Your Chow Chow's Journey to Forever Home.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Your Chow Chow's Journey to Forever Home.

Post by Judy Fox »

Here is a new task for you all!

Please think -

(You are doing well with your "what would my chow be if...)

so new task is:--

What sort of a journey did you and your chow have when you brought him/her home.

I have two journey stories in - three if I count the journey we had to bring Milly Ching home way back in November 2000. That journey was a nightmare and not one I would like to undertake again.

Then there is Michael's journey home with Gwrol. I have Michael's account of that journey and when I read it, it moved me to tears - Michael's writing was so poignant turning to joyful.

Then Monica's account of bringing Baby Kira home is hilarious!

So, LULU take note please - I would ask you most fervently to think how you feel when you bring little Miss Cinnamon home on Saturday. Think how you feel - take note how Cinnamon is acting - try and work out how she is feeling.
If you have someone driving with you, ask them to take notes.

Sojourner and Mandy - please make your observations and let Lulu know so that she can include your comments in her report.

Anybody else, please do not worry if you do not have a journey story - we will get enough for a small chapter.

When you think about it, by the time we get this book ready for the publisher I am hoping, nay, aiming to have at least one story from each chow. This is to be a joint venture and I don't want anybody left out.

Please help me everybody - I cannot do it without you.

Lulu - please take photos - I don't think Michael or Monica did and I did not either. Sojourner and Mandy perhaps you can help here - Mandy you won't really have a good excuse for not having a picture for this one will you!! :lol:

But if anybody does have a momentous story, please write it and Private Message it to me or email it to me.
:)

NOTE: This thread may contain material that is confidential, privileged and/or attorney work product for the sole use of developing the cc.org chow book - Judy F. and Mandy B., intended recipients. Any review, reliance, reproduction or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

Don't forget Orah and Cheech - Eurosuzie's Journey.

Nikita's journey was not at momentous as a rescue would be, but I have never owned or been owned by a chow before. But, one funny thing did happen that I hate to admit. It was pitch black out on the way home in the car, my 4 year old was holding her and she jumped down to the floor of the car - we were lost (my husband and Mom were arguing), and I picked Nikita up - Gave her a kiss - And realized I just kissed my new baby Chows BUTT!
Atleast it broke the ice :D
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you - yes I had forgotten Eurosuzie's journey.

Eurosuzie, please think. :)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Tippsy's journey wasn't as great as a rescues might be but its still pretty awsome.

My cousin had bought her from a breeder but when she started to grow she realized that her house was too small for her. Then my uncle got her and I went over to see her every weekend and I grew really attached to her so when my uncle couldn't keep her anymore he gave her to me and I've had her for almost seven years now.
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Hi Judy

I do plan to write a story in the other one as well but I will come up for a story for Cayennes journey here. I think it may be interesting for some as Cay and I had a love/hate relationship at the beginning! I loved her super cuteness - she hated every inch of me. I couldn't love on her for over a month but through time together she now loves me as much as my husband. Her journey involved a meet and greet with both of us and Chewie, then my husband returning to get her with his friend, then officially welcoming into the home with Chewie (who she wanted NOTHING to do with either!)

I will think on this and write soon!
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Please Tippsy's Mum and Mandy - do think on it and write to me - put in any detail you think and then I will have plenty to work on when I start to write it up. :)
LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LuLu33 »

Ok, I will make note of the entire journey. Sounds like fun!

I have a story of my Journey with Moses but he's since passed, I don't know if you want it but It's pretty good one...He had a rough life and a rough journey. I have pictures of him too! It will make me cry so if you want it I'll type it up later on.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes please, and would you PM it to me - and good look for Saturday. I cannot wait to hear. :lol:
EuroSuzie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EuroSuzie »

Judy Fox wrote:Thank you - yes I had forgotten Eurosuzie's journey.

Eurosuzie, please think. :)
Will do! How soon do you want it?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe's story is buried somewhere in the archives, I have to find it. Actually I don't think there is anything about Pekoe that isn't buried in the archives, there's 9 years worth of Pekoe.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

There is actually no particular rush Eurosuzie, certainly by summer or Easter or whatever, I really want to get the book plan worked out then start to fill out all the chapters. :D

Thank you Jeff!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I remember almost every detail of when we brought Special Dark home, I'll write it all out and pm you with it in a few days and then you can edit it because it's long! :D
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Lovely - thank you and I will look forward to receiving it. :D
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I remember almost not getting Ping. I'd packed Bear up in the car to go see if they would get along. I decided to call the shelter to see if Ping was still there and the lady told me that she had been adopted. I was crushed, but something deep down inside me told me to go check anyway. I did and she was still there. Thank goodness I trusted my gut instinct and not some overworked/underpaid shelter worker. :x
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I adopted my first chow Luna in 1996. Sight unseen. Luna's foster mom felt it was better to bring Luna to my house. She was with me for 10 years.
Mikki moved into my home Oct. 2006. I had seen Mikki in her own surroundings, again she was brought to my home, the foster parents wanted to see Mikki's new home and the backyard. No home journey to report either.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

That is ok - but please, you will have some funny little annecdotes about them - I need those too. :D
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Judy Fox wrote:That is ok - but please, you will have some funny little annecdotes about them - I need those too. :D
Well Luna was very strong, the foster mom walked her into my house and let go of the leash, rather than try to catch an overexcited chow, we let her explore the house, the cats were with a neighbour. Luna finally calmed down somewhat and pooped in the middle of my living room, a lot. The foster mom quickly scooped it up. I then found out that this chow had never been on a leash. She was feral, left outside to her own device, to hunt for her dinner. The owner didn't feed her, left this up to the neighbours. Luna would have been a huntress.

Mikki is an unassuming, quiet, affectionate little chow girl, she is protective of her home, garden and cats. I am sure she knows of Luna, the scent is probably still on furniture, carpet etc. ........cont'd.

Judy, there will be more, I have some good ideas you may like to read and perhaps add to your collection. I will email you, I will work on this little project on the weekend.
Isn't it going to be a huge undertaking for you?

Don't forget yandr, chow in Greece. She may have a good story to tell, Paris maybe?
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

chris

Post by chris »

OH MY LORD... lol, I will send you "STEELS" account of his journey to his forever home... FUNNY STUFF... since the people on the "airoplane" who were taking care of him told me of his flight. :D
dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Holly and Max's Journey

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

We got Holly in Feb 2004 - hence her name Holly (born near Xmas). I went to pick her up from a place near Lymm (about 30 miles away) and couldnt wait. I had some extra holidays whilst in the navy so took 2 weeks off for it. We had been to see her a few times before picking her up and knowig how she is now, and seeing her mother, and can see that they are clearly related. It was very cold and I went across on my own in the car. I was in such a rush due to excitement that was speeing a little. Arriving at the place, it went very quickly and it seemed odd that the person selling the pups was so unattached to them, but I guess they have to be! Well we already had our cat at home (FLiss) and I had took along her oversized carrier to pick Holly up. I remember driving back through the lanes, and becasue she was crying I had my little finger through the cage which seemed to quieten her a little. What I didnt see was the police car doing speed checks! Luckily he hadnt zapped me but I was on another planet. Max was different, we got him pretty much the day we saw him (at New Year 2 years ago). I definately wont forgot that as Alison was driving, he was in the footwell, stood up and looked at me and then proceeded to 'mark me' and then a number 2 in the footwell! He's still trying me now! And the cat? Well more proud of her as she was a rescue and over here (UK) you have to prove soooo much to take an animal from the RSPCA it took ages, but Fliss is and always has been a tough nut, even losing her tail 12 months ago hasnt deterred her from climbing up to our bedroom window ledge and howling at me to let her in!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yeeeeeh! Someone else from England. Thankyou Danny! :)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Just shunting this up again to remind everyone about stories please. :roll:
vicster605@cmaaccess.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vicster605@cmaaccess.com »

Judy, your pics of M & M get MORE ADORABLE everytime you post one, OMG how do you get them to pose like that????? They are just BEAUTIFUL!!!!
They make my day :D :D

Kearra is our Very First, we drove for 6 hrs. to Alabama, and because her Mom had accidently jumped down on her the day before,the breeder wanted to give us her sister because Kearra was limping on 3 legs with a hurt foot. {Of course
we wouldn't have known the difference}
The breeder had separated the puppies and had the sister all groomed and sitting on the porch. Pretty little fuzzy butt.......when she layed eyes on me, she backed up in the corner and started to grrrrrrr at me and then peeeeeed. :shock: She REALLY didn't like me, and I REALLY didn't like her personality either...... When I spotted Kearra's sweet little face in the yard, limpin' towards the back, so I followed her, while the breeder was telling me, if you PREFER the other one you are welcome to her or you can wait until the next litter? Well, I followed her to the back yard and she was doing her business, so I waited until she finished and said, Here little puppy? She looked up at me and IT WAS LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!!! She hopped over to me tail waggin' and Well........She rode like a little ANGEL all the way home!!! Sweetest little personality, and still is the sweetest little thing!!! She may not have been as well groomed and may have had an injured leg, perhaps not the prettiest of the two, BUT one look into those beautiful little eyes and you could see her SWEET SPIRIT!!! We were meant for each other!!!! Now thats a LOVE STORY, don't ya think??? haha
Tired of ALL THAT JAZZ ABOUT THE CHOW CHOW BREED!!!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes that is a lovely story and just what I want.

Thank you for your kind words about Milly and Mabel - almost all the pictures I take of them are unposed. I just grab the camera and shoot. Only the ones of them sitting on the little bench are posed.

This particular one of them sitting at the back door is their favourite position in the summer. they can sit outside and keep an eye on what I am doing in the kitchen. I love that backwards, upside down look!
vicster605@cmaaccess.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vicster605@cmaaccess.com »

You must just sit and watch them, I know I would!!!!
I LOVE THAT SHOT AND THE ONE WHERE YOU JUST SEE THEIR BACKS, They are truly GODS CREATURES, aren't they???
Tired of ALL THAT JAZZ ABOUT THE CHOW CHOW BREED!!!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you and yes I love this particular picture too. They sit like that in the nice weather when the back door is open and that way, they have the best of both worlds. They are out in the sunshine but they can also keep an eye on what I am doing in the kitchen. :D