Bad reaction of my chow chow after cutting off all his hair.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

soukaina
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bad reaction of my chow chow after cutting off all his hair.

Post by soukaina »

Hello, I have a 4 month old chow chow very active with no health concerns. The last few days the weather was very hot, and it’s only going to get worse so I felt very bad, and took him to a groomer to have his hair cut. Once at the groomer i was advised to remove all his hair, that either the hair he had were all going to fall out, that it was maternity hair and recommended to cut everything off to have a more beautiful and shiny hair. So I trusted the groomer and let him cut it all off with a clipper. When I came back home, my dog was not the same anymore. He looks very sad, he doesn't play or eat anymore. He always stays in the corner, I feel like he's depressed. I would like to know if his reaction is normal and if he will get better with time, and what should i do to make him eat since he does not eat anything at all, including cheese bites, which he used to get ecstatic about.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Bad reaction of my chow chow after cutting off all his hair.

Post by JasonandNat »

A shame you didn’t learn more about Chow’s before acquiring. Never. Ever. Shave your Chow. Mother Nature is far smarter than people. As long as their winter coat is groomed out in spring your good. Never had a Chow not able to go through summer. Ever. They are far more hearty a breed than implied by many. They pant all year long -30 to plus 30. Of course if yours isn’t in shape, this may have to be adjusted until fitness wins out as nature intended.