Buying A Chow Puppy Off The Internet

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jimbo42
Rank 0
Rank 0

Buying A Chow Puppy Off The Internet

Post by jimbo42 »

Is it a good idea if you find a reputable chow breeder on the internet from another state. To buy a chow from him and have it shipped to a local airport where you pick it up at baggage claim
JIMBO42
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

When I was looking for a puppy male chow, I first tried a rescue organization. It was frustrating for us but maybe I am just impatient. I wanted a puppy now. I did correspond with someone offering a Chow pup in Texas. He seemed very anxious to have the transaction done. I wasn't asking for a Chow with papers, etc. but I really felt uneasy about the whole thing. I was contacted by a person in Canada that got my name from a post that I made on this site for a Chow wanted. He was not a breeder, just someone that had two Chows. We spoke on the telephone many times and worked out the details. I felt pretty good about this because of the personal calls and emails. This person was so in tune with his Chows and their pups. My Mr. Nahkohe was his favorite. He gave me his exact time and date of birth. We continued some correspondence and I sent him pictures for about the first year of Mr. Nahkohe.
I suggest that you contact the person selling over the internet and get as much detail as possible. There isn't any way to be 100% about the person selling puppies on the net. I think the general opinion is to first try rescue organizations and shelters. I support that as well even though I did purchase Mr. Nahkohe. Shiloh - my first Chow (mix) - is a "rescue". She had some issues so we needed to get a puppy male chow to make sure this would work out for all of us.
Karen
chowpuppies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Buying A Chow Puppy Off The Internet

Post by chowpuppies »

Is it a good idea if you find a reputable chow breeder on the internet from another state. To buy a chow from him and have it shipped to a local airport where you pick it up at baggage claim

well you need to your home work on buying a puppy
1 you need to make sure you like the breeder and his/her pups
2 talk to the breeder on the phone also ask Lots of questions!!
3 If you are getting a puppy shipped to you, (this what i tell people getting a puppy from me) let the breeder know that 1 where you nearest airport is and also be willing to make changes the airlines are changing prices and also where they shipto and from i know i try aways to what the buyer wants but some times things dont go right and i have to change flights or times and days even as weather gets to hot or cold
and most of Talk to your breeder they should want to help you any way they can

This is my way of doing thing other breeders do things different and that fine so my post is what i do :D
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

if...

Post by Mandy »

if the breeder is a good one... they will ask you a lot of questions too. They should want to know what kind of home their puppy will be going into. If they ask nothing - please find another breeder - one that cares enough about their pups to find a happy home.
andyman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by andyman »

I have bought over the net and can recommend cherub chows (do a search on the net for contact info). She is a little hard to communicate with but her dogs are very nice, well tempered, and well socialized. Documents come with the puppies. But again she isn't the easiest to deal with. Other breeders near her that are much easier to deal with is Canton Chows. I think they sometimes share litters. This lady is much easier to deal with and I'd wish I bought my puppy from her but it after looking for a while , it seems like Cherub produces better litters.

andy

Post by Guest »

I looked at Cherub Chows but was turned off by her at the fact that she had so many dogs. Even though she had good lines and does show, I was still too hesitant to buy from someone with that many dogs. JMO
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I got Lily through pupfind .com- She came from a hobby breeder 110 miles south of us in Indiana. I established a 'puppy criteria' and stuck to it. I was looking for a family pet, within driving distance, no color preference (tho I love Lily's color), and no apparent health, or behavioral problems. She was actually the last one left, and though her pinkish nose and blue/gray eyes aren't to standard, we aren't heading to a conformation ring, nor breeding program, so she fit the bill! On my way to meet Lily, I had a mantra all the way there for both myself and my daughter that looking isn't buying, and we walk if there's a problem. Lily fit the bill for our family,and if I waited for a locally bred chow, I'd still be waiting...
andyman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by andyman »

Just ouf of curiosity whats wrong with buying from a breeder with lots of dogs? I guess it can be a little dirty unless its a huge kenel and properly maintained. But what I like is the fact that because there are so many dogs, I feel the dog is never alone, always socialized, and despite allthe dogs she still takes the puppies out to malls, or the bank to get them well socialized before she ships them. To me, the puppy certainly doesn't seem like it came from a puppy mill and she's very well manored. So from my experience I'd buy from her again except next time I'm buying a show grade puppy (I just won third place at the last AKC dog show though!)

Post by Guest »

The whole point is basically if they have too many dogs, not all of them can get the necessary attention that every dog needs and deserves. You have to make your own judgement call on where you want your puppy to come from.
Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maxwell »

where i got my dog... i guess you can call it a puppy mill. there were a lot of dogs. i don't know the exact definition of a puppy mill though. but i think, just to go further on the point andyman made.. he may be well socialized dog wise but not with people unless they are socialized with poeple as andyman pointed out. cause mine came from the middle of no where and i think the only people he saw was the owner and the other people who came to pick up their puppies. so Max doesn't do well with people but GREAT with other dogs!!