THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605@cmaaccess.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Post by vicster605@cmaaccess.com »

Finally, a website with information on the Chow Chow Breed, with people who REALLY love them!!! :D
I am new to this forum, and wish to share my story! Hope you find it interesting.
My name is Vicki and I live in New Orleans, La. I have a BEAUTIFUL black female Chow Chow her name is Kearra and she is 6 mo. old. My First, Chow Chow!
My first Question: What in the world is WRONG with people these days????
After raising my kids,and working for the past 16 yrs as a nurse, I find myself FINALLY retired. With much thought, I decided to do my homework and get a dog. With the CRIME RATE in New Orleans and my husband out of town for weeks at a time sometimes, decided a larger breed that would be a good watchdog would be one of my first concerns. Then I remembered the Beautiful black Chow Chow I saw when I was a young girl. To me one of the most BEAUTIFUL of all breeds. I DID MY HOMEWORK, and found a good breeder, saw the parents and grandparents of my puppy, and needless to say IT WAS LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!!!
I have had Kearra since she was 8 wks old. She is a SWEETHEART!!! Very smart, she NEVER had a BM in our house, and only 3 urine accidents with 2 being my fault. I have taken her to obedience clesses and we walk daily. She goes everywhere with me. She sits on comand, shakes, speaks, and downs ALL with sign language. She loves people, EVEN strangers. She also loves our granddaughter who is 9 yrs.
Which brings me back to my question...........
I never knew or heard anything about the breed UNTIL I started taking her out in public!!! It is amazing to me that people think they should just walk up to a owner of a Chow Chow and share THEIR HORROR STORIES!! All of a sudden I found myself with questions and doughts about my little sweetheart, with thoughts of what if she bites one of the kids, or turns on us, or gets out and hurts someone, WHEN is she gonna turn into this VISIOUS MONSTER that eats people up and trys to hurt kids and kills other animals???? On the computer I would go with NO good news to counteract ALL the negative CRAP people were saying. EVEN the Vets. our son mentioned to his Vet that we had a Chow Chow and he told him to NEVER let his son around her!! Then a friend of his, who's Dad owned 2 Chows [that he got as older dogs]came over to say, 1 one MEAN and the other wasn't but THE BLACK ONE is the meanest of them all, which they had a cream and a red. THis guy has a Bull Mastive with his 2 little babies!!!There I would go again, back to the computer, asking questions on websites with NOBODY answering them.........Even yesterday, I took my puppy for a walk down our street and 2 young teens BIG strappin' boys were sitting on their truck watching my puppy who of course is all excited, WHOW HUMANS, maybe I should go and see if they will pet me!!!I asked them if they wanted to pet her, since we are still socializing, and then I realized that they were AFRAID.......they quickly said No Mame I'm AFRAID of Chows one almost broke my arm, see the scare. Then I decided to take Kearra to a groomer by my house so she could get used to going from time to time, they told me they would try her ONLY after telling me how Pit Bulls just bite and hold on and Chows BREAK BONES!!!!They didn't know if it would work out. WHATEVER!!!
NOW: I'm sick of all the INPUT!!! I'm gonna go with my own feelings, a dog is only as good as the OWNER!!! I gonna treat my dog with RESPECT and going to demand the same which she has always given. Going to train her to have GOOD MANNERS and not going to tolerate bad ones. I'm the Boss and she knows it. Shes ALWAYS been very happy, mild mannered and is a wonderful dog. It took me a while not to LISTEN to people who have NO IDEA what they are talkin' about, BUT NOW THATS ENOUGH.
Anybody know when I should expect all the visious behavior???
Is adolescence a problem, which we are coming up on soon??
When is the best time to have her spayed??
Thanks for listening and letting me vent What a thing for a NEW Chow Chow owner to go through!!!!
Tired of ALL THAT JAZZ ABOUT THE CHOW CHOW BREED!!!!
Chandler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chandler »

Yes, I heard all that stuff after I got my puppy chow chow eleven years ago. Those vicious days never came.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p264 ... andler.jpg

Enjoy her and love her. You have the right attitude.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Hello and welcome. You have the right attitude and what you are thinking about you're girl is correct. That reputation for the chow came about with over breeding and such in the 1950's. It's rediculous that it takes over 50 years for folks to begin to learn the truth about the breed.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

U GO GIRLFRIEND

Love and respect will come back to you tenfold
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
chris

Post by chris »

I have had 3 chows now in 15-16 years all put together. If I ever had an issue with one of them, it was because they were in pain... and we took care of them imediatly. (sp?) when they were out of sorts, you could tell.. the behavior they would express was NOT LIKE THEM, or out of character. I had my Chows before I had my children, and they loved them. Shoot, I have to find a picture of My big Thor baby waiting outside for the bus with my daughter when she was in Kindergarden.... :-) You can't listen to others who are ignorant to the breed. Some people on here have come up with some good come backs for RUDE CHOW STUPID people. :-)

Welcome to the board.
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

As many know, our Golden just passed away due to a seizure condition....

The other night while we were still grieving we ordered a pizza and decided to just stay in with our Chow (Angel) and be happy together.

When the pizza man arrived the first thing he said to my boyfriend after seeig Angel was "Oh I just brought my Chow to the vet to be put down because she bit my son."

I was so angry that he would say that!

Why does everyone try to tell me what a monster my babygirl is? UGH

Welcome to the group!!!
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

I'm really sorry for your loss Angelsmom :cry:

I'm happy to know you are holding your own about your new furchild!!! I feel sorry for people that generalize the whole breed because of a bad experience or even worse because they heard something from somewhere else!!!

My furgirl is almost 11 months old.. and so far no viciousness, actually she's probably the sweetest baby ever, i'm yet to hear her growl (i'm wondering if she knows how..), but she must be vicious.. cause she's a black chow :? , yeah right!!!!!!!
The worse thing that happend in her adolescence.. well she ate some shoes, carpet and some of my wall( :shock: , but i think she was just mad at me and cold weather). I didn't crate train her and frankly it gives me a reason to do some renos anyways hahaha!!!!

I had her spade before her first cycle (she was about 5 month old), my vet said is was best and i've heard that's is good to prevent cancer later on, but I could be wrong... that is more a question for someone with lots more experience then me.

Enjoy your baby!!!
Olga
daryl168yang
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by daryl168yang »

Don't the best always get the worst remarks? These people are simply jealous of these royal kings.
"Lion" Richie Rich "ET"
vicster605@cmaaccess.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vicster605@cmaaccess.com »

I'm sooo SORRY for the loss of your baby, AngelsMom :cry:

I really think if people don't have anything nice to say about our beautiful pets they really should keep their HORROR STORIES to themselves...........
I need to read up on some of those come backs for people, like the pizza man! Anybody know any GOOD ONES?

Thanks Olga, guess us visious black chow owners need to stick together!!!haha
I can't tell you how HAPPY I am to have found this website :D :D Wish I would have found it sooner, I would hear a Horror Story, and WORRY and look at Kearra and wonder how a beautiful puppy like her could turn into a Monster and WHEN.............I really think their bad rap is WORSE than the BIG BAD PITBULL haha Had one of those and she was BIG BABY too!
[/quote]
Tired of ALL THAT JAZZ ABOUT THE CHOW CHOW BREED!!!!