swimming pools??

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605@cmaaccess.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

swimming pools??

Post by vicster605@cmaaccess.com »

We have a lg. inground swimming pool that is screened in with a door that opens to a lg, yard. We have had Kearra for 4. mo and she spends most of her outside time in both. So far NO interest in the pool she NEVER goes near it.....Never say never, right? Anyway, I'm a Military Mom/Grandmother and I have to leave for my yearly visit for 3 wks. with my daughter,grandchildren and grand-dog, leaving Kearra with my husband.He will be at work everyday, with Kearra probably outside. I'm just very concerned, do you think he should close her out of the pool area??? Or do you think she will be ok since she NEVER has gotten near the pool??Us poor military parents we always have to MISS someone :_| If not for my grand-dog I wouldn't have Kearra though......Also, do you think she will forget about me in 3 wks??? And loss all that she has learned?? We ALMOST have each other trained :D :D

Oh, also I tryed the WAIT on our walk yesterday!!! And gave her extra leash, since some of you were saying that you let your dogs walk ahead of you......Kearra DID GREAT, it WORKED, except for the occasional off after a smell :lol: :lol: She walked up ahead and would slow down and wait for me, SOOO CUTE, and when she would start to pull, I'd say WAIT, sure enough, she would slow down and look up at me!!! Thanks Jeff, I looked much better, Not like I was gettin' pulled down the street, yellin' HEEL!!TOO FUNNY!!!Now we both speak ENGLISH!! Also, she LOVED her new food! Thanks Again!!!
Tired of ALL THAT JAZZ ABOUT THE CHOW CHOW BREED!!!!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I'd most definetly keep her out of the pool area, leaving a dog alone with a pool is very, very dangerous. Like you said, never say never... you just don't know when she decides to be curious about it. Once your back and you allow her into that area while you're eatching her, should she get into the pool, make sure she knows how to get out, work with her on finding the stairs.

Aw, of course she'll remember you when you get back. :D She'll be very happy to see her mommy!! It'll be so wonderful when you get back, just wait until she starts dancing around when she sees you. :D I don't think she'll lose all that she has learned, you might just run through everything with her just to see what she's going to pretend to have forgotten. :D But she'll get back into the swing of things when you get back.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Yep keep him out of the pool area, there was a lady I met at the Dog park in Alameda (Bay area) who's Chow drowned in the pool while she was gone. Mostly her fault though she had the chow chained so when he fell in the pool I think the Chain traped him but chain or not I would keep him away from the pool.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yep keep her out of the pool area, many dogs have drowned in a pool when left alone, because while getting into the pool is easy for a dog, getting out is often difficult.

And she will remember you, but she may be mad at you for leaving her for 3 weeks and pout. (and they pout well!)
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
vicster605@cmaaccess.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Yep, thought you guys would say that and I'm sure it would be the only way I wouldn't worry anyway!! I'm here with her 24/7 and she is mostly inside with me, or with me somewhere. I thought I had read someone say something about a dog drowning.......A chain by a pool??????People can be stupid can't they????Our 2 grand-dogs a boxer and english bulldog LOVE the pool, easy in easy out,has an 8 ft tanning ledge 18 inches then 8 ft.ledge 1 ft deep,the dogs think that is their end haha Can't wait to INTRODUCE Kearra to it in the summer as she STANDS in her water bowl, and can't resist a good water puddle...........Only with me watching of course!!I'm the pool watcher anyway, kids, dogs, big people haha
I'm just heartsick having to leave her :_| But I'm heartsick here missing my kids, guess everyone has their crosses to bear.........
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I know what you mean, it's so hard leaving our chowdren isn't it? I've done it twice and it stinks, I've told my hsuband I do not want to go anywhere without Special anymore.

I should tell you too, that like Victory said there may be some poutiness. For us, on our second trip away from him (we were gone a week both times), Special let it be known he was quite unhappy with our choice to vacation without him by urinating in our bedroom: once on the floor and once on our bed! How's that for a guilt trip for us? :roll: I felt bad enough but that was just so sad that he was that upset about it! :(
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

It's really tough to leave our Chowdren! The first night or two might consist of some whining while they are waiting for you to come home. My business trips don't last more than a week but the welcome I get when I come home is awesome! Mr. N does his happy feet dance - I love it.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
vicster605@cmaaccess.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Kearra had a STRANGE for Kearra day today???? Don't know if she is picking up on me being anxious about leaving her, could be....I know she is perceptive for sure.
I went to the grocery store and left her with my husband. He was outside and came in and said she acted afraid of him which she NEVER has been before. He went to pet her and she peed which she hasn't done in several months now and then went under a table:cry: She was fine when I got home, so I took her for a walk, she was doing fine until my neighbor came out and was talking to us and Kearra knows him and has greeted him with tail waggin' THIS TIME tail tucked and wouldn't let him touch her even with me encouraging her that it was ok never did raise her tail back up or let him touch her, she NEVER has done that before with ANYONE ?? I think I'm gonna be sick with worry the whole time I'm gone, I think I'll be glad for her to be mad at me when I get back haha I won't mind a bit haha
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

A while back I was gone for a few days. When I got home, anxious to see Gracie, she didn't come running all excited to me! Finally she came walking down the hall, we made eye contact and she barked at me and took off running to the bedroom where she dived under the desk (her den). I followed her in the bedroom, she poked her head out, barked at me and turned away. Then, out she came, wagging her tail, ready for hello's. I guess she just had to let me know she was very angry at me for not being here!
They sure have a way of making us feel bad.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

We've got friends with a pool that is accessable to the dogs and we take ours over there all of the time. What I did and do occassionally is put the dogs into the pool and make sure that I guide them to the stairs in the far corner and then put them in again to make sure that they find them on there own and remember where they can get out if they needed to without my help. They have no interest in getting in on there own but accidents do happen. Be careful.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

Brisco wrote:We've got friends with a pool that is accessable to the dogs and we take ours over there all of the time. What I did and do occassionally is put the dogs into the pool and make sure that I guide them to the stairs in the far corner and then put them in again to make sure that they find them on there own and remember where they can get out if they needed to without my help. They have no interest in getting in on there own but accidents do happen. Be careful.
My sister does the same thing with her five dogs, although they are always watched around the pool.
anita
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by anita »

They sure do pout, don't they. I guess on a chow it's a chowt. And mine loves to hide under the coffee table when it's time for frontline; totally different than my other two dogs. Boy they're smart! He knows the differnce between the sound of a frontline box and every other box in the universe.
chris

Post by chris »

STORY TIME... :lol:

When Steel was.. oh about 6 months old I think... I took him to my Dads. He has a pool that is partialy in-ground (hard to explaine) anyway, the cover was still on it and Steel thought he could just walk right over it to the other side.. ummmmm N O T... he started to sink and the pool cover was holding him up. (his head above water, like a floatie).. anyway, I was able to pull the cover towards me and "rescue" him. It wasn't funny at the time, but now it is.. you had to see him... Now though, he walks around the pool... at least 3 feet from the edge at all times... even when I'm in it.
I'm afraid of what might have happend if I wasnt there. :?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think Brisco's idea is great, if you have a pool there is always a chance they might fall in same with kids so getting the Chow to know which way is out and how to get out would be extremely important. The same with having your Chow learn the neighborhood and how to find its way home.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage