Chow keep his rear-end facing me when wanted to be petted

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

p.siu@comcast.net
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow keep his rear-end facing me when wanted to be petted

Post by p.siu@comcast.net »

My chow, Mo-mo, would keep having his rear-end facing me when wanted to be petted. Does anyone has similar experience with their chow?

Thanks

Patrick
Nick Bellenbaum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nick Bellenbaum »

Patrick,
Join the club! You are part of his staff and he must be attended to! My chow, Baxter, has done what you are describing since he was a tiny puppy.

For all the other Chow owners out there, do Chows have *Censored Word* glands like Pugs that will bother them from time to time?
Nick, Amy & Baxter
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Sometimes Milly and Mabel turn their backs on us to be petted but most often they snuck their faces between our shins and grunt away if we massage their shoulders or rub their legs. :)

Regarding the *Censored Word* glands, I don't know - we had four pugs 20 odd years ago and they did have trouble now and again but we have never had any trouble with M & M - but that, of course, does not mean they do not get trouble. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
p.siu@comcast.net
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by p.siu@comcast.net »

Very interesting. Mo-mo get between my shins often too, when I rubbed his back. :D

Patrick
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

If i am standing, Kahn and/or Silvia ( whoever gets there first) will walk threw my legs until only there hind quarters are sticking out and will stay there till you iether scratch spot where tail lays or physically move them. I dont mind, i even tease them by rubbing ther head(which is sticking out my back) and they will try to duck below my reach.. 8)
Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

*Censored Word* glands

Post by Debbie »

this is a subject that I had no idea about until I got Bones. I had Bear another chow for 8 years before we got Bones, and had no idea about *Censored Word* glands. Once we got Bones we learned quickly that when he is scared he sets off his *Censored Word* glands and it has a horrible smell. He has done this when he first met his vet, when he has felt threatened etc. Our vet says it is a fear response. Luckily he has not set them off for some time now and hopefully will not very often feel scared! Although I have never smelled skunk, it may be similar, but more short-lived and I don't think there is an actual spray??

As for the presenting of the behind for scratching, Bones does this too and really leans into it!

Hi to all again, we moved at the beginning of Aug and I have been without chow news until today - looks like I have a lot of reading to do...Debbie and Bones
Nick Bellenbaum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nick Bellenbaum »

Here's the scoop i got on *Censored Word* glands from the veterinarian.

They're located right inside the anus, at the 4 and 7 position, and will get squeezed everytime your dog does a #2. If your dog has persistent diarhea and/or loose stool these glands will not be "squeezed" and will fill up.
If your dog is constantly licking his rear and/or scooting around on the ground; chances are his *Censored Word* glands are not emptying and need to be emptied.
You can do this yourself by (this will be gross) inserting your finger about an inch into the anus and then hooking it back and massaging the two glands on either side (at the 4 and 7 position). Be sure to have a paper towel or rag catching all the effluent, and wear gloves! It will most probably smell fairly bad (foul fishy odor).

Also, i have no idea if this is why Baxter kept turning around and wanting to get "butt scratches" but it might just be the *Censored Word* glands bothering him.

Nick
Nick, Amy & Baxter