HELP-I CAN'T GET BAILEY TO COME IN

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

HELP-I CAN'T GET BAILEY TO COME IN

Post by LuLu33 »

Ok gang, My bailey boy is training up fairly nice I have just two issues with him and they are semi-related. First and the worst is HE WON'T COME IN THE HOUSE. I let him out and he loves it out there when I go and get him he runs around like a nut like it's play time. When I'm trying to leave the house getting him to come in is such a process. We live on an acre corner lot and he has lots of room to run so he's all over the place. He's such a junkyard dog, he has a plush bed and his own toybox IN THE HOUSE and he's happier outside filling the yard with and chewing on sticks! He knows the "come" command but as most of us know he's selective of when he wants to obey that one. I can usually get him in with a special treat (like the turkey in my fridge) but I need it to not be such a hassle. The second thing is when people comes to the door, he again loses his head and wants to run and check it out. It's so hard to pay the pizza man with this dog pushing through your legs. He sits and stays till just the moment I can't grab him and then takes off to scare away the pizza man, he doesn't do anything but act like a goof but it does scare people and he needs better manners than that. The stay command is much easier to deal with than the come command for me. He just thinks being outside is one big game and all fun and it's just not funny anymore. He likes me to go out and play with him and the family does so he likes that and is probably why he does it but even when he's all tuckered out, he won't budge to come in. I got mad at him today and called him all kinds of names so he paid me back by running in with muddy paws..LOL ..UGH!!!! Any advice? :-?
LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

NOT COMING IN

Post by LuLu33 »

ImageImage
I hear you calling me but I'm not coming in! I like it outside! So what if it's raining and I've just been groomed, I love it out here. You have to go somewhere too bad...take me with you. I'm sitting here and laying here so nice, come near me and I'll run like the wind to the back yard. I'm not coming in...uh ah no way! BAILEY!
akheila
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by akheila »

my kira is the same she loves to be outside. No matter the weather! So she does end up spending loads of time out there, sometimes I think she finds our house too warm with all her fur. As for the being a bully at the door, when we got her if someone came to the door we would give them a treat to give to her so that she would see if we were there she didn't need to go nuts unless we encouraged her to. Now if she is in the back yard and the meter reader needs to come through she doesn't even get up. However if you come in the front gate it won't be a problem ....come in the back gate and she make eat you alive, no one seems to be allowed in the back alley!
vicster605@cmaaccess.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vicster605@cmaaccess.com »

My 6 mo old has just started this one too, from time to time........haha THAT LOOK THEY GIVE IS PRICELESS!!! :roll: It makes me laugh cuz she doesn't look like she is gonna budge, almost like her feet are CEMENTED in the ground!!!I thought it was just normal Chow Chow behavior. Can't wait to hear what the long time folks have to say????
Tired of ALL THAT JAZZ ABOUT THE CHOW CHOW BREED!!!!
vicster605@cmaaccess.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vicster605@cmaaccess.com »

I did the exact same thing with Kearra and the pushin' though the FRONT door too!!! She would sit, and stay at the back door, never try to push out the door, BUT the front door every time you opened it she would just try and dart out SO, I got treats and we started sit, stay and I would give her a treat, then I would go out the front door and come back in, sit, stay and we would get a treat. IT WORKED, much easier when the pizza man comes........I say stay and she sits and waits like she does at the back door!!!
Tired of ALL THAT JAZZ ABOUT THE CHOW CHOW BREED!!!!
chris

Post by chris »

mmmmm... my oh my.. doesn't this sound familiar. :lol:

Steel is the same way, however he is getting better at sit n stay when I am walking out the door. BUT, if I don't do that, he will book at any time to run the neighborhood that "he owns".. :roll: And ah.. nope... NOT COMING IN.. Hence my siganture.
TXSusiQ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TXSusiQ »

I've just given up on trying to get Cabo to listen to me. He'd be outside all day - rain sleet or snow if he could and it's just to tiresome for me to deal with. But let my hubby tell him to come in or call him and he dasrts right in and sits and lays down to get his paws wiped off. Me? Nope no way no how!
Mommy to Cabo
Adrianna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Adrianna »

I just adopted 8 year old Mac last week from a shelter. He wasn't budging to come inside until I found out how much he loves cheese!!!

I am also learning that there are Chow behaviours that need to be accepted because it makes them who they are.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

If you can allow Bailey in an unfenced yard without running away, there is no advice I could give you! Lily won't come in, either. We literally have to drag her in the house by her tether, at times. Her legs are locked the whole way, until she reaches the back porch, then she gives in and walks in nice. Once in the house, I can un-hook her with the door wide open, and she never tries to escape. Same thing on the way out- no escape attempts. I would rather she just stayed in our yard!.
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

oh lulu, hahaha, I can so relate on the coming in part.....
I open the side door to let her in and call her name, she casually strols from the back yard, stops 10 feet from the door and plops on her butt.. then I say come and she lifts her paw up and then puts it back and pretty much says "ha.. maybe if there was snow and cold IN the house" one wrong movement on my behalf and she's off to the backyard again wanting to play.. it is NO good when it's -20 outside and i'm trying to get her in, then I freeze... Bribing with treats works.. I shake the bag and she comes to the steps waiting for me to show her a treat before she's in... :shock: !!!
She runs out of anything possible.. i think if she could get to open window she'd escape from that too!! Me and my girl friend had to build a fence so she stops escaping (i'm very proud its a beautiful fence! hahaha)