Max bit my niece!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Max bit my niece!

Post by Maxwell »

Ok he was doing so well. i taught how to sit when he gets a treat and he hasn't had any accidents and he was listening to me and being obediant until yesterday and today. yesterday he had 2 acidents and today he bit my niece. my niece came over yesterday and spent the night and was here all day today. he usually barks at her and my sister for a while. i usually send him outside when i have company because he carries on so. so he warmed up to her so we thought. but my kids were playing with him and they were getting him all rawled up and he was still sniffin my niece and sister out. but he got her after a while and scared the mess out of everyone. so hes on punishment now. what do i do to make this event stick that he can't do that? i am very upset, and wonder if he will do that to my kids. :x
kingalls

Biting

Post by kingalls »

I hope your niece is okay - that the bite wasn't too bad.
I don't remember how old your Chow Chow is but Chow or any other dog, I just would not trust them to behave like we think they should or would want them to behave. It almost sounds like he was overwhelmed with all the attention - especially the kind that was getting him too excited - and he just reacted toward the most unfamilar human. Do you know what the kids were doing when the bite happened? I hope your Chow isn't getting all the blame. You need to find out everything and make sure the same type of situation doesn't repeat itself with other kids.
My Mr. N is very excited about my grandson but I don't put either one in a situation that could result in a problem for either one.
I've had Mr. N for over 1.5 years and Shiloh (mix) for over 2 years. I know I can trust Shiloh more than Mr. N when it comes to their behavior around humans. I just make sure the interaction is appropriate for the situation....which is limited with Mr. N.

Karen
Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maxwell »

No, i don't know why he went after her. it was just a small wound. My sister is the one that is overreacting. i told them to leave him alone and to ignore him and he'll ignore them. everytime she comes over she eggs him on when he is his leash. thats why i put him out side. but she was over late and it was time for him to come in.
but she really getting on my case talking about he may have rabies.. my chow is in the perfect health and she was really pushin my buttons. my niece is fine though. and once they left he was calm and back to normal. no hes not getting punished any longer. it was really in the cage til the left. my dumb sister said something like hes had his first tast of blood... wt* does that mean!? hes not a lion or a tiger... that doesn't hold any marit does it?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Your right your sister is dumb, there is no truth to the first taste of blood so I would get rid of your sister and take care of your Chow. I don't know what goes on in your household but my Chow will always come first. Every child in my family from 2 to 15 knows to stay away from Pekoe unless she comes to them, I learned along time ago she doesn't really like children and will growl when approached, she has never bitten anyone but everyone is aware, no rough housing, no bothering her when she is sleeping or eating and deffenantly no running around or playing close to her.
We have a 3 year old grandson staying with us for the summer, Pekoe tolerates him or if he gets to noisy or bothersome Pekoe will growl warning him or she goes into another room to avoid him but at 3 he knows proper behavior around dogs.

Your sister is instigating the problems so most likely your Chow is not going to want them around at all if they bother him to much, so don't blame your Chow, talk to your sister.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I second what Jeff says - you need to restrict any interaction with her and the Chow Chow.

Just don't let them meet!!

As far as "first blood" is concerned, that is utter rot. The children should learn to leave him alone unless he comes to them, as Jeff says.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maxwell »

u all don't know my sister.she thinks she right all the time and that she knows everything. but i will tell her. and next time she will have to leave at a decent hour. thanks all!

Post by guest »

There is a book called "Childproofing Your Dog" by Sarah Wilson and Brian Killcommons (I think). It has some great info on helping your dog and helping kids learn to get along together. It doesn't put the sole responsibility on wither dog or child, but both. Also, another helpful tip, although harder to follow, is never leave your dog unsupervised around children. I don't know where you live, but in the US it is a law that your pups need to be utd on Rabies vaccinations, so if he has had his shots, then he should be fine. Otherwise do a 10 day quarantine. (Not allowed off property, around other animals, unsupervised, etc.)
Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maxwell »

thanks!
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

I am sorry that Maxwell was put into a situation where he felt he had to bite. It doesn't sound like your sister has any real understanding of dogs, and I would keep her as far from Maxwell as possible. I always put my dogs in my bedroom, with the door closed and locked whenever I have 'questionable' company over. This includes my sister and her children, as well as friends with children. Very few people get the privilege of interacting with my dogs in the house. It is for my dog's safety... you would be surprised at how many people stupidly react to dogs.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maxwell »

well i know now!! see i've never been te type to "play" with dogs like that. espeically if i know they don' like me or are growling at me!