My Chow & My Wheelchair Need Help

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jimbo42
Rank 0
Rank 0

My Chow & My Wheelchair Need Help

Post by jimbo42 »

I am partially disabled and I am in a whhelchair alot of times especially outdoors where I keep my 2 chows one a perky straight haired female around 7 yrs old named Little Girl and the other a big red male straight haired chow named Ling who's 10 yrs old very sweet natured dogs I raised from pups.

With lots of love care and kindness not to mention a lovely grassy lot with lots of room to run and play that has good dog houses plenty of shade to keep cool. And food and water with treats from time to time take care of any health problems they have too.

Having said all that heres my problem Im having with my wheelchair and my big red 10 yr old male. I come out to see them he wags his tail acts like he's glad to see me

But wont let me show him affection by rubbing and petting him when Im in my chair.

Until I was in my chair I used to go to the lot and even inside the lot sit on a big tree stump and I would rub and pet him for hours he would even nudge the female out of the way if she tried to get rubbed and petted.

But now when Im in the lot in my wheelchair he wags his tail and walks away then when he does come back he stays 2 feet away from me.

Im completely stumped as to why a dog I have always treated like a king doesnt want to be near me in my wheelchair and I've done nothing to him.

Its been very hot and humid lately here in Va but he has plenty of shade and food and water he doesnt bark either but he has a good appetite and seems to be happy and in no pain.

So other than me being in a wheelchair now why would my Chow Ling be snubbing me? Please help me I need imput Thanks in advance
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Jimbo,

First thing - don't be hurt!

Secondly, don't push it. Your Big Boy has probably not worked out why you are more often in your wheelchair now. Just ignore his behaviour and treat him as you always have.

You have had Chows longer than I have so you probably know them better than I do but my Milly is quite aloof with us and very seldom, very seldom kisses us and will only tolerate the briefest of cuddles. Mabel is more affectionate with us - but not a lot. But, we can see the love in their eyes! :) :)

Your boy is probably a bit puzzled and maybe he needs time to work it out.
Just carry on loving him and look at his eyes - you will, I am sure see the love there. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
jimbo42
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jimbo42 »

Thank You So So Much You Made My Day Judy That Was Very Sweet Of You :) Telling Me That Yes I Do See Love In His Eyes & A Big Smile & A Wagging Tail. I Can Tell Your Lovely Chows Are Extremely Lucky To Have You & Your Family Taking Care Of Them Because I Know You All Will Never Run Short On Love For Them.Have A Great Weekend Judy :)
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Don't take it personally. I'm pretty sure it's about the actual wheelchair and the intelligence of the breed. My mom has to use a wheelchair from time to time. When Zhu was the only chow, the three of us would go to the beach. Zhu always would walk a gentle distance from my mom and her wheelchair so as not to get in the way, yet be close enough to me and my mom all while he was on leash. I never taught him that, he just knew it instinctively. Currently, with my mom I've had to bring her inside the house wheelchair and all, as well as having to roll her around from one corner of the living room to the other corner of the house - the dining room, both Pooh Bear and Zhu greet my mom with a loving welcome, but immediately move out of the way so my mom can be safely wheeled about. When I wheel her to the dining table, both often just sit near my mom because they like being around her and they seem mindful of what her wheelchair is and is not (meaning, it's not am ordinary chair). When the wheelchair is folded and in the corner, they both like to lie near it. I guess they enjoy the smells of the outside on it. Pooh Bear likes to rest her chin in between the spokes. Here, to make you smile, I'll post a photo for you to see.

So don't worry. Your baby still loves you. It's the chair. It's big...it has wheels...it rolls...and I'm sure your baby senses in you the cautions you need to take while using it and is being respectful.
debbie and bones

your chow

Post by debbie and bones »

I felt so sad for you when I read your post that you are feeling snubbed by your chow. My immediate thought was that your chow may have sensed your stress and may not be snubbing you at all, but aware of the change in you - like that you are emotionally not yourself due to the change in your mobility and your sensitivity and heightened watching of his behavior. Just be yourself and act the way you have always acted toward him and he will get used to your wheelchair over time. It sounds like a big change for all of you!
PS When my chow Bear would see me crying he would always shy away from coming near me. It made me sad that the time when I needed him most, he did not come and comfort me (like let me hug him and cry into his fur). My chow Bones, does let me do this and sees it as his job! Such different personalities.

Take care! Debbie and Bones
jimbo42
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jimbo42 »

A vet on a call in tv show told me it might be his eyesight that he doesnt see me as well. could be the hair growing into the eyes called etropion or something like that he had the surgery when he was young

Vet says it can come back the bad thing about it its too hot to even take him to the vet.Temp near 100 with humidity heat index 110 in va.and Im not gonna put him and me through that ordel cause my ling to have a heat stroke no way he's my baby boy raised him from a pup with loads of love and care