Can Anyone Tell Me???

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605@cmaaccess.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Can Anyone Tell Me???

Post by vicster605@cmaaccess.com »

Well, the fun never stops around here!!! It seems Kearra is having her first cycle!!!! Yea, so much for getting her spayed first :lol: :lol:
Can anyone tell me??? How long this will last??? She will be 8 mo. Feb.26th. Thought I had a little longer :lol:

Thought the big white German Sephard that lives at the end of our street, had just gotten out of his yard the other day, and was running the neighborhood with a young male puppy :roll: GUESS THEY WERE ON A MISSION :lol:
Tired of ALL THAT JAZZ ABOUT THE CHOW CHOW BREED!!!!
chris

Post by chris »

I think the cycle actualy lasts 3 weeks.. but there is only a 72 hour period (no pun intended) that she can get PG... I think... Kiwani will know more.. but I think thats it. :)
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Just like humans...each female is different therefore the following windows of time are approximate.

Actually, "estrus" (the heat cycle) comes into play every five to nine months and lasts an average of 21 days.
During the first 5 to 7 days, the female isn't so interested in actual mating as she is just flirting.
She may flirt to get his attention and then say, "no" by sitting down or growling at the suitor.
It is during the second phase of estrus when the luteinizing hormone (LH) rises and falls. Anytime during the approximate 10 day rise and fall of LH, that ovulation takes place. The LH rises quickly and then falls precipitously over the approximate 10 to 11 days, however the heat cycle has approximately 7 to 10 days left, but it's doubtful she will be "fertile" during this phase.

I hope that helps.

Bama
chris

Post by chris »

see.. just like I said. I only know there is a 72 hour time frame cuz we bread our first chow... we had to have the boy and girl together 2 - 3 times during that time frame. We only did it 2 times... I couldn't bare to see it the second time considering the 1st time seemed so tramatizing... at least to me it was... I will never watch that again... LOL...
vicster605@cmaaccess.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thanks Bama & Chris that helps ALOT.....I've never done this before and didn't want to either haha
Do you think Lily will go into heat too, since Kearra did???Humans tend to do that, just wondering if this happens in the animal world too???Not really sure why though......

Chris, I'm sure I will be seriously tramitized if a male gets into our yard :shock: I wouldn't want to see it either :lol: :lol: I don't think there is a way for one to get in BUT I know thoses males are pretty SLICK sometimes :lol: I'm keeping her inside mostly, she really isn't that messy, I wouldn't have known if she hadn't sat on white tile in my kitchen......
Would you believe the 2 dogs that came in our side yard the other day, AFTER I ran them off, one went to our front door and left me a present on my doormat, a nice juicy one, then my daughter came in from the store, stepped in it and well, I spent the afternoon cleaning carpet. I think he was mad at me :lol: DIRTY DOG!!
chris

Post by chris »

LMAO... see here they come... they can sense a female in heat from MILES away.. (I'm not really sure about that... but who knows... LOL) And you wouldn't let them in... what did you expect? :wink:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

You will have to watch her like a hawk - the dogs know what is happening and they will want to be in on the action.
They have no morals, those naughty dogs - and they can be so devious!! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

We had decided to let Gracie have her first heat before getting her spayed. Then of all things, my daughter moved back in with us with her male pug the same week Gracie went into heat. What an exhausting time! Didn't know if he could even reach her if he tried but you never know. Where theres a will theres a way, so we couldn't chance it.

I had her wearing panties inside, then would keep her inside most of the time. The poor thing would watch out the window and cry because the others were outside playing and she couldn't be. It was so sad. So I would take her outside for a bit. She had no desire to play, but she didn't want to be seperated either. She'd just sit outside and watch. I'd have to right there keeping him away from her.

She was so sensitive during this time. When inside, I'd sit in a chair and here she'd come, climb up and sit on my lap! Seriously! She didn't feel good, she wanted to play but she didn't want to play, she didn't seem to know what she wanted. So she spent a lot of time sitting on my lap. I was exhausted by the time her cycle was over and wishing I would have had her fixed BEFORE she went into heat.
When we made the decision to let her go into heat once we had no idea we'd have a male dog living with us. Could be he'd never be able to reach her anyway, but assuming he couldn't could have been a mistake so no way would I risk that. It all worked out and now I think we made the right decision.
vicster605@cmaaccess.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sweetpea, how funny, I smiled half the day thinking of the combo a Chow and a Pug :shock: And then how they could possibly manage to do that :lol: :lol:

You have no idea how thankful I am that my daughters boxer is a girl!!!!YEA!!!

I'm just glad there are no male Chow's around, those boys are too smart!!!!A friend of mind had a female Pitt and she went into heat, they kept running the male neighborhood dogs off, there was a red male Chow that came around, he saw the others get run off SOOOO he took the back way and came up through the woods.......Needless to say GUESS WHO GOT THE GIRL haha
Inside is Best, Right Judy :wink:
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

lol, I'd tell my daughter she had to keep a close eye on her guy because I'm not having any little puggly chows running around here. I insisted she make him an appointment to get him fixed up right away. Got lucky and only had to put up with that for 1 1/2 weeks. I don't know that he could have gotten the job done, but I wasnt about to find out.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

:lol: :lol: PUGGLY CHOWS :lol: :lol:

I'm with you FIXED IS BETTER :lol: Better not to worry,just as soon as this is over FIXED IS WHAT WE WILL BE!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Have you guys ever seen a pug chow mix?
Here is a pug/chow mix!
Check out this cutie-pa-tutie!!!

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... id=5632640

Bama
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

OMG,THEY COULD OF DONE IT!!!! :lol: :lol:

Sure is a CUTIE!!!
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

See, I knew a Puggly Chow could be possible! Thank God for pull-ups!!!!