Chow Chows & Dog Show Questions

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jimbo42
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow Chows & Dog Show Questions

Post by jimbo42 »

We all know that Chow Chows are the total package the most beautiful with grace,pride,and dignity.

But why is it that on about every televised dog show especially the Westminster kennelclub show on the USA network or the dog shows on animal planet.

That the Chow Chows hardly ever make the finals and if they do some other less attractive dog/breed wins. Im not saying this to be mean or snippy but why do these major dog shows snub the Chow Chows?

What division are Chows included in?

Luv Ya All Jim R.I.P. Ling
JIMBO42
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Chows are in the Utility Group, and yes they hardly ever get choosen for the group placings and maybe once in a blue moon for best on show or even reserve best in show, Judges just dont understand our beutiful Chows, and prefer the small yappy little dogs, Chows are too good for shows and you should try to stick to Chow Shows, and up against anything else you will never get a prize. Tell you more once you have been to some shows.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Jimbo,

The thing is - Chows are not dogs - they are Chows - so they really do not need to be in a dog show - they need to be in a Chow Show. :lol:

As Carolyn says, judges do not understand our Chows. :?
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

In the States, the Chows are in the Non-Sporting Group. It's a hodge-podge group; the Standard Poodle is in there too.

Personally, I believe that, in the States at least, there is a bias against our breed. I know that when I used to show in Obedience, every judge I showed under said and did the same things.

1. "This is the first time I've ever judged a chow."
2. "Wow, he's nicer than I thought he would be."
3. Airbrush on the stand-for-exam.

:?
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
jimbo42
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jimbo42 »

They are not just dogs they are Chows a cut above all the others. Those big male poodles look like sissy dogs sorry Poodle fans just my opinion. Do they ever broadcast any Chow Shows on tv? Martha Stewart has at least 2 gorgeous red or cinamon chows she used to show them in her opening credits video
JIMBO42
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

Um th e reason why smaller breeds usually win best in show because they had more breeders upon breeders to improve them. When it comes to dog shows I am not prejiduce. It doesn't matter how cute a dog is fair is fair. If the dog deserves the award s/he should get it. Dog shows are not for the pretteist of dogs they are for how well the dog conforms to its standard and the judges opinion varies. Usully the dog that get the award deserves it. Jimbo42 when it comes to dog show you should not be "prejiduce" to certain breeds because I have seen those "sissy" male poodles that deserve it. I've watched the Houston Show and the chow came group 2nd quite suprised I was because in my opinion he didn't deserve it. Right now i can't tell you why but tommorrow because I have to leave the computer.

Shane
[/i]
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Like i was saying.

Post by Shane »

Sorry for taking more that the time that was i was going to reply my answer. That cxhow was a black chow and its hard to see black on television. When the light was at a certain position I sasw the chow's facial expression for a second, goosd thing I recorded it so I couyld look at it again to confirm my answer. His expression was good but not what I would say the best that i have ever seen though. When I really thought about it, in the ring its who's the best at that time and because of that I went over the group that is what made me agrre with the with her entire placement.

Shane