Five Months and Already in Heat???!!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jazzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Five Months and Already in Heat???!!!

Post by Jazzy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:59 am

This has been a crazy week for Avis and me. On Monday, I thought she had that "*Censored Word* sac" problem that I had just happened to read on the net. On Tuesday evening, I came home to find she had gotten past her makeshift gate and went upstairs. Urine on the floor and "*Censored Word* sac stuff" in the corner--not a pretty sight. She has been fully housebroken since 17 Aug, so this was weird to me. Then over night and the next day, more accidents--perhaps a total of six or seven in a twelve hour period. Of course, I was shocked and at a loss. What was wrong with my dog? And of course, when I took her outside, she was going on the sidewalk or even the steps--she just couldn't hold it, and she can usually go for 12 hours and still wait until we get to the grassy field. Anyway, the first vet rushed me out of the clinic saying she was still a pup and to come back in a couple of days if there seemed to be a deeper problem. That was in the morning before we came back home to the the 5-6 other accidents. So really, at first I'm thinking it's the *Censored Word* sac problem. Oh, she was also squatting without doing anything...

That evening I came home to more accidents in her area. So I found a neighbor who showed me the place to another clinic. By then, I "knew" it was a urinary infection even though I thought it was something that usually happened to older dogs.

Doc gives her a shot, some antibiotics, and a couple of doggy treats, and we go home. Avis is holding it overnight, but now the blood drops are more and more noticeable. I read that heat in female dogs started at about six months, so I doubted that could be the reason. But, she's moody--sleeping when she's usually playing, restless, panting big time, and the barks and howls outside have increased.

Could my baby be a grownup?

Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Five Months and Already in Heat???!!!

Post by Shane » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:15 am

Jazzy wrote:Could my baby be a grownup?
I doubt it because at that age in dogs in general she would be a toddler. Which i kind of find it kind of wierd not that she is in heat now. I read that females go in heat at about 10 months. It could be possible she is in heat cause females do have a discharge. She may probally have an active hormone (oestrogen), compare it to a growth spirt, deepening of voice and facial hair on a 13 yr old bot (i hope that it was a good comparison (testosterone). I hope that this helps.

Shane

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:10 am

Milly first came on heat when she was 7 and a half months old and Mabel first came on heat ten days later - so she was not quite 8 months old. (They are litter sisters.)

So, I think five months is a little early but not impossible. :?:

I would check that her urinary infection has cleared up properly. Sometimes the first lot of treatment has not cleared it up and she needs a second lot. The spending a penny so often and everywhere is not normal and whereas a little bitch on heat does tend to spend a penny more often, not as often as that. :(

I hope it sorts out because it will make her feel awful and is incredibly painful and she will not like having accidents. :(

Good luck and keep us posted.

And, some purple kisses for the little girly chow from Milly and Mabel. :) :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)

Jazzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jazzy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:19 am

Thanks very much...I was still a little confused. No accidents since the day I took her to the vet (Wednesday I think), but I'm still a bit worried. I guess if I knew "for sure" what it was. I keep going back and forth--maybe it's a urinary infection, maybe it's heat. Shrug.

chowpuppies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowpuppies » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:51 pm

Jazzy wrote:Thanks very much...I was still a little confused. No accidents since the day I took her to the vet (Wednesday I think), but I'm still a bit worried. I guess if I knew "for sure" what it was. I keep going back and forth--maybe it's a urinary infection, maybe it's heat. Shrug.

well if her first heat you be able to by color and looks
if it started bright red and now is starting turn pink
looks was she would be getting swollen where she pees :wink:
some girls will go a little crazy when every thing starts changing
it a little early but in chows at least mine i have had go into heat at 4 1/2 month to 1 year
make to keep her from the boys till your sure :lol:

Jazzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jazzy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:18 am

I'm not too sure about the color. I just finished my mopping for the morning, so it's all gone. :? However, she is VERY SWOLLEN where she pees.

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:25 pm

She could have vaginitis. I have a co-worker with a female terrier who has chronic vaginitis and has many of the symptoms you mentioned, and if it was then the antibiotics would work, but you do need to make sure because it can re-occur and for some reason they can't be spayed until their first heat or it will make things worse. Or that's what my friends vet tells her.

I'd make sure of what is going on, five months is too early for a first heat.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!

Jazzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jazzy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:44 am

I know five months is early, but various web sites and books say that bitches can go in heat "as early" as five months. I take it that it's not common, but still possible. The penny dropping has eased but she's still a bit swollen. She's listless--meaning as nonchalant as she is usually, it's just not cutting it for her. She eats sparingly, not playing with her toys, not even chewing bones and that's her favorite. It's "something" and I'm tending to think of it more as heat than anything else. If so, then she should be entering into her second phase.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:58 am

Actually, some dogs have been known to go into heat as early as 4 months old! hard to believe but it does happen, I have seen 6 month old dogs with litters of puppies. I worked at two different shelters and defintiely saw a few that were way too young to have ever even been left alone much less left alone while in heat.
It does happen so PLEASE keep her away from any hormone ridden males.

chowpuppies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowpuppies » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:48 pm

[quote="ChowLover"]Actually, some dogs have been known to go into heat as early as 4 months old! hard to believe but it does happen, I have seen 6 month old dogs with litters of puppies. I worked at two different shelters and defintiely saw a few that were way too young to have ever even been left alone much less left alone while in heat.
It does happen so PLEASE keep her away from any hormone ridden males.

I agree :!:
i told my vet that my puppy went at 4 1/2 months she told me i was lying.
"oh well" so goes life just make sure keep her away from little boys that like to play :wink:
but if she starts acting like her belly hurts or has another color discharge
i would get her checked by a vet again

Jazzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jazzy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:42 am

Well, all's over and I think the verdict is: Avis really was in heat. I think being as young as she was, she may not have been prepared for the changes (just like little girls), but you could tell the symptoms were the same. I'm glad all is over and we will be making a visit to the vet in the next few months :wink:

What's next????? :?

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:00 am

Well I am glad you know and I am glad it is over for the poor little love - she is just too young bless her, but there you go!! :)

I am also glad it was not a urinary infection - they are so painful. :)

Purple kisses from M & M. :) :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)