Too Hot

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Too Hot

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:14 pm

It is fall and the temp outside get to be about 50 degree during the day and down to th 30's at night. Chingy obviousely sleeps in the house at night but in the day spends alot of time outside because he gets too hot inside.He plays with Koda and I bring him in periodically to play but he will just start panting like crazy. I feel so bad for him. Our house is kept about 72 degrees. I really want him in more, other than making out house cooler, is there any other ideas? He has water all the time but I have two young kids and can't drop the temp too low.
Koda has a problem with his lungs which makes it so he cannot be in the house for more then a couple minutes before he starts hyperventilating. It is sort of a pre asthma thing. I was hoping that Chi-Ching would be in the house more but I hate seeing him pant so much.
Any ideas would be great?

kingalls

Post by kingalls » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:36 pm

I hestiate to even walk Shiloh and Mr. N when it's 72 outside. Shiloh sleeps in the family room with the sliding glass door open. Mr. N sleeps in the garage with the window open. I would love to have them both sleep inside but Shiloh owns the room and won't have Mr. N in it when it's bedtime. For both, the evening temps in both areas will drop into the 50's- minimum. They are Chows - cold temps are their preference. Fortunately, we have a two story and we are warmer upstairs. When it's time to go downstairs in the morning, we "dress up" in sweatshirts and other warm wear.
I understand it's difficult with kids in the house but Chows really do best in cool weather....please remember that when the weather turns warmer in the spring and summer...as much as they might want to run - if the weather is warm, you need to keep their activities low key as the heat will not be good for them.
...of course, when the weather is cool - don't be surprised when then don't want to come in to the house! Previous posts have shown that owners have a difficult time getting their Chows in from the snow banks! :D

Karen

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:45 pm

Is it okay for him to be outside so much at only 9 weeks old though? That is what I am concerned about.

kingalls

Post by kingalls » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:11 pm

Mr. N was born in Edmonton, Canada in January. He and his family were kept in an outside kennel. I think they will be okay :lol:
When I got him at 9 weeks here in California, I was worried it might be too warm :lol: .

Karen

Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:24 am

Chewie is an inside Chow. He loves being outside but he would prefer to be with us where ever we are. He has a cool space in the basement (kind of a cave) where he has a cement floor which he loves, a fan blowing on him and his water right next to him. We also often give him ice cubes if he starts panting and after a good long walk. That cools him right down. We also keep the screen in the front door all year round and if he walks up to the front door and gives us that look, we know that means "mom, please open the door and put my box up to it so I can sit tall and proud, defend my realm, and get some nice cold air... thank you." We keep a fan on all day for him, one upstairs, one downstairs so he has a place to go if he needs to cool down. We also have a cool pad (you can buy them online or at most pet stores) that you fill with cold water and helps them regulate their temp. We mostly use that when we are camping. Hope that helps!

Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:52 pm

This "problem" is quite simple to resolve. Get him a fan it will cool him down and just like my two they'll spend time more in front of it.

Shane
[/i]

carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:59 pm

Yesterday was the hottest day we have had in years and its not even summer yet, the temperature int the shade was over 100 the air felt like it was boiling, thank heaven my chows have very sheltered kennels where they can keep cool and lots of water to drink, heaven help yus if this is what our summer is going to be like. I will have to get them a swimming pool to play in, and even then the water will be to hot. To day is cooler and I am sure thay are much happier. and we will have rain tonight, WHATS HAPPENING TO THE WEATHER ON THE EARTH,.??
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:25 pm

I agree Carolyn... WEIRD weather.

It's november here in chicago which is normally just about freezing and today it was 76 degrees F! I could have shorts and sandals on it's so warm. I have no idea what is going on and it's definitely strange!

Mandy

pkfleck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pkfleck » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:51 pm

Global Warming! That's what it is. I'm lucky up here in Alaska. Today it snowed all day for the first time. It's not sticking though. It's a rain forest so you can imagine how much snow we're going to get. You should all move up here! :P :idea: Well, I guess that's not always possible. Good luck staying cool!

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:27 pm

Our house is 120 years old and a bit drafty, but Lily has found a favorite spot by the front door to our screened in porch. She plops in front of it and works like a draft sock...lol. The porch is a better choice yet, but she gets too excited and pees from all the activity from the busy road. We live in the middle of a little hamlet so there's plenty to see and do. Mandy is right. I live about 100 miles north of chicago and it was unusually balmy
today. Lily was sleeping right in the middle of our gravel driveway, I had to tap the window to make sure she was still alive, she lay so still. I can't wait for a good snow tosee how Lil will act!