In any case, it was meant to be, he was meant to be yours and you will care for him and love him and give him the best forever home for him to live out the rest of his years. I'm so happy for you!!!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Yes, Colonel's eyes are very bad. We have a vet appointment in 30 minutes. His eyes have been bad for a good little while. In one eye he appears to have some blindness. He is a young guy and is suffering.
Mark and I will tend to his every little need, no matter the cost. That's what one does for their children, right?

I do feel sad for the previous owner, but after Mark and I talked it through, we decided that we should give more credit to The Colonel, himself. He is just a sweet boy, the previous owner was lucky to have had the chance to know him and be loved by him. To give the previous owner all the credit for The Colonel being sweet, isn't fair to Colonel. To be fair to The Colonel is to take care of his medical needs, and give him all the love he can stand!!! :wink:

More later...gotta go to vet!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

YOU GO GIRL
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Well said, fingers crossed that his eyes can be helped.
dogdad