Please try to help

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Please try to help

Post by redangie24 »

In the chows that need a home section there are some chows under the topic "Family of Chows Need loving Homes (Can Seperate!)" that are in dire need of a home. I tried to take one, but could not get base housing to allow me to take another chow at this time. My heart is really breaking for them. If anyone knows of anyone who can help then please pass the info on. They have posted pictures and they are all so very beautiful. Please Please if you can help...
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
thekidsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Please try to help

Post by thekidsmom »

redangie24 wrote:In the chows that need a home section there are some chows under the topic "Family of Chows Need loving Homes (Can Seperate!)" that are in dire need of a home. I tried to take one, but could not get base housing to allow me to take another chow at this time. My heart is really breaking for them. If anyone knows of anyone who can help then please pass the info on. They have posted pictures and they are all so very beautiful. Please Please if you can help...
I would love to help but i am in new york
i would being to foster them but how could we get them here?
Any ideas i would willing at least try!
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

As for any ideas -- we have a lot of members along the road from Central Florida to New York. Would it be possible to use the Frapper map to set up a Chow Express relay to bring the Chows to thekidsmom. Something like mytwodoxies links up with RedAngie who passes the off to VTChow who passes off to someone else in NJ or MD who passes off to New York. It may not be a great idea, but it's all I got.
thekidsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thekidsmom »

jerryo wrote:As for any ideas -- we have a lot of members along the road from Central Florida to New York. Would it be possible to use the Frapper map to set up a Chow Express relay to bring the Chows to thekidsmom. Something like mytwodoxies links up with RedAngie who passes the off to VTChow who passes off to someone else in NJ or MD who passes off to New York. It may not be a great idea, but it's all I got.
if you can get them to me .I will foster them up to 3 or 4 if need be, till i can them or every one together can get forever homes for them.
if any wants to help get in touch with mytwodoxies (and myself) and let her know what you are willing to do it as she can better judge who need to go the most if we can get this worked out?
any one that wants to get in touch with me pm me
i will either give my phone #or i can call any one as i have free calling or email address.
the kids mom Aka Lenita
Jess04920
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jess04920 »

I am willing to take one of them and have PMed mytwodoxies regarding it. I will introduce him to my boys and if they can't get along I will foster him until I can find a good forever home. I have a lot of resuce resources in my area that are no kills so if worse comes to worse, I could find a family easy. I will keep whoever I get and just keep him seperated if they can't get along, not give him to a shelter. I live in Florida so I really feel that I should do all that I can and have spread the word to everyone I know. So, hopefully at least one will be out of there and hopefully that will help the owner with expenses and the over crowding. So, I'll keep you posted whenever I hear back from her.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

I can't take one right now and I feel horrible about it. Nina's ill again, and we're fighting for her life. :cry:

I can help with transport through Florida if you need me to.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Jess04920
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jess04920 »

Michele,

Don't feel horrible at all!! You need to take care of Nina right now...that's what's most important. You have plenty to deal with already. You're all in my prayers.
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

I would totally be open to a transport!

The dogs are located in Citrus County, Florida.
Two local zip codes are 34465 and 34434 just so you can synchronize your google/mapquest maps to figure out where the dogs are.

Now, for us it would probably work best if the owner rented a van for the first leg, or he took one in his truck cab and my husband and I took one in our truck or made sure we got two that were the smallest to see if they would fit (we have a crew cab).

For the dogs, would it be better to have the owner out of it and pick them up at the house so it wouldn't be as hard getting them from transport leg 1 to the next car?? I don't know!

Also, i will see if i can get some crates for the first leg. Hopefully everyone will have crates to use - but just in case...

Guys- i will also post this on the dachshund board. You never ever know - someone might be able to fill in a gap as some doxie owners have other types of dogs or might have had a dog like these before
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

Rogansmommy wrote:I can't take one right now and I feel horrible about it. Nina's ill again, and we're fighting for her life. :cry:

I can help with transport through Florida if you need me to.
Ditto what everyone else said - we have to take care of our dogs first.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

I'm in Hillsborough, just south of Citrus. We may also have a crate or two lying around that could be used for transport. Let me know.
Michele

Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

If you send me the information, I will cross post on the rottie forum as well. They are used to transporting large breed dogs with bad raps that are really sweet.
Michele

mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

ANOTHER UPDATE: the landlord is giving til the 1st to get out (but still doesn't know about the dogs). So i have to act FAST.

I just spoke with jessica and we are going to coordinate for her to meet the dogs sometime when her schedule allows this week. If worse comes to worse, we might be able to board the two she is thinking about if it gets "close" timewise until she gets to meet them.

I am also writing to a rescue that didn't have room before that's local too - never hurts to ask. I am just trying to use all angles because if i only have til the 1st to get these dogs out now that's not much time.

If anyone is from FLorida who would temporarily foster a dog (for a couple days to keep them safe until transport) let me know.

Also, i would imagine whoever was transporting would require them to already be spayed and neutered. We may have a problem getting them all done before they are evicted.
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

Michele is calling to see if any of her contacts are willing to help.

I will keep you all updated!
my rolodex is flipping away too
Jess04920
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jess04920 »

Chris,

I've contacted two Chow Rescues today and am waiting to hear back. Also calling Safe Harbor waiting on the woman who knows about this kind of stuff to get in. I did find out that Dogs and Cats Forever which is a local No-Kill has no problem with Chows...so that's a great sign. I just have to get in touch with them.

Will let you know when I hear anything.
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

You are awesome!

Hopefully something will "pop" today and I can make plans to get a dog or two out right away.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

My cat person is full, but she gave me some organizations, including low-cost spay/neuter. I will email them to you after I'm done here.

My dog person is getting back to me. She doesn't have any room but might know of people who can help.
Michele

Jess04920
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jess04920 »

I also have a few places that offer low cost spay/neuter. Let me know if you need that information. I also am waiting to hear back from several people. Will follow up with all of them tomorrow and keep you posted.
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

if any of those contacts can even take on a dog temporarily if they can't take anyone permanently, that would also be very cool.

Well, things have gone from bad to worse. The older dog (the old chow he is keeping) bit one of the younger ones. The dog isn't bleeding, but is a little hurt. I am going to try and see if i can get the older dog neutered even though it will not help the ones that i am trying to find places for.

We have low cost spay/neuter here - 60 for the boys, 70 for the girls that one group does - they have a van. The big problem is twofold (well getting an appointment also) 1) there is no quiet place for the dogs to recover (at home). the home is filthy and even though he tries i don't trust a dog staying there healing from surgery in case they get infected (and for the fact there is no real place to keep the other dogs away as it is a tiny house). Even though they are good dogs, if one is weakened pack mentality can take over. 2) he doesn't have the funds to spay/nueter everyone immediately this week.

If there was a spay/neuter clinic that was willing to let the dogs stay a few days to recover out your way then it might be a good prospect.
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

jerryo wrote:As for any ideas -- we have a lot of members along the road from Central Florida to New York. Would it be possible to use the Frapper map to set up a Chow Express relay to bring the Chows to thekidsmom. Something like mytwodoxies links up with RedAngie who passes the off to VTChow who passes off to someone else in NJ or MD who passes off to New York. It may not be a great idea, but it's all I got.
I am thinking that it would be an excellent idea to start doing this. It doesn't look like i will be able to find a situation for every single one of them locally. I don't think anyone would be able to take all 3 at once, but even if we were able to do the amount we can (even if its just one dog) it will make a huge difference.
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

kidsmom-- there are 3 left how many can you foster?
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

redangie24 wrote:kidsmom-- there are 3 left how many can you foster?
Actually, i was still thinking there were four left. I must have missed a post. I think i said 3 to transport because that is what kidsmom said she originally could take. 5 minus the one Jessica is taking = 4. (and just hoping one of the rescues down there pops and has room for one). but my math skills escape me.

If Jessica gets here and choose the cream boy - i would want to send the black boy to NY. I know black dogs sometimes get overlooked in shelters and rather he be in a foster home because he is such a great dog. (but of course her choice could go either way)

I found a yahoo group that is a rescue railroad group maybe i can post to to see if there is anybody there who would fill in if we can't pull it together
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

Okay - i got an email from someone i know with a rescue in gainesville. she is willing to help set up a transport on the internet. thekidsmom - what exact town do you live in? that way we can start to get to work.
thekidsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thekidsmom »

mytwodoxies wrote:Okay - i got an email from someone i know with a rescue in gainesville. she is willing to help set up a transport on the internet. thekidsmom - what exact town do you live in? that way we can start to get to work.
Sorry i have been off line
it will be easier to have me pick them in Watertown ny
i pm'ed my town if you need it
well i have room for 3 as long as i can foster them and get them homes in the next couple months
one at time sounds wonderful more time to spend with them after they are fixed,
the black is fine whatever needs me the most will work for me i just liked the cream one :wink: but if some else likes him and is willing to take him let him go!!
if i do take the black one please let me know how he is with other dogs and if you know cats too as i have wild ones to house cats here too
the kids mom aka lenita
Jess04920
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jess04920 »

Lenita and Chris,

It doesn't matter to me which dog I get as long as it's a male, that's why I said between Bear and Boo Boo. If Lenita likes Boo Boo (the cream chowboy) that's fine, it would probably be better to take Bear anyway because he's black and looks a bit inimidating, I don't know how he'd do in a shelter. I have no problem taking him. I am still trying to figure things out on this end as far as rescues and have gotten some promising feedback so far. Should know more this afternoon. I think if Lenita is willing to take them, go ahead and work out a way to get them up there. Being with a loving family who understands and accepts them is better than a rescue anyday...no matter how good the rescue is. I would much rather know they're safe and out of harms way and that way we can keep tabs on them and see how everything works out.

I'll let you all know what I find out for the rest of them...
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

Great! You won't be disappointed. Bear is an absolutely wonderful dog.

I think i will start putting the wheels in motion to get one or two dogs initially to Lenita as I am sure no rescue would take all three.

Lenita, PM me your phone number. I have someone who was willing to help coordibate the run. Is there anyone from this board who is willing to help out and take part of the trip? i can pass the info on?