General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

True or False?

Post by Taz » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:50 pm

Did they use Chows as food in China?
Or is that just a misunderstanding or myth?

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:24 pm

Actually it is true, they were used for their food and their fur. However, that is not where they get their name from.

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:38 pm

I honestly do not wish to think about that - too much information! :(

As is the fact that when a Chow Chow was first brought over to the UK, it was put in the zoo. :cry:

Horrible.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)

Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:27 pm

But it doesn't make sence.
As it says in books, Chows where only to find in temples.
And was not common to be owned by "the public".
So how can they be used for food and their fur, when they where not "allowed" to be owned by any other than temples osv.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:32 pm

Here is an excerpt from a site that I like.......

The Chow Chow's structure is very similar to that of the oldest known fossilized dog remains, dated to several million years ago. The Chow has been known for thousands of years in China, where the breed was put to work as a hunter, cart puller and boat guard. One Emperor is said to have kept 2500 Chow pairs. One was given to the Prince of Wales, the future Edward Val. Over history, the Chow has been used to hunt wolves, sable and pheasant, and to pull sleds. His fur was used to trim coats. The flesh of these dogs was considered a delicacy in China. Dog is still eaten in China today. This beautiful dog was first brought to England by merchants in the late 1800's. The name probably originated from the pidgin English word "chow-chow," a term used to describe all sorts of miscellaneous stuff brought back from the Far East. The Chow has become very popular in the United States as a companion dog. Some of the Chow Chow's talents are watchdogging and guarding.

Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:17 pm

I remeber reading that they kept the blue's for temple guards. Will post a link if I see it again.

Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

info

Post by Shane » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:34 am

Samorrathis,

If memory serve me correct it was black chows. They were used to guard the temple espeacially from evil spirits. Come to think about it in other cultures other thing that are black was used to prevent evil spirits. For example in where i am they use a black cloth to tie around a babies hand. Which i thought was rubbish which may infact be true as i've seen babies cry for nothing and once the black cloth is tied around their hand they stop. Maybe a coincident but who knows.

Taz,

chows were not just in china records of them were in Mongolia and Munchuria. They were eaten there aswell by Mongo (i think thats the name) and his people.

Note i read in Dog World and other resources that the chow is a spitz decent also believ that the chow was the first artic breed (but who really knows that no was around back in those days to document it.) They are believe to have Mastiff and Tabetan blood. They were beleive to be the cross betwqeen the Tibetan Mastiff and the Samoyed (so the chow is belive to be the cross of the Samy, so the chow couldn't be the first spitz because the Samoyed is a sptiz aswell.) To everyone when reading aboput the chow iut is quite important to read more than one sources because they may have similar infomation but never the exact same information.

Shane